The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 - Page 4

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, knowledge management, organizational knowledge

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 13th January 2017, 09:13 AM
Englishman Abroad

Total Posts: 45
Re: Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge Requirements

All,

In addition to keeping information, we are looking into the succession planning process from a remplacement time perspective (i.e. risk of loss of knowledge perspective ).

e.g. It may only take a few months to find a new HR manager who has the competency and qualifications to replace the current person, but to replace the skilled production team leader that everyone uses to perform difficult job set ups in production may take years of specific experience of our parts, processes and machinery.

I think that a documentation (information only) based response to this clause will not (in our case) be sufficient. We are also evaluting mentoring etc. as a possible response in these cases.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 24th January 2017, 06:05 AM
sadamson

Total Posts: 4

Hi,
1. If no documentation is required (no process, no procedure, no records) how do prove that you have determined what knowledge is necessary?
2. How do you maintain, capture and share the knowledge if there are no records?

As stated in ISO knowledge is gained by experience and it means an event must take place (success/failure). Does the standard just ask that we have a discussion afterwards and that's that (no records needed)?

or to make everyone's life easier would it be better to maybe add a knowledge section in the monthly review and document?

or is it better to have a shared folder were people can dump stuff like conference papers, new standards, articles?

Lastly, 99% of people who leave couldn't give a damn about sharing anything!

I'm in the pharmaceutical wholesale business.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Post Number #27  
Old 24th January 2017, 06:13 AM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,803

This is new territory. No one has figured it our yet.
  Post Number #28  
Old 24th January 2017, 12:30 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 259

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Big Jim View Post

This is new territory. No one has figured it our yet.
I believe most successful companies do these things, just that they might not have established the "documented information" required to provide objective evidence yet.
  Post Number #29  
Old 24th January 2017, 01:33 PM
bigqman

Total Posts: 65

ERP systems - depending on the degree to which they are implemented - serve as a organizational knowledge management system component, since its underlying technology is the relational database.
Thanks to bigqman for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #30  
Old 24th January 2017, 01:56 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 8,889

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sadamson View Post

Hi,
1. If no documentation is required (no process, no procedure, no records) how do prove that you have determined what knowledge is necessary?
2. How do you maintain, capture and share the knowledge if there are no records?

As stated in ISO knowledge is gained by experience and it means an event must take place (success/failure). Does the standard just ask that we have a discussion afterwards and that's that (no records needed)?
There is no simplistic, one-size-fits-all answer to this. The knowledge acquired from a business blunder might get hard coded in a Verification & Validation protocol; for example, if I am a global organization which just spent billions of dollars in a product recall of products having their batteries exploding and being banned from all commercial flights, worldwide, I will make sure that, as I am validating new products which also contain batteries, the lessons learned (organizational knowledge) from the previous fiasco never get repeated, by instituting a much more thorough V&V process, defined in a NPI (New Product Introduction) Manual.

If I am an organization that got stiffed by a customer for lack of payment, which almost took me out of business, I will institute a process in my customer acquisition process that requires a credit check of that potential customer, before I engage in any project that requires significant expenditures. That "knowledge" is captured in a process and associated accompanying procedure titled "Customer acquisition and engagement"

Organizational knowledge, just like corrective action, is designed to make organizations, more effective, efficient and, as importantly, avoid repeat mistakes. Failure to learn from mistakes is just another trait of dysfunctional organizations.

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 24th January 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #31  
Old 24th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 817

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

There is no simplistic, one-size-fits-all answer to this. The knowledge acquired from a business blunder might get hard coded in a Verification & Validation protocol; for example, if I am a global organization which just spent billions of dollars in a product recall of products having their batteries exploding and being banned from all commercial flights, worldwide, I will make sure that, as I am validating new products which also contain batteries, the lessons learned (organizational knowledge) from the previous fiasco never get repeated, by instituting a much more thorough V&V process, defined in a NPI (New Product Introduction) Manual.

If I am an organization that got stiffed by a customer for lack of payment, which almost took me out of business, I will institute a process in my customer acquisition process that requires a credit check of that potential customer, before I engage in any project that requires significant expenditures. That "knowledge" is captured in a process and associated accompanying procedure titled "Customer acquisition and engagement"

Organizational knowledge, just like corrective action, is designed to make organizations, more effective, efficient and, as importantly, avoid repeat mistakes. Failure to learn from mistakes is just another trait of dysfunctional organizations.
Agree, Sidney. In other words, knowledge must ultimately be captured into the management system in order to be useful. Corrective action is one way of capturing such knowledge.

Dumping papers into a server, or having a lessons-learned meeting, or even training, by themselves, are not acquiring permanent knowledge for the organization. Those activities may indeed be steps in the acquisition of knowledge. But the knowledge gels only when it is part of a process description. It does not need to be written down. It can be "tacit" knowledge. Such mode of knowledge is fragile at best. Knowledge really becomes useful only when transformed into explicit knowledge in the form of management system documents.

As the paper that Brad shared earlier in this thread lays out, there is a knowledge creation loop that is, IMO, the PDCA cycle but viewed from a different angle.
Thank You to Pancho for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #32  
Old 24th January 2017, 03:54 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 8,889

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Pancho View Post

Dumping papers into a server, or having a lessons-learned meeting, or even training, by themselves, are not acquiring permanent knowledge for the organization. Those activities may indeed be steps in the acquisition of knowledge. But the knowledge gels only when it is part of a process description.
If the (organizational) knowledge is not hard-coded somehow in the business processes, the organization is destined to repeat or incur in the same mistake.

Dumping papers into a server aiming at knowledge preservation seems as effective as dancing for rain in the desert.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >