The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 16th April 2018, 11:41 PM
evastok

Total Posts: 3
Please Help! ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production

We are setting up a new plant in Mexico where we will transfer the production from our main and already certified plant in China. Our customer request at least ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before starting deliveries to them. Can we do the ISO9001 certification before starting the production? I can not find any requirement in ISO document about how long you need to run the production before you can ask for certification, however here in China, there is a 3 months of running production requirement requested by company who is in charge of ISO certification. Does anybody here have any information about such kind of requirement in Mexico? I need some written official document about this requirement which I could refer to for discussion with customer. Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th April 2018, 08:02 AM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,463
Re: ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production

I would ask your registrar. It would seem very difficult to me to do it without production running.
Thanks to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th April 2018, 09:11 AM
SpinDr99

Total Posts: 64

Registrars I've worked with generally will not perform a certification audit without first reviewing your Quality Manual, and once that's approved, they want to see you using your Quality system for at least 6 months.
  Post Number #4  
Old 17th April 2018, 09:27 AM
rviso

I don't know the costs effect and if it is applicable or not but one idea is to transit the goods trought your certificated plant just for small operation.
  Post Number #5  
Old 17th April 2018, 09:50 AM
Scanton

Total Posts: 58

I have a similar view to others in respect to the fact that “how can you show an auditor that your processes are compliant with your procedures and any given standard without them actually functioning for any given length of time?”

If I moved a production process from one site to another local site, it could introduce any number of unknown variables that I may not have been accounted for, I can only imagine what moving from one continent to another could bring.

I also believe the general rule of thumb is that you would need to show a minimum of six months’ worth of data and/or records to show that what you believe is taking place, is actually taking place.
  Post Number #6  
Old 17th April 2018, 09:59 AM
rviso

It has sense to ask for a full product and process validation as first and then system certification (is not clear if you are transferring also management process or not)
  Post Number #7  
Old 17th April 2018, 05:53 PM
Ron Rompen

Total Posts: 571

Just to throw in my .

When I opened a new plant in Tilbury, the auditor said that one of the requirements for performing the registration audit was for me to have completed one internal audit cycle.

Others have already pointed out how difficult (to impossible) it would be to audit process controls when your process (so far) exists only on paper. I would strongly urge you to contact your registrar and ask them for guidance on this. They are limited to what kind of an answer they can give you, but they will give you some kind of information so that you have a better idea how to proceed.
Thanks to Ron Rompen for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 17th April 2018, 07:31 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,118
Question Re: ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by evastok View Post

We are setting up a new plant in Mexico where we will transfer the production from our main and already certified plant in China. Our customer request at least ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before starting deliveries to them. Can we do the ISO9001 certification before starting the production? I can not find any requirement in ISO document about how long you need to run the production before you can ask for certification, however here in China, there is a 3 months of running production requirement requested by company who is in charge of ISO certification. Does anybody here have any information about such kind of requirement in Mexico? I need some written official document about this requirement which I could refer to for discussion with customer. Thank you very much in advance.
You cannot have (meaningful) ISO 9001 certification without production. It's a requirement to show you have a) objectives, b) processes, c) process measurement and monitoring, d) internal audits, e) management review including feedback from customers and also suppliers and f) improvement.

How will you demonstrate those things without having production?
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >