The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Is Cycle Time different between Parallel Machines and Single?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
cycle time, value stream mapping (vsm)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 4th November 2010, 10:52 PM
charliekh

Total Posts: 33
Please Help! Is Cycle Time different between Parallel Machines and Single?

I am very confused that the cycle time when mapping VSM, does the cycle time is the same between parallel machines and single machine? for example, rough tunning for forging is 60s in one machine and for one piece, the cycle time is 60s, but now there are 10 rough turnning machines paralle turnning 10 forgings, the throughput is 10pcs in 60s, does it mean the cycle time is 6s? the cycle time definition in VSM is the time between two finished products. could anyone explain it to me, thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 4th November 2010, 11:38 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,129
Re: Is cycle time different between parallel machines and single?

Good day,

In business management we are often asked for overall process measurements. For the purposes of reporting to management it's realistic to provide an average performance metric among all tools of the same type, but we must understand the purpose of the metric. The purpose is to form a comparison between the present and what we strive to achieve.

While the cycle time metric is often expressed as a process measurement of "time end minus time begin," it may prove useful to take this measurement at each tool if one suspects tools may vary in performance. How else could we identify where, when, how and why the problem is occurring?

In short, measure at the local (immediate) level and report at the macro (overall) level.

I hope this helps!
Thanks to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 5th November 2010, 01:24 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,345

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by charliekh View Post

I am very confused that the cycle time when mapping VSM, does the cycle time is the same between parallel machines and single machine? for example, rough tunning for forging is 60s in one machine and for one piece, the cycle time is 60s, but now there are 10 rough turnning machines paralle turnning 10 forgings, the throughput is 10pcs in 60s, does it mean the cycle time is 6s? the cycle time definition in VSM is the time between two finished products. could anyone explain it to me, thanks very much!
The cycle time best fits for an article in a defined process. How you handle a batch production of that article depends upon your resources and quantity required to be produced. Perhaps that becomes the throughput time for that batch.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th November 2010, 01:53 AM
charliekh

Question Re: Is cycle time different between parallel machines and single?

Still can not know the exact answer.Can anyone let me know clearly how to fill the cycle time when meet these two situation? Is the same cycle time regardless how many machines or operators do the same operation?
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th November 2010, 10:40 AM
Pudge 72

Total Posts: 94
Re: Is Cycle Time different between Parallel Machines and Single?

The answer is yes.
Cycle time will not change unless you improve the process whether you have 1machine or 20.

Throughput would be the metric associated with additional equipment.
Thanks to Pudge 72 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th November 2010, 05:46 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,129

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by charliekh View Post

Still can not know the exact answer.Can anyone let me know clearly how to fill the cycle time when meet these two situation? Is the same cycle time regardless how many machines or operators do the same operation?
It is easy to confuse process cycle time with machine cycle time. Both can be measured, but both are done separately.

We measure individual machine time to understand the machine's process time. This enables us to make and understand improvements that are specific to the machine. This is reported to lower levels so best practices can be applied to other machines. It is a result measurement. It is a micro measurement of tasks and strategy.

The machines (all together) contribute to a process cycle time that is reported to management in whatever defined form. This is a measure of total outcomes in the process. It is a macro measurement, a means to communicate overall program success against objectives.

I hope this helps!
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 7th November 2010, 12:28 PM
George Weiss

Total Posts: 444

The question is what do I enter into the VSM data entry point of my program right?
I have a web link to such a process. @
http://www.gemba.com/uploadedFiles/Lean%20VSM%20Diagrams%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide.pdf
It indicates the need to enter C/T and C/O times, which are per person/per machine
C/T cycle time part to part
C/O change over to another process time
The value is an average value if you have 10 people/machines doing 10 parts as described on an earlier post.
(This means you could time each machine seperately and get the average time for 1 part. 60 seconds)
This all leads back to your question, of what do I enter into the VSM system.
You should enter the time each part takes to be made.
Then enter the number of machines/people to get a process throughput somewhere else in the data entry form.
So enter 60 sec. For C/T time. The VSM program is likely to ask how many people/machines at this step.
The time does not change for 1 or 1000 machines in this/your VSM analysis program. (maybe +/- 2 seconds)
The above comments were all valid, but did not quite respond to your specific question of what do I enter into the C/T entry box.
==== If you are not using the VSM program as I thought, then C/T is still defined as single part time in the VSM process =========
looking for comment...........................

Last edited by George Weiss; 7th November 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Thanks to George Weiss for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 7th November 2010, 09:03 PM
charliekh

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by george1weiss View Post

The question is what do I enter into the VSM data entry point of my program right?
I have a web link to such a process. @
http://www.gemba.com/uploadedFiles/Lean%20VSM%20Diagrams%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide.pdf
It indicates the need to enter C/T and C/O times, which are per person/per machine
C/T cycle time part to part
C/O change over to another process time
The value is an average value if you have 10 people/machines doing 10 parts as described on an earlier post.
(This means you could time each machine seperately and get the average time for 1 part. 60 seconds)
This all leads back to your question, of what do I enter into the VSM system.
You should enter the time each part takes to be made.
Then enter the number of machines/people to get a process throughput somewhere else in the data entry form.
So enter 60 sec. For C/T time. The VSM program is likely to ask how many people/machines at this step.
The time does not change for 1 or 1000 machines in this/your VSM analysis program. (maybe +/- 2 seconds)
The above comments were all valid, but did not quite respond to your specific question of what do I enter into the C/T entry box.
==== If you are not using the VSM program as I thought, then C/T is still defined as single part time in the VSM process =========
looking for comment...........................
Hi george1weiss,
Many thanks for your deteailed explanation!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >