The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, knowledge management, organizational knowledge

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 28th November 2016, 12:59 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 259
Re: Meeting ISO 9001:2015 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge Requirements

Context of the organization: Small machine shop

Current training and development program: Hire the right people (based on Job Descriptions, resume, engineering exam-on our controlled form-results, and personal interview) and train to a matrix.

The matrix describes the "organizational knowledge" we need to maintain.

Everything else, as we are a small machine shop, is based off what the person knows coming in.

Outside of our ability to control is the Education system, parental child rearing, lack of apprenticeships in America, etc.... in other words, don't overthink it!

Risks- wrong person. Mitigation- Supervision and a 90 day hiring policy (90 day probationary period).

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 28th November 2016, 01:35 PM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,803

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Solitude View Post

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

There is some interesting stuff on here and I am wiser for having read that paper.
I am interested in how people are approaching this requirement and tackling the issue for their organisations. Can anyone offer anything? Thanks.
In the simplest fashion it would be to make sure that you have people on the your staff that know what they are doing and that you find ways to obtain additional knowledge when you become aware of the need.
Thank You to Big Jim for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #19  
Old 30th November 2016, 10:12 PM
maggylu168

Total Posts: 19

Every company has her own secrets to succeed. Such secrets can be described in a process way with suitable resources. Man's competence is a major part of the resources to succeed in most company, and his/her experiences should be captured as the organization knowledge. However, it is only one source of it. My idea is each organization should identify its best competence to sustain and keep this with its relevant know-how in documented information. Take coca cola as an example. I guess its main organization knowledge is her secret recipe, instead of employee's knowledge.

Last edited by maggylu168; 30th November 2016 at 10:17 PM.
  Post Number #20  
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:22 AM
Solitude

Total Posts: 22

Thanks for the comments. I think that I am going to keep this is as simple as possible and the competence angle captures the knowledge the guys who build things need to have to produce acceptable quality product. We keep a design library for technical design elements, and as new technology becomes available, we identify the knowledge we need to integrate into our designs and this gets added to the design library.

Is it wise to document how we go about it? i.e. how do we identify, obtain, store, maintain, review and communicate the knowledge required by the company, or just demonstrate that we do it.
  Post Number #21  
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:29 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,254

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Solitude View Post

Thanks for the comments. I think that I am going to keep this is as simple as possible and the competence angle captures the knowledge the guys who build things need to have to produce acceptable quality product. We keep a design library for technical design elements, and as new technology becomes available, we identify the knowledge we need to integrate into our designs and this gets added to the design library.

Is it wise to document how we go about it? i.e. how do we identify, obtain, store, maintain, review and communicate the knowledge required by the company, or just demonstrate that we do it.
Demonstration with confidence and assurance is the way to go. As a document, I would double up a good process validation document and record for this purpose, where the validation team members are named.
  Post Number #22  
Old 12th January 2017, 04:13 PM
QChas

Total Posts: 71

Just remember what Dean Wormer instilled into the minds of Faber College students ..... "Knowledge Is Good"

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 13th January 2017 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Image quote missing
  Post Number #23  
Old 12th January 2017, 10:41 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,021
Re: Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge Requirements

With knowledge management we hope to maintain craftsmanship in addition to skills. There are things schools can't teach. The long-experienced machinist also knows how the equipment behaves and how to use it, especially with older equipment. There might be pairing up so the more experienced craftsmen can teach the newer, younger technicians.

For HR Managers, it can mean establishing a "skills inventory" so projects can tap into a special skill that did not get included in employees' resumes because the job advertisement did not originally include it.

It can also mean ensuring all the needed tasks are done during reorganizations. I once went to a recently assigned ESD program manager in order to schedule an internal audit, only to learn he had never been told he was now the ESD Manager (and all the other stuff that comes with new responsibilities). Yes, really.
  Post Number #24  
Old 13th January 2017, 12:33 AM
Billy M

Total Posts: 17
Re: Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge Requirements

I am also including items such as subscription to industry periodicals, persons who participate in industry forums, as well as the documented information in a company. I have added a section to the Management Review meeting template to identify areas where the company has determined how some of the organizational knowledge is identified and present within their system.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >