The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
erp software, iso 13485 - medical device qms, work instructions (wi)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 11th January 2017, 11:12 AM
danirenee

Total Posts: 2
Question eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit?

Hi! My company is in the process of implementing an eQMS/ERP system and cranking out the work instructions for how the systems are used. I am trying to categorize the work instructions relevant to our QMS processes (ISO 13485) as opposed to those that are considered "business documents."

I would appreciate any insight you may have regarding the categorization of WIs specific to a system administrator, such as creating/modifying/maintaining sites, domains, users, roles, permissions, etc. within the system. Would you categorize these activities as business-related or QMS documents? If QMS, under what aspect would they best fit?
For example, our QMS documents follow a hierarchy starting at a policy level, where the policies are "buckets" structured after 13485. So, would you bucket these system admin WIs under "infrastructure", "resource management", or would you place them under their own policy bucket?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 24th January 2017, 08:18 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,334
Re: eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit?

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help with this question?

Thank you very much!
  Post Number #3  
Old 24th January 2017, 09:20 AM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,088

Not so sure there's a requirement about this you'll find, so it's all preference...

My preference would be to start a subseries under "Administrative" and put tech support in one bucket (say AD8-XX) and Software admin in another bucket (say AD9-XX)...but that's just me.

FWIW, I would only capture the routine "you do it this way or it goes wrong" stuff, not the general troubleshooting.

Computer and software troubleshooting is not a play-by-the-numbers kind of thing...a call to a computer tech support line can show you that...the Tier I operators are reading from a checklist, and it never works.
Until you reach Tier II that can think for itself, or Tier III where people actually have expertise it is typical for all options to fail. Tier II and Tier III don't have checklists, they have understanding instead.

I would hate to see a WI for "solving a connectivity issue" or "creating a new sales report"...but again, that's just me.

HTH,
  Post Number #4  
Old 25th January 2017, 10:31 AM
danirenee

Total Posts: 2

Thanks so much for your input! I agree, I want to place them under their own bucket for administering the system - not under a QMS bucket.

Post Number #5  
Old 27th January 2017, 05:23 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,088

FWIW...why have two systems?

If revision control is needed, you already have a system for that...your QMS.
Not because you HAVE TO, but because it's efficient.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >