The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Is App that motivates patients to do therapy exercises a medical device?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
app (mobile device software), medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 21st September 2017, 11:26 AM
nunziale

Total Posts: 3
Please Help! Is App that motivates patients to do therapy exercises a medical device?

Hi folks,
I'm pretty new to regulatory affairs but would like to understand whether, for the sake of the MDD 93/42/EEC, a mobile app that uses games to motivate patients to do physical therapy exercises at home would be considered a medical device or not?
My understanding is that "motivating" has nothing to do with the actual therapy supply, although it is for the benefit of the patient. But I'm not sure if it may interfere with the "dosage" of that therapy and thus have an influence worth qualifying the app as a medical device.
Any hint on this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 21st September 2017, 11:36 AM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,032
re: Is App that motivates patients to do therapy exercises a medical device?

I would have a hard time understanding how the billboard saying "Drive Sober or get Pulled Over" would be an auto part.
...or a "Top Gun" bomber jacket would be an aerospace part.

At the end of they day, however...I suppose it will be up to the regulatory board...we've all seen sillier things.
  Post Number #3  
Old 21st September 2017, 02:59 PM
nunziale

I'm actually thinking that physical exercises as a therapy can't be regarded as a therapeutic drug... meaning that it won't hurt, I suppose, if a patient would get hyper-motivated by the app and keep exercising more than prescribed (if a prescription has sense at all in such a case).
  Post Number #4  
Old 21st September 2017, 03:42 PM
nunziale

OK, the FDA exercises enforcement discretion for mobile apps of this kind... but what about European regulatory bodies? What the MDD says in regards of that?
  Post Number #5  
Old 22nd September 2017, 02:47 AM
paulag

Total Posts: 80

Hi,

In the EU, it's all about the intended use. Be very careful with your wording and don't claim any medical scope.

Please don't forget that the MDD (93/42) is going to be replaced by the MDR (medical device Regulation), and there are some changes regarding classification and software there. Make sure to check that out, to also be safe in the changed EU regulatory environment.
Thanks to paulag for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:59 AM
mihzago

Total Posts: 199

Actually a physical therapy can hurt, just as lack of, or insufficient therapy can have negative consequences.
This is an interesting case, and there may be a different interpretation depending who you ask. Here are my thoughts.

Whether it's considered a medical device depends on the type of recommendation and how specialized and individualized your advice is. If you provide just a general recommendation using prompts like, "hey, you have not done any therapy for a few days, or your activities are too short", then it's probably not a medical device.
If on the other hand you build upon a therapy prescribed by a physio or GP, and provide specific instruction how to perform these exercises and track progress, then you may fall into a medical device realm.

I recommend you put together a written rationale for your classification, even if you determine it's not a medical device.
As paulag said, the new MDR made some changes to classifications, especially software. I would also not rely much on the FDA's guidance documents and its enforcement recommendations.
Thanks to mihzago for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:25 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,214

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nunziale View Post

Hi folks,
I'm pretty new to regulatory affairs but would like to understand whether, for the sake of the MDD 93/42/EEC, a mobile app that uses games to motivate patients to do physical therapy exercises at home would be considered a medical device or not?
My understanding is that "motivating" has nothing to do with the actual therapy supply, although it is for the benefit of the patient. But I'm not sure if it may interfere with the "dosage" of that therapy and thus have an influence worth qualifying the app as a medical device.
Any hint on this?

Thanks
It would if it fits the definition of a medical device

A medical device is "an instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, contrivance, implant, in vitro reagent, or other similar or related article, including a component part, or accessory which is:

recognized in the official National Formulary, or the United States Pharmacopoeia, or any supplement to them,

intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, in man or other animals, or

intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals, and which does not achieve any of its primary intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animals and which is not dependent upon being metabolized for the achievement of any of its primary intended purposes."
  Post Number #8  
Old 27th September 2017, 09:46 AM
dgrainger

Total Posts: 82

It would depend on the what you claim it can do/intend it to do!
Are you intending it to be used to treat any specific ailments/disease/injury (may be a device) or is it just to improve fitness/wellness/motivation/is a reference manual (unlikely to be a device)?

The definition of a device in MDD 93/42/EEC relates to what the manufacturer claims it does and not how it does it. (it excludes products which "achieve its principal intended action in or on the human body by pharmacological, immunological or metabolic means" )

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >