The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
exports and exporting, libya, libyan ministry requirements, medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 21st January 2011, 07:33 AM
Burgmeister

Total Posts: 105
Question Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya

Hi all.

I wonder if there are any people on here whose company exports medical devices to Libya? If so, are there any requirements for registering your devices IN LIBYA? I am happy that I understand the controls this end (UK), but I am getting conflicting information regarding Libyan Ministry requirements. Unfortuantely I can't find any information directly from a Libyan government source so I would be grateful for any info from anyone with experience in this area.

Thanks
Thanks to Burgmeister for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:48 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,334
Re: Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Burgmeister View Post

Hi all.

I wonder if there are any people on here whose company exports medical devices to Libya? If so, are there any requirements for registering your devices IN LIBYA? I am happy that I understand the controls this end (UK), but I am getting conflicting information regarding Libyan Ministry requirements. Unfortunately, I can't find any information directly from a Libyan government source so I would be grateful for any info from anyone with experience in this area.

Thanks
Can someone help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.
  Post Number #3  
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:04 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,219
Look! Re: Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya

Refer my earlier post - Medical Device Registration requirements for Algeria and Libya

Also some FAQs on Libya HERE

Post Number #4  
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:13 PM
MIREGMGR

Total Posts: 3,685

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ajit Basrur View Post

Refer my earlier post - Medical Device Registration requirements for Algeria and Libya

Also some FAQs on Libya HERE
Both of those resources pertain to US Government rules...not relevant to medical device registration and regulation by Libya, and in any case not relevant to export from UK, i.e. the EC, to Libya.

Also, US exporters might want to note that some of that information may predate the current State Department stance vis-a-vis Libya.
  Post Number #5  
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:09 PM
MIREGMGR

Total Posts: 3,685

This English-language website http://www.libyaonline.com/guide/gui...w=33&userid=49 has a listing of Libyan governmental agencies and ministries, with phone numbers and websites.

The governmental website system seems to be quite comprehensive. I don't find any mention of medical device import registration or regulation on the sites for the Ministry of Economy and Trade. At the Ministry of Health and Environment site, the limited English language subsite lists a Directorate for Drugs and Medical Equipment, with a Department for Medical Equipment and Supplies and another one for Registration and Inspection.

By drilling down at the Arabic site with the help of Google-translate, I found the terms-and-conditions document for Tender #39, which I gather is the annual purchasing program of the governmental health system for imported pharma and devices. There is an English-language requirements document (the regular one is English, the "detailed" one is Arabic) on this page: http://www.health.gov.ly/web/index.p...d=38&Itemid=77. It makes reference, in the Technical File section, to requirements for:

B) - (ISO) & (GMP) certificates for sterile Medical devices ;
C) ISO certificate from the manufactures of the laboratory reagents and
Devices .

It sounds to me as if Libya follows what my company calls a "third tier" approach, in that they accept documentation from a supplier of a manufacturer's conformance to a first tier regulatory system (in this case, ISO 13485) as sufficient to establish that devices from that manufacturer are acceptable for import and use.

I'd guess that a CE certificate would be helpful as well, though it isn't called out.

I don't see any indication of a requirement for registration of the external supplier. Perhaps, as in several other Arabic-culture countries, there is a separate requirement for registration of the local importing company as an agent of the external supplier, with regulation applied to the local importer.
Thank You to MIREGMGR for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 24th January 2011, 05:18 AM
Burgmeister

Total Posts: 105

Thanks Miregmgr. Most helpful. I have sent an email to the Health Department in Libya to seek confirmation of the process. Whether they reply or not is another matter......

If they do reply I will post the response here so that it may help others who come across this in the future. Given that UKTI is positively promoting Libya as a 'place to do business' it may well be something fellow members of this forum come across.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >