The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Critical Suppliers which will not allow us to audit them - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
critical suppliers, supplier audits, supplier control and monitoring

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 13th February 2015, 11:02 AM
Michael_M

Total Posts: 558
Re: Critical Suppliers which will not allow us to audit them

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by anderson2015 View Post

We send out a supplier questionnaire to all suppliers, on this document it asks "would you allow a member of our QMS to audit your company" all 3 of the Italian suppliers stated no as the answer.
If it is a requirement, why are you asking for permission on the questionnaire?

I agree with the above posts that this should be part of your contracts but now you have put yourself into a bit of a bind. You ask if you can come visit and they said 'no', if you force the issue and go visit anyway, your basically saying that the questionnaire is meaningless.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 13th February 2015, 11:03 AM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,086

Quote:

We don't really have any issues with product/services and we only request audits once per year so I wouldn't imagine it would be anything (from that perspective) for them to be too concerned about
Be careful in your expectations...

Once a year audits still cost the auditee money. If nothing else, it costs in the form of labor spent doing something other than generating profit.

I get once a year audits from >10 different customers. It doesn't feel like once a year...it feels like 10+ times a year.
It used to be more, but I have started delaying and diverting those that I could. From each customer's side, it probably looks to them like what you are describing.

Once a year does not seem like much to the person who is responsible for auditing...but it is a drain on the site being audited.
Make sure you understand it from their side.
  Post Number #11  
Old 13th February 2015, 11:12 AM
JLyt207

Total Posts: 62

Unique problem in that all the ones that said no are from the same country. Could there be a language issue? Was the survey poorly translated? Did any Italian vendors say yes?

Is there any link between the three? Or is each firm a separate one? Maybe there are business reasons. Do you have any competitors that would use them too? The only vendor I've had that refused an audit turned out to be expanding their business and are now more the competition than the vendor.
Thanks to JLyt207 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 13th February 2015, 12:02 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,168

Quote:

The chance to take in some tourist sites would be great
I've had experience with "Supplier Quality Auditors" who were more interested in picking up frequent flyer miles than protecting the customer's interests. Some expected us to wine and dine them as well. Don't be that kind of SQA.
Quote:

We send out a supplier questionnaire to all suppliers, on this document it asks "would you allow a member of our QMS to audit your company" all 3 of the Italian suppliers stated no as the answer.
Whoever drafted that questionnaire should NOT be allowed near the next one.
Quote:
The suppliers are critical as some of them are our only supplier (in some cases it may be a case of us simply not yet finding an alternative/secondary supplier) and they provide main inputs to our final product (key items) - we produce high pressure hoses so they are suppliers or rubber, fabric etc
That doesn't answer the questions:
"Are the products custom made to your specifications?" OR
"Are these products proprietary to the supplier - ones that supplier will sell to anyone?"
Quote:

I have not yet read through the purchase contracts, however the business is family owned and relatively new - if I was to take a guess I would say they do not contain info related to auditing.
Given what you have written, MY "expert from afar" take is this:
  1. Your organization needs an expert review of its designs to assure it has not painted itself into a corner by specifying proprietary products as components, thus limiting the number of suppliers.
  2. Your organization needs to review its supplier selection and approval process to eliminate opportunities to be put at the mercy of a supplier which is a sole supplier of a product used as a component by the customer.
  3. Communications between customer and supplier need to be improved so that each party sees the other as a partner, not an annoyance.
  4. The customer organization needs to review its own requirements for continuing approval of each supplier - sometimes, especially when buying off-the-shelf components or materials, it is not practical or feasible to even attempt to audit a supplier when the customer's purchases do not provide sufficient profit to the supplier to justify the cost of hosting an on-site audit. In such cases, review of approvals by other customers or third party auditors may be sufficient.
Thank You to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >