The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
ISO 11137 gamma sterilized device dose audit - Lead time?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
gamma dose audit, medical device(s), iso 11137 - medical device radiation sterilization, medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 18th November 2008, 11:01 PM
engineer0129

Total Posts: 1
Please Help! ISO 11137 gamma sterilized device dose audit - Lead time?

Hi everyone-

What is the typical lead time for a quarterly dose audit of a gamma sterilized device?

My packaging/sterilization vendor is claiming that it takes 8 weeks, and they need to hold the entire lot of product for those 8 weeks post sterilization. There has been no significant change in product or manufacturing since the last dose audit.

However, our in-house sterilization "expert" says the test only takes 2 days.

This doesn't make sense to me - why would anyone use gamma if 4 times a year their shipments are delayed by 8 weeks?

Thanks very much for any input!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 26th November 2008, 11:24 AM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,588
Re: ISO 11137 gamma sterilized device dose audit - Lead time?

Is there anyone here in the Cove that are subject matter experts on this subject?
  Post Number #3  
Old 27th November 2008, 05:40 AM
MIREGMGR

Total Posts: 3,685

I wouldn't call myself a subject matter expert, but:

What test are they doing over that eight weeks? That's a long time for lethality testing.

Are they also running testing for ISO 10993 biocompatibility, i.e. pyrogenicity of your materials at the designated dose? I assume that was tested and cleared during your original process validation. If your specific materials haven't changed and the dose hasn't changed, I wouldn't be clear on why new pyrogenicity testing would be required.

You must have asked for more information. What explanation have they offered you?
  Post Number #4  
Old 27th November 2008, 06:18 AM
chris1price

Total Posts: 258

Hi

Our quartly dose audits (for VDMax25) only take a few weeks. Probably a week for bioburden and 2 for sterility testing. Pyrogen testing normally only takes 2 weeks. As this is all part of a routine, historically well controlled process, we don't hold up production waiting for the results.

You may want to check, but I believe if you have 12 months of good information and reliable bioburden data, you can reduce the sterility testing to once a year, but keep quarterly bioburden. Have a look at 11137-1 Section 12.1.3.2 and see if it applies to your process.

Chris
  Post Number #5  
Old 27th November 2008, 10:13 AM
Jimmy the Brit

Total Posts: 153

I agree with Chris, the dose audit testing can be done on samples taken from the batch and certainly does not require the retention of the whole batch while the testing is being done. Its purpose is to demonstrate that the orginal dose validation versus your finished product bioburden remains valid, it is intended to pick up changes in the resistance and composition of the bioburden, and, as a result, is an ongoing commitment to verify the original dose choice was appropriate. Tell your irradiator to stop messing about, take the samples they need and then release the batch as normal.

Your in house expert is right in that the testing only requires two days, however it requires a further 14 days incubation time, and may require some dose sensitivity analysis which can take a further few days. Still no reason to sit on the batch though.

Jimmy
  Post Number #6  
Old 1st August 2010, 02:25 AM
arrabellaangel

Total Posts: 11

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jimmy the Brit View Post

Your in house expert is right in that the testing only requires two days, however it requires a further 14 days incubation time, and may require some dose sensitivity analysis which can take a further few days. Still no reason to sit on the batch though.

Jimmy
i agree with jimmy..our sterilizer only takes 5 days for bioburden and sterility test need 14 days...total lead only 3 - 4 weeks only..
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th August 2010, 03:59 AM
Kees Fremery

Total Posts: 13

Indeed a Periodic Dose Audit can be performed within 3-4 weeks. First of all irradiate the samples using the initial varification dose and test for sterility. During those two weeks of incubation the Bioburden test can be performed. No need to do the Bioburden test before the verification experiment because the verification dose already is determined.
  Post Number #8  
Old 13th October 2010, 09:29 AM
Aqeel Abbas

Total Posts: 24

We are planning to use gamma radiation for the sterilization of our single use medical device. The materials used in the device are all compatible with gamma radiation. In our country there is only one goverbment organization that offer gamm radaitioon servcies. They have clients like Johnsosn and Johnsons and other big local pharamceutical companies.

This organization however is not certified for ISO 13485.

They do help in process validation to develop a specific process for our devices.

My question is that can we subcontract their services? If the bioburden, sterility and pyrogencity tests performed as part of process validation are clear, can these alone be considered as performance qualification? Do we or the local notified body has to audit this organization? Are there any specific qualification for the auditor who can audit a gamma sterilization plant?

Thanks in advance for help.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >