The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, knowledge management, organizational knowledge

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 16th September 2016, 07:13 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,253
Re: Meeting ISO 9001:2015 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge Requirements

Always have some people in your organization who can stand up and say or talk about WHY a particular things is being done in a specific way. This perhaps is the simplest practical suggestion.....

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 16th September 2016, 08:18 AM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,985

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Big Jim View Post

As evidence of adequate organizational knowledge I would point to your Quality Objective / KPI results. If the numbers are stellar, and they should be if your system is working well with appropriate levels of knowledge, that is evidence that you have determined what you need to know, applied it, and maintained it.
KPI results that are achieved desired/expected targets is only part of a successful process. HOW they were achieved is the other part...the practices/activities in place.

Process = KPI + Practices ... at least, this is the "formula" I use.

If a company has defined and consistently applied practices AND is achieving the desired results...yay! Life is good.

If a company has defined and consistently applied practices BUT is not achieving the desired results, it's time for a discussion.

If a company has no defined practices or practices that are inconsistently applied BUT is achieving the desired results, it's time for a discussion.

If a company has no defined practices or practices that are inconsistently applied AND is not achieve the desired results...we really need to have a talk.

What if results are achieved because one person has the knowledge to correct/prevent issues (i.e., that experienced employee) before it becomes something major or high risk? How many of us know at least one person in the organization who has more information/experience in their little finger than the rest of the department's combined brain power? How do you capture that knowledge? What happens if that person wins the lottery or retires?

I agree that not everything needs to be defined or documented, but organizations should also consider the risk of NOT documenting knowledge or finding some way to capture and harness it for ongoing, consistent use.
Thank You to RoxaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 16th September 2016, 08:40 AM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 541

One way I document this is through a "Versatility Matrix" (I think this may exist somewhere on this site as a post attachment) - Every employee is listed, along with every shop skill and process, along with certifications (like welding) etc. including CAD, administrative, computer , etc. There is a ranking 1 to 3 for skill level across the columns for each listed 'skill'. I can see at a glance who needs training, where to cross train, and when there is a excessive build up of skills, or a lack of skills. We tailor our training to meet these needs. It is a useful matrix for many things across the board.
  Post Number #12  
Old 16th September 2016, 11:29 AM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,950

Organizational knowledge is a pretty interesting concept and has a nice library of material to borrow on. Here is the link to a paper from 1994. Yes it's long and a bit stuffy. But it is a heavily cited paper, and does an excellent job of covering what is knowledge and how to capture it:

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/2306109...e/ATT00010.pdf

The first thing I might do is develop an understanding of what is knowledge (vs. information) and tacit knowledge versus explicit knowledge. Next, I would address where this knowledge resides in the organization and where it is stored:
  • Do we document on the job training?
  • Do we have sufficient measures/feedback loop that training was effective?
  • Do we have provisions of transferring tacit knowledge to explicit knowledge and vice versa?
Another approach might be to consider why Organizational knowledge matters:
  • It is an asset. It is something the company "paid for" in one form or another.
  • It is a competitive advantage. An organization may have a real Value they add based on their organizational knowledge. They certainly don't want to lose it or cut it out of the process.
  • "Hollowing Out". Meredith uses this term to describe when an organization outsources so many processes (and the corresponding knowledge) that they "forget" how to be good anymore. They can't create/develop a new competitive advantage, because... they don't know how.
  • From a Risk mitigation standpoint, to minimize process interruptions due to loss of knowledge. You have a particular process activity, and only one person knows how to do it. What happens when that person leaves or something happens to them?
I would suggest analyzing/ reviewing the organization where knowledge may accumulate/ be stored. Next, develop a culture where knowledge sharing is encouraged, as it makes all employees more knowledgeable (and thus, more valuable and more marketable). Then develop tools to measure and capture this knowledge; or at least recognize it for its value.
Thank You to BradM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 18th September 2016, 07:03 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 817

That is an excellent paper, Brad, thanks for sharing!

It is amazing to me how similar Nonaka's cycle of organizational knowledge creation is to Deming's PDCA. I think they may even be the same thing: another perspective on what Mayfield calls The Engine of Complexity?

Last edited by Pancho; 18th September 2016 at 07:08 PM.
  Post Number #14  
Old 19th September 2016, 12:40 PM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,950

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Pancho View Post

That is an excellent paper, Brad, thanks for sharing!

It is amazing to me how similar Nonaka's cycle of organizational knowledge creation is to Deming's PDCA. I think they may even be the same thing: another perspective on what Mayfield calls The Engine of Complexity?
Yea... incredible how much ends up coming full circle back to Deming.

He was an amazing man.
  Post Number #15  
Old 26th September 2016, 10:26 AM
bigqman

Total Posts: 65

Thank you very much for instigating this discussion! It was a bit of a jolt to refer to the 2008 and 2015 correlation matrices to cross reference 7.1.6 Organizational knowledge and see "No equivalent (2008) clause".
  Post Number #16  
Old 28th November 2016, 11:13 AM
Solitude

Total Posts: 22

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

There is some interesting stuff on here and I am wiser for having read that paper.
I am interested in how people are approaching this requirement and tackling the issue for their organisations. Can anyone offer anything? Thanks.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >