The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Corrective Action Request (CAR) to Customer - Has anyone done this?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 17th May 2002, 12:52 PM
SniperMan

Total Posts: n/a
Angry Corrective Action Request (CAR) to Customer - Has anyone done this?

Can I issue corrective action to customers? Did it ever happen before?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th May 2002, 01:06 PM
CarolX

Total Posts: 2,168
tempting

I've been tempted many time in the past, but never have done it. Could cause bad customer relations.

CarolX
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th May 2002, 02:23 PM
KenS

CAR to customer

Did it twice. First customer was the U. S. Postal Service, Topeka, KS. We manufactured a replacement part for sorting machines, the part had a reported high failure rate in one specific location on the West Coast. Used the CAR form to gather information from that location to compare with data from parts I had on hand. Managed to get to the root cause, two months later.

Second time was in response to a customer's complaint. A part used in microwave transmitters was arcing from static, but only in the Arizona location. Determined that it was the polished finish that was the cause. The part had been used on the (humid) NE coast with no problems, only arced in (dry) Arizona. Used the CAR to document my analysis and request a change on the drawing(s).

Don't know if that is what you were thinking of. Just make sure you send it with a very nice cover letter, use buzz words like "supplier partnership".
  Post Number #4  
Old 17th May 2002, 04:54 PM
tarheel

Re: car to customer

Quote:
SniperMan said:

Can I issue corrective action to customers? Did it ever happen before?
I absolutely have. For example, when customers supply you with parts to be assembled into a package, if they screw up the part, I think you have to. They are not always thrilled, but in the wonderful world of QS, if you had a supplier reject, you better have some corrective action. And by the way, it feels really good!!!
  Post Number #5  
Old 20th May 2002, 07:56 AM
D.Scott

Total Posts: 1,592
Hmmmmmmmm

If they don't respond within 24 hours and give you a corrective action within 10 days, put them on containment. Cutting off their privledge to ship direct should help keep them in line.

Although I am being facetious, I would be very careful about sending a CAR to a customer. Sure, involve them in your resolution of problems but don't "pass the buck" back to them. Making the customer feel responsible for resolving your problem would seem to put your relationship in jepordy.

I'm not saying "don't involve the customer" - just be careful HOW you involve them. A partnership is one thing but CARs in our industry tend to have the meaning "You made a mistake and need to fix this".

My approach would follow more of a contact with my customer asking for his help in resolving MY CAR. JMHO.

Dave
Thanks to D.Scott for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 20th May 2002, 09:26 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,270
What Dave Said!

[QUOTE] D.Scott said:
I'm not saying "don't involve the customer" - just be careful HOW you involve them. A partnership is one thing but CARs in our industry tend to have the meaning "You made a mistake and need to fix this".

My approach would follow more of a contact with my customer asking for his help in resolving MY CAR. JMHO. __________________
I agree with Dave. When I hear the phrase "issue corrective action to customer" I think of someone sending a CAR form to their customer saying "this is wrong, it is not supposed to be this way, reference drawing xxx, etc. Please investigate and send a root cause analysis and actions you have taken to correct/prevent the problem in the future. Failure to do so may result in..." NOT the kind of thing to send to your customer, IMO!

But, as Dave said, involving the customer, asking for help or guidance from the customer, having a good dialogue that will help everyone in the long run -- that stuff is great medicine and I use it quite often.

A bit of diplomacy and grace can turn a failure or problem of some type into a situation that helps cement your relationship with the customer even more, making lemonade from lemons as the saying goes.

JMHO

Mike S.
  Post Number #7  
Old 20th May 2002, 10:08 AM
Michael T

Total Posts: 323
Thumbs up Yep- what they said...

SniperMan...

Gotta agree with this august bunch.

Customer "education" is very important if they are using your product incorrectly. I've had that happen a number of times. Never issued a CAR - but did study customer's installation technique and found the problem.

While it may be tempting (who am I kidding - it is VERY tempting) to issue a CAR to a customer - it probably isn't in your/your company's best interests to go that route.

Good luck!!!
  Post Number #8  
Old 20th May 2002, 10:19 AM
Al Dyer

At times I have issued multiple corrective action requests to customers. BUT, we were receiving cinsigned parts from the customer, shaping them, then returning them.

In this situation we were almost working as their final product inspection firm.

The problem got to be that they would ask us to contain the parts until a determination had been made. With limited floor space this can lead to a real problem for a JIT organization.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >