IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iec 60335 - household electrical appliance safety, leakage current, safety (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd May 2018, 08:56 AM
EMengineer

Total Posts: 15
Please Help! IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement

Good day,

I have worked with IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60950-1 standards and there leakage current measurement principle was to measure current between appliance (enclosure, patient connections, etc.) and earth (simulate if human touches any part).
Recently I started to study IEC 60335-1 household appliances and there's leakage current measurement - but it slightly differs from mentioned above. The principle of current measurement is to measure it between one phase and enclosure. But what will I find when I measure current between primary circuit and enclosure? What is the main purpose/ idea of such measurement? As I understood during this measurement the earth connection should be open.
Here is the diagram from the IEC 60335-1:

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd May 2018, 04:33 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 3,232
Re: IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement

Quote:
I have worked with IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60950-1 standards and there leakage current measurement principle was to measure current between appliance (enclosure, patient connections, etc.) and earth (simulate if human touches any part).
Not sure where you got this. Leakage current is always measured between a "non-live"part of the equipment (as you mentioned, enclosure, patient connections, etc.) and live parts (energized parts, not earth. If you measure between a "non-live"part and earth you will always measure zero (or near zero).

This test from 60335 is a measurement of touch current (or enclosure leakage current in old standards). The exact same measurement same measurement (with some different setups) exists in 60601 and 60950.
  Post Number #3  
Old 3rd May 2018, 05:14 PM
EMengineer

Total Posts: 15

Thank you for your reply, I think I got confused with terminology. Does the leakage current mean the electric current which flows from parts at hazardous voltages to accessible parts, and touch current is the electric current which flows through human body when it touches one or more accessible parts?
Because in 60601-1 standard earth leakage current, patient and etc is measured between accessible parts and earth (example below):
  Post Number #4  
Old 3rd May 2018, 05:27 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 3,232

Earth leakage current is not a problem in itself, it's only there so there's a limit to prevent a huge leakage flux in the installation. The measurement in itself does not simulate a common condition, because it would simulate the person touching the live pin in one side and earth at the other.

The problematic leakage currents are the one from the enclosure (touch current) and patient (patient leakage current). Please note that patient leakage only exists in medical electrical equipment. Other standards are worried only with touch (enclosure) current.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >