The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
What is the difference between a 7D format and an 8D format?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What is the difference between a 7D format and an 8D format? - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
8d problem solving, problem solving, root cause failure analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 2nd April 2009, 06:21 AM
AndyJP - 2012

Total Posts: 45
Re: What is the difference between a 7D format and an 8D format?

7D or 8D they both boil down to the same, know the problem / contain the problem / fix the problem and ensure that it does not happen again. The pit falls are to get stuck at the containemnt stage, to loose focus at the root cause stage (or be blinkered to other methids of getting to the root cause), automatically blame the operator / supplier.

What ever you call it you should ensure that you have got rid of the problem once and for all and not just by inspecting the hell out of the product, not matter whoes self importance you have to tread on. Remember that once you have covered all the obvious answers no matter hwo crazy the one left may sound it just might be the solution. I have seen this and only found out after I finished a contract that I was right all along.

If all else fails take a sidewyas look at the problem and just ask what if?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:03 AM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,365

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ezorangee View Post

This reminds me of an occurance during a QS9000 (Yes, this was back a few years) audit.

We were reviewing customer specific requirements, and Chrysler was one of our accounts. The auditor asked to see our records for evidence of corrective actions.

Our format was 7D, and of course, Chrysler required the 8D format. As the auditor was reading through the corrective action reports the Plant Manager walked into the room.

After a few minutes of reading through the reports, the auditor looked at me and dryly commented, "I see that you only do the 7D format. Don't you congratulate the team?"

Without missing a beat, the Plant Manager responded, "Oh yes! We give them their salary every Friday!"

I thought it was funny. The auditor did not. It was a nonconformance.
I am an auditor and I thought it was funny. However, I think theauditor was alsowrong. At that time, Chrysler required the 7D format.There should not have been a nonconformance.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 26th November 2012, 01:41 PM
Road Warrior

Total Posts: 13

They're right - a 7-D doesn't congratulate the team. I always thought that was a fluffy, non-substantive way of saying 'wrap the issue up', which includes summarizing & documenting the issue history (from initial customer contact to effectiveness audit) to the org (from hourly associates to execs). I think it should include senior executive buy-off on a 100% or sample basis, depending on the size of the org.
  Post Number #12  
Old 26th November 2012, 02:20 PM
Statistical Steven

Total Posts: 1,088

I would answer 1D...but I am a wise guy. Does it really matter if you use a 7D, 8D or 9D or any other D? Do not get caught up in the number of D's and put together a process and program that works for your organization!
Thanks to Statistical Steven for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 26th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,161

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Statistical Steven View Post

I would answer 1D...but I am a wise guy. Does it really matter if you use a 7D, 8D or 9D or any other D? Do not get caught up in the number of D's and put together a process and program that works for your organization!
The problem isn't so much what works for one's one organization; the problem is what works for your customers. It's possible to compose the most elegant, bullet-proof, comprehensive CA plan in the history of the known universe and have it rejected by a customer for not being in the "correct" format. By the same token, it's possible to compose a completely nonsensical, impotent and worthless CA report and have it accepted by a customer because it is in the correct format.
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 26th November 2012, 03:29 PM
Statistical Steven

Total Posts: 1,088

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

The problem isn't so much what works for one's one organization; the problem is what works for your customers. It's possible to compose the most elegant, bullet-proof, comprehensive CA plan in the history of the known universe and have it rejected by a customer for not being in the "correct" format. By the same token, it's possible to compose a completely nonsensical, impotent and worthless CA report and have it accepted by a customer because it is in the correct format.
Jim, that is the problem with so many of these programs. Preception is more important than substance. If a CA plan works for the customer and not your organization, are you really improving the process? I think we agree the answer is NO.
  Post Number #15  
Old 11th July 2017, 02:08 PM
optomist1

Total Posts: 337
Re: 7 D Format

to add a bit more, the 8D that Ford coined was is based upon a US DOD spec; although disputed by some, the likely "origin" of what we call an 8D is DOD MIL-STD-1520C
  Post Number #16  
Old 11th July 2017, 03:01 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,161
Re: 7 D Format

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by optomist1 View Post

to add a bit more, the 8D that Ford coined was is based upon a US DOD spec; although disputed by some, the likely "origin" of what we call an 8D is DOD MIL-STD-1520C
Having just read the MIL standard, I find no justification in it for the contention that the 8D concept sprang from it. Copy attached.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf MIL-STD-1520C.pdf (694.9 KB, 6 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >