The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Customer Requirement for Certificate of Conformance (CoC)
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Customer Requirement for Certificate of Conformance (CoC) - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
certificate of conformance (c of c), requirements and specifications

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 13th June 2017, 03:33 PM
Edward Reesor

Total Posts: 81
Re: Requirement Of Certificate of Conformance (CoC)

We receive a CoC with every shipment we receive (electronically once everything has been inspected and been shipped), however we have also started receiving requests from end users for a Certificate of Analysis (for a particular batch # no less), which is something altogether different.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 13th June 2017, 04:32 PM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,592

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Edward Reesor View Post

We receive a CoC with every shipment we receive (electronically once everything has been inspected and been shipped), however we have also started receiving requests from end users for a Certificate of Analysis (for a particular batch # no less), which is something altogether different.
Certificate of Analysis is an important part of the documentation.

But the standard CoC stating that the parts meet Contract/PO requirements is a different issue and is just another unnecessary piece of paper, in my opinion. However, if the customer wants it, provide it.
  Post Number #11  
Old 14th June 2017, 08:18 AM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,017

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Coury Ferguson View Post

Certificate of Analysis is an important part of the documentation.
Probably what you meant...but just putting a finer point on it...

"Analysis" is an important part of confirming that the product meets mutually agreed specs.

"Certificate" is a useless piece of dead tree.

As others have stated above...it is simply a record of why you trust your supplier (assuming you do). Don't believe everything you read...CoA or otherwise.
If my product is good, I know it because I analyzed it.
Reporting said analysis costs money.
Reporting it is either built into the price, or there is a separate charge to cover the cost.
  Post Number #12  
Old 14th June 2017, 02:42 PM
harley123

Total Posts: 11

Thanks for all your comments. You have all been very helpful!!!
  Post Number #13  
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:09 AM
ousgg

Total Posts: 10
Re: Requirement Of COC

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

Biggest non-value exercise around. A complete waste. No wonder some places charge for it. Tax on stupidity.
Wow.

I am really surprised to see this in a quality forum of all places.

A C-of-C is a documented statement of conformity to requirements. In terms of the legal reality of how a company does business, it is second only to the purchase order.

How do you address supplied nonconforming product without a C-of-C?
  Post Number #14  
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:24 AM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ousgg View Post

Wow.

I am really surprised to see this in a quality forum of all places.

A C-of-C is a documented statement of conformity to requirements. In terms of the legal reality of how a company does business, it is second only to the purchase order.

How do you address supplied nonconforming product without a C-of-C?
The PO states the requirements. The C of C states that they met the requirements. Does that mean if the supplier doesn't send a C of C you expect them to have shipped nonconforming product?

Suppliers are supposed to ship conforming product every time regardless of any statement of conformity. If the supplier ships bad product with or without a C of C then it gets rejected as it violates the legally binding contract.

I'd be interested to see if there is a statistically significant difference in conforming product between shipments with a C of C and those without. I personally wouldn't expect to see any difference.
Thanks to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:18 PM
ousgg

Total Posts: 10

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by howste View Post

The PO states the requirements. The C of C states that they met the requirements. Does that mean if the supplier doesn't send a C of C you expect them to have shipped nonconforming product?

Suppliers are supposed to ship conforming product every time regardless of any statement of conformity. If the supplier ships bad product with or without a C of C then it gets rejected as it violates the legally binding contract.

I'd be interested to see if there is a statistically significant difference in conforming product between shipments with a C of C and those without. I personally wouldn't expect to see any difference.
This is over-simplistic in my view. If I design a B8256 widget and a set of process controls for it, and I PPAP this widget to ensure a supplier's capacity and capability to follow those controls, then I expect the supplier to certify that they have acted in conformance with those process controls, even if I know 75% of them are unnecessary. Cs-of-A and material certs, as mentioned above, probably contain plenty of data that is unnecessary for product performance, and we all know there can be 'hidden' defects in goods which are not easily apparent on incoming inspection.

The C-of-C is a supplier's only way of demonstrating accountability that process controls and other non-manifest requirements (NDT?) have been followed.
  Post Number #16  
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:52 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,340

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ousgg View Post

The C-of-C is a supplier's only way of demonstrating accountability that process controls and other non-manifest requirements (NDT?) have been followed.
In my experience, the vast majority of CoC's are meaningless documents issued and signed by an admin clerk, who, typically has no clue of what they are signing. The reality is: CoC's, many times, are a legacy bureaucracy that adds very little value and it gives customers a false sense of security.

If you want your supplier to be accountable for the products they ship, make sure you are doing business with suppliers that have integrity, perform a thorough assessment of the supplier's capabilities and have a mutually beneficial relationship with that supplier.

The CoC paper or electronic equivalent can only be relied upon, if and when you did your homework in selecting and developing that supplier.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >