The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Line Balance Study and maybe Takt Time and Cycle Time

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
cycle time, lean manufacturing, line balancing, takt (cycle) time

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:44 PM
jkittle

Total Posts: 169
Please Help! Line Balance Study and maybe Takt Time and Cycle Time

I have a question about line balancing and maybe Takt time and Cycle time play into this as well.

The main question I have if youíre trying to conduct a line balancing study, do include queue times.

For example if I have a primer that has to set for 10 minutes before adding adhesive do I include this in the cycle time/line balance study. I also have a time of 2 hours that parts must remain in a clamped position before going to a test stand.

Are these times included in the cycle time as well as part of the line balance study?

Thank you for your help.
Jerry

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:09 PM
onestout

Total Posts: 10
Re: Line Balance Study and maybe Takt Time and Cycle Time

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in with a better answer but what I have done is to set up the curing (in your example) as a seperate process. This way you can see that the machine isn't actually tied up. If you have the space you could run several different parts through the one machine and have them curing in different areas. If you combine the curing with the machine then it looks like the machine is only capable of 1 piece per hour vs. 5 min. to apply and 55 min. to cure. There are many other factors that could change this such as it needs to stay in a fixture for 10 min. But this is how I have done it.
Thank You to onestout for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 9th October 2012, 09:36 PM
Adam.m

Total Posts: n/a

First of all you need to determine what you are actually measuring.

Is it and their calculations:

a. Machine time - Uptime (production) vs. Downtime
b. Process time - Lead time of product per step and total
c. Man (person) time - Productive time and non productive

Each has it's separate calculation and opportunities. If you indicate which one you are after I can provide more information.
  Post Number #4  
Old 10th October 2012, 12:58 PM
Bev D

Total Posts: 3,631

"Queue" time is when the product is just sitting with nothing happening to it. It isn't inlcuded in lien balance calculations. (It IS included in total cycle time calculations)

What you describe is process time. When I have these kinds of processes I do seperate them out as different processes.

The idea of line baalnce of course is that all processes take the same amount of time and that time is equal to takt time. (Make sure you have the right definition/formula fo rtakt time - there are a lot of misconceptions about this critical calculation) If process time is = takt time (and you have no defects and you are pulling into the process not pushing) you won't have any queue time.

Sometimes a process can't be broken down to smaller increments to achieve line balance. This is when you use the concept of 'toll booths'. Parallel processing of units through longer process times are staggered into the shorter process. The stagger is equal to takt time...

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >