The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from?
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? - Page 4

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
lean, lean concepts, lean manufacturing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:36 AM
wmarhel

Total Posts: 642
Re: Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by branham91 View Post

You need to read a book called "The Goal". Forgot who wrote it but it is a cheap paperback book. Lean Manufacturing came from Toyota. The head honcho there was grocery shopping one day and marveled at the way inventory was restocked on the shelves. Thus Lean Mfg was born. Basically you have just enough inventory to keep your lines running "Eliminating storage and warehousing". Lean MFG will uncover your process problems because excess inventory hides them. That is the core of lean. Also lean manufacturing means " taking a job that requires 5 people and making due with four" gotta go problem just came up.
The author of the "The Goal" is Eliyahu M. Goldratt.

I would argue that "Lean Manufacturing" is a bastardized version of what Toyota did/does. "Lean Manufacturing" makes for a good catch-phrase.

Lean Manufacturing wasn't born out of the grocery store, it makes for a good story, but that is incomplete. The supermarket provided the spark for the concept of JIT (Just-in-Time). JIT is just one of the two pillars that the The Toyota Production System is built upon.

Ohno is largely credited with the material flow/JIT aspect of the Toyota system, but Shigeo Shingo was really the thought leader behind the rest. Keep in mind that Ohno himself believed calling it a production system was incorrect. He believed it should have been called the Toyota Management System.

Kanban isn't about quantity, it is about time. It is about the time necessary to replenish the kanban, and the length of time that the kanban will last based on the production levels. The inventory levels are what is necessary to satisfy the customer, and satisfying the customer is the ultimate goal. Eliminating inventory and warehousing is a great concept, like zero-defects, but the purpose is to minimize the amount required. The entire system really is about methods to minimize time, quantities are not the first priority.

The core of Lean is about waste, in any shape or form, not about inventory or headcount reduction. Where Lean most often fails is that it doesn't look at the long term strategic view, which Toyota did in their development of TPS over the decades. More often than not, Lean is trained as a bunch of discrete tools that one can hammer into place when needed. It doesn't work that way, which is probably the biggest reason so few companies have come close to being able to operate like Toyota.

Wayne
Thanks to wmarhel for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:59 AM
Steve Prevette

Total Posts: 2,513

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by wmarhel View Post

The author of the "The Goal" is Eliyahu M. Goldratt.
The Goal is a great book, but I have seen people attribute too much to it. It is the source of the Theory of Constraints, which works well with systems thinking and with lean. I was introduced to it back in the Reengineering frenzy by a consultant who claimed if I read it, I'd become a believer in numerical goals and targets. I read it, I liked it, I didn't become a believer in numerical goals.
  Post Number #27  
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:25 AM
wmarhel

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Steve Prevette View Post

The Goal is a great book, but I have seen people attribute too much to it.

I'm going to agree with you Steve. It was a good book to get people thinking in a different vein.

From the theory of constraints standpoints, H. William Dettmer's books were very informative.

Wayne
  Post Number #28  
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:22 AM
eduveg

Total Posts: 6

For Lean I would reccomend the part in the ASQ Six sigma BOK that was mentioned before.

My reccomendation also is that for Lean to work you must base it on a robust 5S program. You may think is the most simple but it is the most important part. If you don't have order you don't have the basics to install all the other principles as kanban, work flow, jit, etc, etc.
  Post Number #29  
Old 5th July 2007, 07:35 AM
wmarhel

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by eduveg View Post

My reccomendation also is that for Lean to work you must base it on a robust 5S program. You may think is the most simple but it is the most important part. If you don't have order you don't have the basics to install all the other principles as kanban, work flow, jit, etc, etc.
I agree that 5S is extremely important, but it isn't a "program". It is just the way you should operate on a daily basis, as are all the other component of TPS. They really are ways to "manage" the business, versus the typical thinking of "we can fix this with that".

From a systems perspective, 5S is just one of the foundational building blocks. I think your last sentence is on the mark though.

Wayne
  Post Number #30  
Old 25th September 2007, 03:09 PM
IEUWKREUNKER

Total Posts: 4

Hey,

attached you'll find some info about a pull system
+ kanban

regards,Christophe
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf l_rad_matl.pdf (210.1 KB, 323 views)
Thanks to IEUWKREUNKER for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #31  
Old 16th November 2012, 05:48 AM
matti

Total Posts: 25

5S to me should be kept as simple as the process suggests.
1. Sort.
If in doubt through it out. Red taggin system is cumbersome and require more resource and will not bring the business forward.
2. Set in order
It is imperative that some planning is involved and will bind with next step shine,
3. Shine
Clean things up and have a clean as you go approach.
4. Standardise
This is where most people stumble as everyone needs to be involved and processes has to be defined.
5. Sustain - Setting up check list, monitoring and address adverse trends.

If the 5S is supported from the Top and the Floor gets involved it can go along way.
It is a waste of time if the business as a whole does not support the concept.

Lean manufacturing to me is having processe in place that monitor waste, overfills and downtime and try to get the most of production within reason that produces a Quality Product that meet the customer requirements every time in cost effective way.

How this is done varies on the size of the business and the tool available to measure output.

Not much of an answer just me rambling on.

Look into Kaizen and TPM
These method does not leave a stone unturned and every grey area of the business is scrutinized. Massive resource are required if the processes are nor define already,

Just practicing typing really. Time to eat and a little unwooded Chardonnay and some stir fry.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >