The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 - Page 7

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, knowledge management, organizational knowledge

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #49  
Old 11th August 2017, 10:04 AM
LUV-d-4UM

Total Posts: 754
Re: ISO 9001:2015 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge

Hi Colin.
Thank you for your response. Does a MATRIX of responsibilities not relate to 7.1.6?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #50  
Old 1st September 2017, 01:52 PM
robertwalker

Total Posts: 6
Re: Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6

I'm pretty new to Quality Management and ISO, but this clause seems pretty clear to me. I keep hearing people talk about relational databases, successional training ect.

"The organization shall determine the knowledge necessary for the operation of its processes and to acheive conformity of producdts and services." We have determined that knowledge and put it into processes and detailed process instructions, that is the knowledge necessary for the operation of the processes.

"This knowledge shall be maintained and made available to the extent necessary". We have documented process instructions describing how to make product.

"When addressing changing needs and trends, the organization shall consider its current knowlede and determine how to acquire or access necessary additional knowledge and required updates". Our engineering department developes new process by taking into consideration old processes and developing new ones, and records the data.

Where does the clause insuate that we need to do anymore than what I have mentioned?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #51  
Old 1st September 2017, 03:51 PM
DRAMMAN

Total Posts: 218

It does not. We just went through our audit last week. The auditor said this clause really has no specific requirements so just about anything you do arround hiring, training, or process documentation will allow you to satisfy the requirement. Kind of a useless clause if you ask me (from a standards perspective).

Essentially, it will be very hard for an auditor to ever right you a non-conformance.
Thank You to DRAMMAN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #52  
Old 1st September 2017, 05:15 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 8,889

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DRAMMAN View Post

It does not. We just went through our audit last week. The auditor said this clause really has no specific requirements so just about anything you do arround hiring, training, or process documentation will allow you to satisfy the requirement. Kind of a useless clause if you ask me (from a standards perspective).

Essentially, it will be very hard for an auditor to ever right you a non-conformance.
I think we have to keep in mind the tremendous variation among auditors, especially when we are dealing with a new requirement of the ISO 9001 standard where very little "jurisprudence" has been developed. Just because one auditor thinks or acts one way, it does not mean that another one will follow suit.

Further, the aspect of knowledge management depends a lot on the context of the organization and let me offer a few examples:
  • A start up organization, for example, is typically acquiring knowledge at a very fast pace and might have serious challenges managing knowledge in overload.
  • An organization that has a high workforce turnover rate might struggle with the onboarding of new hires at an accelerated pace.
  • An organization that is broadening it's business context, such as, for example, a machine shop that wants to expand from aerospace to medical device customers might have to gain regulatory knowledge in a short amount of time.
  • An organization that has a significant number of experienced people retiring soon will experience brain drain if KM is not properly managed.
So, context of the organization will impact significantly the importance of and risks associated with RoCK - Retention of Critical Knowledge.

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 1st September 2017 at 06:19 PM.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #53  
Old 7th September 2017, 02:55 PM
RCW

Total Posts: 473

Just started looking at this clause. The first thing that came to mind, prior to getting to Note 1 & Note 2, was "Gee, that sounds like using lessons learned." Glad to see Note 2 gave support to that thought.

I'm working in a manufacturing environment. The knowledge necessary for the operation of my company is all procedures, documents and records within my QMS. For addressing needs and trends my supporting records are the revised inspection requirements that are generated just when you thought your supplier had cleaned up and prevented any further possible error. Also during and after a job is worked on (product is built), the manufacturing instructions are tweaked as required to provide more complete manufacturing information for next time (The official curse here is "We'll never build that part again!").

Some of what I'm seeing here is charts, matrices and other records being generated just to have records to show an auditor. I'd rather discuss with an auditor how I interpreted the requirement and implemented it than to do busy work creating unused pretty graphs.
  Post Number #54  
Old 7th September 2017, 09:57 PM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,803

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCW View Post

Just started looking at this clause. The first thing that came to mind, prior to getting to Note 1 & Note 2, was "Gee, that sounds like using lessons learned." Glad to see Note 2 gave support to that thought.

I'm working in a manufacturing environment. The knowledge necessary for the operation of my company is all procedures, documents and records within my QMS. For addressing needs and trends my supporting records are the revised inspection requirements that are generated just when you thought your supplier had cleaned up and prevented any further possible error. Also during and after a job is worked on (product is built), the manufacturing instructions are tweaked as required to provide more complete manufacturing information for next time (The official curse here is "We'll never build that part again!").

Some of what I'm seeing here is charts, matrices and other records being generated just to have records to show an auditor. I'd rather discuss with an auditor how I interpreted the requirement and implemented it than to do busy work creating unused pretty graphs.
Don't get carried away. There are no record retention requirements attached to this clause.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >