Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsISO 9001:2015 - Definition of Opportunities (Per 6.1.1)The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
ISO 9001:2015 - Definition of Opportunities (Per 6.1.1)
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 9001:2015 - Definition of Opportunities (Per 6.1.1) - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
definitions, iso 9001:2015

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:20 PM
Zearl

Total Posts: 10
Re: ISO 9001:2015 - Definition of Opportunities (Per 6.1.1)

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by howste View Post

In ISO 9001:2015 Annex B it says that ISO 9000 "provides an essential background for the proper understanding and implementation" of ISO 9001. ISO 9001 clause 2 says that ISO 9000:2015 is "indispensable for its application." That sounds mandatory to me. However, what you do in your company to help them understand the intent and meaning is up to you.

I don't know why it's not defined in 9000. However, the ISO 9000 introduction has this note:
If you look in that document it says (item 73) that opportunity means chance. Unfortunately that doesn't add much clarity.

I like your definition. I agree that it doesn't conflict with the intent and it makes it more user friendly.
howste,
Appreciate the response and thanks!
I guess I'll quote the 9000:2015 definition, but add some remarks in parenthesis to (think of risk as a negative effect and opportunities as positive effects).

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 24th May 2017, 07:13 AM
Antonio Vieira

Total Posts: 463

Considering the classical definition of quality, which can be easily stated as “assure customer satisfaction”, this standard has ZERO value!
And with the constant decrease in the number of 9001 registered organizations, since the beginning of 2015 version, is it to expect that this version will last the typical 7 or 8 years?
Thanks to Antonio Vieira for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #19  
Old 24th May 2017, 02:47 PM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 571

I agree, I see this standard losing out as well, and mostly from a different perspective. Many of our customers have acted as if 9001 was not enough, and proceeded to add additional requirements on it. 9001 used to be good enough for IRIS, with a few simple addons, now its a nonstarter. The same seems to be true in the other standards. There is a revolt against the fuzziness of 9001:2015 and a subsequent substitution of a proscriptive set of 'best practices'. Sort of a return to the "old ISO 9001". I used to place some trust in a supplier that was registered, but no longer, now I audit them myself.
  Post Number #20  
Old 24th May 2017, 03:09 PM
John C. Abnet

Total Posts: 13

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jga444 View Post

Per 6.1.1 - Actions for Risks and Opportunities

Can anyone give me a definition of an Opportunity. It is not defined in ISO9001 or 9000.

The ISO White Paper - Risk-Based Thinning in ISO 9001:2015 gives the following:

Risk is commonly understood to have only negative consequences; however the effects of risk can be either negative or positive.

In ISO 9001:2015 risks and opportunities are often cited together. Opportunity is not the positive side of risk.

An opportunity is a set of circumstances which makes it possible to do
something. Taking or not taking an opportunity then presents different levels of risk.

At the operational level then, may I look at it this way:

Risk: The risk already exists in our operations and is identified, evaluated and mitigated by actions plans, if we decide to do so.

Opportunity: Circumstances allow us to do something new and beneficial. However, it may increase risks in certain areas, as the results. We would then have an opportunity for improvement buy mitigating the resulting risk by action plans.

Any input is appreciated.

Good day-
In applying the SWOT methodology, you may find this helpful. Think of Strengths and Weakness as traits INTERNAL to your organization and Opportunities and Threats as coming from OUTSIDE of your organization.

Using your data you may find...
1- You have very few problem recurrences. Therefore an internal Strength ("S") would be effective corrective actions).
2- You have numerous nonconformances due to lack of change point control. Therefore, an internal Weakness ("W") would be change point control.
3- You may be only selling your products to a single market, therefore, international or other industries may be an outside Opportunity ("O") to increase market share.
4- You may have a patent expiring soon, therefore an outside Risk ("R") may be competition.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to John C. Abnet for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #21  
Old 16th July 2017, 10:06 AM
QAMTY

Total Posts: 504

Mike
The opportunities may be detected and actions be taken alone?
I thought that would be addressed always only accompanied by one risk.
Please explain,thanks
  Post Number #22  
Old 8th November 2017, 11:48 PM
QAMTY

Total Posts: 504

Dear Howste
Please Comment about my assumptions about opportunity.
A case
Risk of not deliver on time.
Ok, an action plan to lower the risk suppose that the cause is lack of trucks, the mitigation could be to buy a truck, is ok? And an opportunity around this risk, may be to use the truck for other services in other area, is it ok? I have a doubt because in the Iso tc 176, in the well known example "to cross the road" they consider as opportunity, to install a bridge, to install light, etc. Which I consider th ese are mitigation (action plans)
Could you clarify this issue?and give some examples of opportunities tied to a risks?
Thanks
  Post Number #23  
Old 14th November 2017, 10:16 AM
charanjit singh

Total Posts: 111

The example of crossing a busy road to illustrate the positive side of risk (i.e. opportunity) does not seem to have any parallel in its application to quality management system. I have yet to find an example of such an opportunity, envisaged by clause 6.1.1. in this forum (or in other forums that I visit) that could not be covered by clause 10.3 (Continual Improvement)itself.

In fact in a forum I posed this hypothetical case:

"We all know that CB audits are based on sampling only; no sampling plan ensures 100% effectiveness. Taking advantage of this, some clever guys could take a risk and deliberately miss out on compliance with certain requirements and manage to get away with it saving some bucks"

Would that be considered a positive side of risk, comparable to the example of taking a risk and directly crossing a busy road without getting injured, thus save time?

I have received no comments so far.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >