The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
lean, lean concepts, lean manufacturing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 24th April 2007, 08:50 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,169
Re: Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from?

Re: butcher analogy
I'm pretty experienced with a knife in a kitchen setting, having learned from commercial chefs and butchers while working as a "kitchen slave" prepping and cooking banquets at my Shrine functions throughout the 70's and 80's. I may be able to trim out multiple cuts of meat efficiently, but I feared for the safety of my hostess's digits when she was trying to carve a roast last Sunday. I had to stop her and sharpen her knife which was so dull, she would have had the same result using the back of the blade. She still persisted in "sawing" at the turkey carcass, even though the knife was then sharp enough to slide through on one stroke.

For most people, tending to "core competencies" is a smart and Lean thing to do, outsourcing the work (like trimming meat) which can be done either more efficiently, more expertly, or less expensively by outsiders than in-house.

For example, I may be able to write computer programs, but I find it less stressful to concentrate on defining the end functions I want and letting someone else write the code, letting the value of my peace of mind counterbalance the cost of an outside code writer.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 4th May 2007, 08:58 AM
Frank T.

Total Posts: 237

Here is a .ppt on Lean.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: ppt LEAN OVERVIEW.ppt (579.0 KB, 1098 views)

Last edited by Frank T.; 4th May 2007 at 02:39 PM.
Thank You to Frank T. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #11  
Old 4th May 2007, 02:15 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,169

Thanks for sharing this. I was impressed by the notes for each slide, which lead me to believe there is an intelligent presentation to go with these excellent slides!
  Post Number #12  
Old 6th May 2007, 07:20 PM
S Johnson

Total Posts: 35

I was in a similar spot as you not that long ago. I took a class which taught me the tools and how they were beneficial, but I didn't REALLY understand Lean until I read "The Toyota Way" by Jeffrey Liker. The internet can give you an outline of what it is, but since I've read this book, I understand it far better. Understand the philosophy of Toyota and you will understand Lean. It all made perfect sense after I read it.
  Post Number #13  
Old 25th June 2007, 02:44 PM
Gilberto - 2009

Total Posts: n/a

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by andrewg View Post

Help Please?

I am a new quality auditor and have spent the past few years learning that role. My organisation is starting a 'lean programme' and I have to confess to knowing very little about it. Could someone please provide some basic background knowledge on this tool? Where does it come from? What it is used for? How it operates? When auditing this function, what to look for?

Your advice and knowledge are very welcome.

Thank you and Regards,

Andy

He Andre...

The Lean system, certainly is a work philosophy, where it is revolutionizing of the world !
To implant a Lean system, good and efficient it must have two tools/philosophies very spread out well and functioning as inside of its company, them Just in Time and Jindoka, these two are the Hart of the Lean system.

Do you Have knowledge of these two tools/philosophies and are well functioning in its company?
  Post Number #14  
Old 26th June 2007, 12:02 PM
duecesevenOS - 2009

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Frank T. View Post

Here is a .ppt on Lean.
I just went through your presentation and I though it was very good (I know it's an old post but....) Anyone can answer this for me.

I'm curious about the kanban definitions. I've never read anything on a "non-replenishable" kanban. What is the purpose of having a kanban that doesn't signal you into any action? I can't think of any reason to put together a signal that says we just ran out of this one time use item but don't do anything about it? Am I not understanding this slide or what (#13)?
  Post Number #15  
Old 26th June 2007, 12:18 PM
Gilberto - 2009

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by duecesevenOS View Post

I just went through your presentation and I though it was very good (I know it's an old post but....) Anyone can answer this for me.

I'm curious about the kanban definitions. I've never read anything on a "non-replenishable" kanban. What is the purpose of having a kanban that doesn't signal you into any action? I can't think of any reason to put together a signal that says we just ran out of this one time use item but don't do anything about it? Am I not understanding this slide or what (#13)?

I donīt understand this question/doubt?
  Post Number #16  
Old 26th June 2007, 01:19 PM
duecesevenOS - 2009

I just want an example of when you would use a non-replenishable kanban. Kanban's are signals so what does a non-replenishable kanban signal?

Maybe a better explanation is what I need.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >