The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

NC if word "development" stated in Policy?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, design and development, policies and policy statements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 19th February 2018, 12:27 PM
qualprod

Total Posts: 157
Question NC if word "development" stated in Policy?

Hi guys

Could you give some advice on the next issue:

If a defined non applicability of 8.3 (design and development) , really dont apply 8.3

Can I include the word "development" in the quality policy to emphasize
that even if we dont do 8.3 , we "develop" the product, something like
to say that we are achieving great products applying efforts and knowledge.

Does this point deserve an NC? if yes, which clause is based on?

IŽd like to hear your input.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 19th February 2018, 12:58 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,465
re: NC if word "development " stated in Policy?

If you say you "develop" and then exclude development, you just cause confusion. I could definitely see an auditor question your exclusion based on your quality policy. I wouldn't risk it. Where does it get you? Who even looks at the quality policy after the first week anyway?
Thank You to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 19th February 2018, 01:37 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,755
re: NC if word "development" stated in Policy?

Every word or comment in your policy is auditable so if you say your going to do something and you have no evidence to support your claim then it could become a problem.
Thanks to Randy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 19th February 2018, 02:08 PM
John C. Abnet

Total Posts: 48

Good day @qualprod
Let me first state that you have already received some good input/advice regarding your question. I would further suggest that you specify within your organization's required scope (clause 4.3) which clauses you are claiming not applicable (along with the required "...justification for any ...not applicable ..."). Keep in mind that regardless of whether or not your organization provides product design, clause 4.3.1 specifically indicates that "...manufacturing process design" is not to be excluded." This is all the more reason (as noted by @Golfman25) to consider avoiding confusion regarding possible exclusions within the Quality Policy.
Please allow me to also point out a potential concern with statement "Can I include...". The Quality Policy is a "big deal" as it establishes what I call the "corporate intent". Per the clause 5.2.1 it points to the "strategic direction", "framework for objectives" and "commitments" established by "Top Management". For that reason (and because it is the correct approach) I am hoping that your organization's "Top Management" is indeed involved in the establishment of the Quality Policy as required.
Hope this helps.
Thanks to John C. Abnet for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 19th February 2018, 02:56 PM
Golfman25

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by John C. Abnet View Post

Good day @qualprod
Let me first state that you have already received some good input/advice regarding your question. I would further suggest that you specify within your organization's required scope (clause 4.3) which clauses you are claiming not applicable (along with the required "...justification for any ...not applicable ..."). Keep in mind that regardless of whether or not your organization provides product design, clause 4.3.1 specifically indicates that "...manufacturing process design" is not to be excluded." This is all the more reason (as noted by @Golfman25) to consider avoiding confusion regarding possible exclusions within the Quality Policy.
Please allow me to also point out a potential concern with statement "Can I include...". The Quality Policy is a "big deal" as it establishes what I call the "corporate intent". Per the clause 5.2.1 it points to the "strategic direction", "framework for objectives" and "commitments" established by "Top Management". For that reason (and because it is the correct approach) I am hoping that your organization's "Top Management" is indeed involved in the establishment of the Quality Policy as required.
Hope this helps.
I think you may be confusing the ISO and IATF requirements. ISO allows you to exclude design and development if you are not design responsible. IATF brings "manufacturing process design and development" back in as not excludable.
Thanks to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 19th February 2018, 03:16 PM
John C. Abnet

Nope....no confusion. This is what I pointed out in my post "
...clause 4.3.1 specifically indicates that "...manufacturing process design" is not to be excluded." Clause 4.3.1 is specific to IATF 16949:2016.
  Post Number #7  
Old 19th February 2018, 05:00 PM
Golfman25

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by John C. Abnet View Post

Nope....no confusion. This is what I pointed out in my post "
...clause 4.3.1 specifically indicates that "...manufacturing process design" is not to be excluded." Clause 4.3.1 is specific to IATF 16949:2016.
Yes, but this discussion is under the ISO 9001 QMS sub forum. IATF is a different topic.
  Post Number #8  
Old 20th February 2018, 05:35 AM
John C. Abnet

Re: NC if word "development" stated in Policy?

Indeed. That is correct...thank you.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >