Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
visual inspection, inspection methods and plans, printed circuit boards and assemblies (see pcb and pcba), assembly (general term), pcba (printed circuit board assembly)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 27th June 2008, 03:18 PM
quality1

Total Posts: 102
Please Help! PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools

Hi All,

We're trying to improve our efficientcy and effectiveness in our SMT line process and one of the hold up is our First Article Inspection steps that requires a new batch goes thorugh FAI before continuing with the rest of the batch. I looked into Automated Optical Inspection tool and our budget will not allow us to procure more equipment. Has anyone utilize a quick visual inspection method like using a clear template copy of the PCBA fabrication drawing (laying it over the PCBA) to do inspection? or perhaps you can suggest other inspection ideas? Yes we're perfoming 100% since our batch are small. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 27th June 2008, 03:57 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061
Re: PCBA Visual Inspection Tools

Where does the requirement come from that says you have to complete the first article before you continue with the rest of the batch? Do you often have problems that are detected with the first article that requires changes to the setup?

I know many PCBA companies that will take the first board off the line and verify it while production continues to run. The risk is if there is a problem more boards have already been built requiring rework or scrap. However, if your history shows that there are almost never problems with the first article, the line can be producing parts instead of waiting.
  Post Number #3  
Old 27th June 2008, 04:08 PM
spamman - 2009

Total Posts: 15

As a customer to PCBA suppliers, I like the 1st article inspection but I agree with the continuation of the assembly line WHILE the visual inspection occurs on the 1st article. I do not know the length of time to perform the 1st article but at least AOI will provide the placement, orientation for accuracy. You may gain some efficiency buy doing AOI prior to reflow to keep the pick/place humming. Then run the PCBA through reflow and then inspect for solder flow, etc.
  Post Number #4  
Old 27th June 2008, 04:15 PM
howste

I believe that Quality1 said there's no money in the budget for AOI equipment, and is looking for alternative first article inspection methods to increase efficiency. Is that right Quality1?
  Post Number #5  
Old 27th June 2008, 08:06 PM
quality1

Total Posts: 102

Thanks for your responses, but I wasn't looking at debating right or wrong whether the line should be running while an FAI is being processed, in the future we're going to change that anyway. What I was asking for help was for inspection tools or methods to do the FAI faster discounting AOI.

Thanks
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th June 2008, 08:52 PM
howste

I don't see anything wrong with using a clear template placed over the board for a quick verification. What's the main focus of the first article? Is it dimensional, or correct parts and orientation?
Thanks to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 28th June 2008, 03:36 AM
Umang Vidyarthi

Total Posts: 874
Yin Yang Re: PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by quality1 View Post

Hi All,

We're trying to improve our efficientcy and effectiveness in our SMT line process and one of the hold up is our First Article Inspection steps that requires a new batch goes thorugh FAI before continuing with the rest of the batch. I looked into Automated Optical Inspection tool and our budget will not allow us to procure more equipment. Has anyone utilize a quick visual inspection method like using a clear template copy of the PCBA fabrication drawing (laying it over the PCBA) to do inspection? or perhaps you can suggest other inspection ideas? Yes we're perfoming 100% since our batch are small. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
'PCBA inspection templates' are cheap and easily available -tailor made to your requirements. Majority of small time assemblers in India are using these templates for Q/A. You may search for suppliers in your area. There must be plenty.

Umang
Thanks to Umang Vidyarthi for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th October 2008, 12:37 AM
Greg Ross

Total Posts: 2
Lightbulb Re: PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by quality1 View Post

Hi All,

Hi,

There are systems available on the market that electronically control the functions you require. They perform this function by scanning the FAI PCB and connecting it together with the Pick and place data in order to locat the parts during FAI. Contact me using my profile email address should you wish to discuss offline.

Regards

Last edited by Greg Ross; 9th October 2008 at 01:13 AM.
Thanks to Greg Ross for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >