The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Takt Time vs. Cycle Time vs. Total Cycle Time

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
cycle time, total cycle time, takt (cycle) time

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 19th June 2006, 11:55 AM
tomccchang

Total Posts: 39
Question Takt Time vs. Cycle Time vs. Total Cycle Time

I am confused over takt time, cycle time and total cycle time.

For example, if I have 4 steps to complete one signle production item output, and each step takes :

step 1 : 5 sec (hand insertion)
step 2 : 0.8 sec ( SMT )
step 3 : 8 sec ( 3 machines in series, each machine has 2 sec, 8 sec, 5 sec )
step 4 : 2 sec (AOI)

Can I say the cycle time is 8 sec, while the total cycle time is 15.8 sec ( 5+0.8+8+2 ), and takt time is 5/0.8/8/2 for each step ?

Thanks.
Tom

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 19th June 2006, 01:14 PM
wmarhel

Total Posts: 642
Re: Takt Time vs Cycle Time vs Total Cycle Time

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tomccchang

Can I say the cycle time is 8 sec, while the total cycle time is 15.8 sec ( 5+0.8+8+2 ), and takt time is 5/0.8/8/2 for each step ?

Tom
Since your example process has four operations or steps, each operation would have their own "cycle time" or, the time it takes from the start of one piece until the beginning of the next piece.

"Total cycle time" would be the sum of all the process steps or the 15.8 seconds you calculated.

Takt time is the pace required to satisfy customer demand. For example, on a single 8-hour shift you have 480 minutes of available work. Subtract the time for any paid breaks and/or meetings (start of shift, quality, etc.) For this example we'll take two 10-minute breaks and one 10-minute meeting at the beginning of the shift.

This leaves 480 (total shift time in minutes) - 30 (time for two breaks and one meeting) for a total of 450 available minutes per shift.

If the customer places an order for 900 units, and the parts are scheduled to be produced on a single shift, then the takt time is 1 minute.

450 available minutes / 900 units = .5 minutes (30 seconds) per unit.

As long as the processing time is below the takt time, life is good.

Wayne
Thank You to wmarhel for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 7th April 2008, 05:10 PM
VT-IE

Total Posts: n/a
Re: Takt Time vs. Cycle Time vs. Total Cycle Time

I had this exact same question, thanks for the clarification. But I'd like to take it one step further: Let's say you have a machine that performs overlapping processes within itself(for instance it starts to infeed a new part as it outfeeds a finished part). How do you define the time it takes to complete a part from start to finish? How do you define the time between finished parts coming out of the machine?

Thanks,
Andy
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Geoff Withnell

Total Posts: 341

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by VT-IE View Post

I had this exact same question, thanks for the clarification. But I'd like to take it one step further: Let's say you have a machine that performs overlapping processes within itself(for instance it starts to infeed a new part as it outfeeds a finished part). How do you define the time it takes to complete a part from start to finish? How do you define the time between finished parts coming out of the machine?

Thanks,
Andy

Actually it is not too difficult. Pick some point in the cycle, e.g. when a part clears the machine on the output side. As part 1 reaches this point, start timing. When the 6th part reaches this point, stop timing. Divide elapsed time by 5. This is the cycle time. I measure several cycles to even out rndom variation. How many parts may be in what part of the cycle is really not relevent.

Geoff Withnell
  Post Number #5  
Old 8th April 2008, 05:36 AM
Umang Vidyarthi

Yin Yang Re: Takt Time vs. Cycle Time vs. Total Cycle Time

To sum it up in short:

Takt time : minutes of work per unit produced = T

Available time : Actual available minutes per day/shift =Ta

Total demand : Units required to be produced per day/shift = Td

The Takt time T = Ta / Td

Cycle time : The time interval between start and finish of an operation

Total cycle time : Total time interval between start and finish of all operations.

Umang
  Post Number #6  
Old 8th April 2008, 08:29 AM
VT-IE

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Geoff Withnell View Post

Actually it is not too difficult. Pick some point in the cycle, e.g. when a part clears the machine on the output side. As part 1 reaches this point, start timing. When the 6th part reaches this point, stop timing. Divide elapsed time by 5. This is the cycle time. I measure several cycles to even out rndom variation. How many parts may be in what part of the cycle is really not relevent.

Geoff Withnell
Thanks for the reply Geoff. It looks like both companies I've worked for have been using "takt time" and "cycle time" interchangeably.

Thanks,
Andy
  Post Number #7  
Old 8th April 2008, 08:33 AM
VT-IE

[QUOTE=Umang Vidyarthi;243589]
Cycle time : The time interval between start and finish of an operation/QUOTE]

If there is some overlap in an operation then your definition of "cycle time" may be flawed. For instance, each part may spend 20 seconds in the operation, but because the input and output of the parts are overlapping, a finished part may roll off the end of the operation every 15 seconds.

This is really all semantics, but I'd still like to get my vocabulary corrected.

Thanks,
Andy
  Post Number #8  
Old 8th April 2008, 08:51 AM
Umang Vidyarthi

[QUOTE=VT-IE;243619]
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Umang Vidyarthi View Post

Cycle time : The time interval between start and finish of an operation/QUOTE]

If there is some overlap in an operation then your definition of "cycle time" may be flawed. For instance, each part may spend 20 seconds in the operation, but because the input and output of the parts are overlapping, a finished part may roll off the end of the operation every 15 seconds.

This is really all semantics, but I'd still like to get my vocabulary corrected.

Thanks,
Andy
Hello Andy,

IMO overlapping does not influence the 'cycle time'. The difference due to overlap is recognised in the 'Total cycle time'.

Geof may wish to opine on this.

Umang

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >