The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Do inserts need to be preheated to tooling temperature in injection molding?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 11th April 2008, 10:28 AM
sadhusong

Total Posts: 39
Question Do inserts need to be preheated to tooling temperature in injection molding?

Hello all
as instructed injection with serts such as shaft, the shaft should be pre-heated as tooling temperature,i would like to get help for theory of this and is this mandatory?

and i found some supplier does not do this.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th April 2008, 10:32 AM
Phil Fields

Total Posts: 376
Re: inserts injection

My past experience in injection molding (15 yrs ago), we never pre-heated inserts.

Phil
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 16th April 2008, 01:42 PM
john

Total Posts: 15
Re: Do inserts need to be preheated to tooling temperature in injection molding?

I have been insert molding for over 30 years and the only time we pre heated inserts was on a small nylon over steel insert part that was machined afterward. The rational for this was to keep the bubbles / shrink voids out of the part so it could be machined smoothly with no pits.
  Post Number #4  
Old 16th April 2008, 02:21 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,560
Re: Do inserts need to be preheated to tooling temperature in injection molding?

What do your engineers say?
  Post Number #5  
Old 18th April 2008, 10:15 AM
Edward Nell

Total Posts: 2

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sadhusong View Post

Hello all
as instructed injection with serts such as shaft, the shaft should be pre-heated as tooling temperature,i would like to get help for theory of this and is this mandatory?

If you are doing rubber to metal/plastic injection moulding, then preheating will start the adhessive to start reacting before you have had time to inject the product. That would lead to failures
  Post Number #6  
Old 20th April 2008, 08:39 AM
bgwiehle

Total Posts: 154

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Edward Nell View Post

If you are doing rubber to metal/plastic injection moulding, then preheating will start the adhesive to start reacting before you have had time to inject the product. That would lead to failures
True, but there are times when it is an advantage -- in our case, we pre-heat when the metals are particularly large or thick and when the rubber portion is especially thin. We control time and temperature of the pre-heating as well as the molding process, and test adhesion as well as dynamic properties. Also, the pre-heat temperatures are not as high as the molding temperature.

B.G. Wiehle
  Post Number #7  
Old 20th April 2008, 10:31 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,161

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sadhusong View Post

Hello all

I think the answer is, "it depends." For example, I found the attached PDF from DuPont that says this about some of their plastics:
Quote:
Inserts should be preheated before molding (200 °F for DelrinŽ , 250°F for ZytelŽ , MinlonŽ and RyniteŽ ). This minimizes post mold shrinkage, pre-expands the insert and improves the weld line strength.
If your suppliers lack technical resources in their own compaies, it might be best to talk to an application expert from their resin supplier about your parts and the best way to proceed.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf 002_DCI281.pdf (136.9 KB, 673 views)

Last edited by Jim Wynne; 21st April 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 20th April 2008, 10:37 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,064

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

I think the answer is, "it depends." For example, I found the attached PDF from DuPont that says this about some of their plastics:
Jim, the info provided is very good but the attachment is not correct - it titles 1984 and is something else
Thanks to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >