The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Lean Manufacturing Concepts - Is 'Lean' hype?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Lean Manufacturing Concepts - Is 'Lean' hype? - Page 4

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Is 'Lean' hype?
Yes 64 28.44%
No 135 60.00%
I prefer to abstain from the poll 26 11.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
lean, lean manufacturing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 7th September 2004, 07:36 PM
Luisa

Total Posts: 4
As for Lean I am all for it. I must admit that it is a common sense approach to the logical way of life. In the military they would tell you to KISS and that would be the end of it. With the companies I have worked for it seems like a light just went out in someone's brain. The idea is simple: If you are working on something keep the items close by so you cannot be interrupted. Label the areas so you will not get confused and know where to get it in the future and just maintain the state of operation. Simple! Now they will request someone get certified in this for what reason, I still am baffled at this. I would say, go for it, as long as you o not go crazy! LOL

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 8th September 2004, 08:40 AM
WALLACE

Total Posts: 759
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Luisa

As for Lean I am all for it. I must admit that it is a common sense approach to the logical way of life. In the military they would tell you to KISS and that would be the end of it. With the companies I have worked for it seems like a light just went out in someone's brain. The idea is simple: If you are working on something keep the items close by so you cannot be interrupted. Label the areas so you will not get confused and know where to get it in the future and just maintain the state of operation. Simple! Now they will request someone get certified in this for what reason, I still am baffled at this. I would say, go for it, as long as you o not go crazy! LOL
Yeah,
Your right Luisa.
KISS, it seems to have lost its simplistic meaning to many in the quality arena. It's clear that, when well meaning quality pro's get together and perform a CI initiative, they tend to load it up with complexity and beurocracy.
Wait!!!! Isn't that what happened to the ISO 9001 standard?
Wallace.
  Post Number #27  
Old 8th September 2004, 09:14 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Quid Pro Quo

Welcome to the Cove, Luisa

/Claes
  Post Number #28  
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:35 AM
asutherland

Total Posts: 125
I guess its time to stand up and be counted.

To those of you who think lean is a hype..... shame on you.

"If the trainee hasn't learned, the trainer hasn't taught".

Lean concepts must not only be taught, it must be taught in the correct sequency.

If you put together a bicycle for you children, and you left out a few parts, and the bike does not perform the way it should. Is the bike a piece of crap?

(I guess this means I'm pro lean).
  Post Number #29  
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:58 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,197
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by asutherland

To those of you who think lean is a hype..... shame on you.
I'm not sure anyone here thinks Lean, per se, is hype. The concept of Lean is essentially a "motherhood" statement. No one can rationally disagree with it in principle. As others have stated in this thread, the problem is in implementation, and the belief of some managers that the container is equal to the thing contained.
Quote:

"If the trainee hasn't learned, the trainer hasn't taught".
Lean concepts must not only be taught, it must be taught in the correct sequency.
The world's most accomplished trainer can train until he's blue in the face and it won't make any difference if the boss doesn't support the movement.
Quote:

If you put together a bicycle for you children, and you left out a few parts, and the bike does not perform the way it should. Is the bike a piece of crap?
Perhaps, if the bike doesn't perform the way it should with the missing parts .

Quote:

(I guess this means I'm pro lean).
And pro-motherhood too, I'll bet.
  Post Number #30  
Old 22nd August 2005, 01:41 PM
asutherland

I guess I should quantify my views more clearly.

(Pro-motherhood? --- You know how much a good maid costs?)
did I type that out loud?

A few months ago, I interviewed with a Plant Manger who was looking for a lean guru to step in and make magic happen? It was pretty clear by this interview that the plant manager ran the plant from behind a desk. So, I turned down the job.

I still stand by the phrase " If the trainee hasn't learned, the trainee hasn't taught ".

It must be made clear, at some point, if buy-off is not going to occur at the management level, the program will not work. More specifically, the trainer will stop.

For those professionals whos reputation and performance is on the line, this clear distinction must be made.

For lean to be effective, there must first be buy-in at the management level. If this commitment is not made up front ... Its time to pack your bags and move on.

Jim brought up a point that QC circles (work teams), were fully supported by management but they seem to have fallen apart, now only to be called "Lean". I believe that some of this is not fully truthfull. I was around when "Q.C. circles were started, and they were not bought off by hardly anyone.... nor did I see true management support. What I saw was a group of business men that said " Hey, look... the reason why the Japaneese are so successful is because they are using teams, so we need to form teams and be sussessful too". Poof .... your a team, make us money, and by the way, we can't fund your projects.

We as managers, and professionals have an obligation to our customers to provide the best quality product at the lowest price possible. Lean is one of the tools to get there.

I agree with what Rubrich and Watson stated in their book, that the Japanese did not become better than the US because they wanted to do what we did, their whole success was built on the prospect that they would become better than us. So, what has happened, a small Japanese transplant began to compete with the Big 3... Ford, G.M., Chrysler, and behold, in 20 years they have become the number 2 Auto maker in the US.

American business need to wake up ... We can only do so by clearly understanding what our customers want, and provide it to them. Japan is not the enemy, China is not the enemy, COMPETITION is the enemy. In order to be better than the competition, we need to be quicker, and smarter than them, not just do what they are doing. This can not be reached by copying the Toyota Production System, this can be done by understanding and implementing this system and strengthen it along the way.

Holy Cow, did I just jump on a pedestal?

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away by my passion.
  Post Number #31  
Old 22nd August 2005, 01:55 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,197
Quote:

Holy Cow, did I just jump on a pedestal?

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away by my passion.
There's nothing wrong with passion, my friend, so long as it's not directed at the maid .
  Post Number #32  
Old 22nd August 2005, 02:35 PM
asutherland

Mike, my appologies, I seem to have gotten a little off track.

Most companies I run into based on your description are usually ready to implement lean because they are ready to go under. I hope this is not the case with you.

Where to start..... 1st.. start of a brief presentation on why it is necessary to change.
2nd start a 5 S program... start with one area " Island of excellence".

One of the best books I have seen on this is called "Putting 5S to work, A Practical Step-by-Step Approach" by Hiroyuki Hirano... Published by PHP Institute, Inc.
There is a lot of generic stuff out there... this one isn't one of them.

(No I am not a sponser of supporter of this publishing house).

You should find significant savings in applying the applications of this program to support additional training in other Lean activities.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >