The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
When are Medical Device Accessories MD's?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
medical device accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 20th April 2017, 03:06 AM
Highground

Total Posts: 21
Question When are Medical Device Accessories MD's?

Hi Everyone,
I received this question from a person asking about the TGA...or telling me. Can anyone let me know how I need to register accessories if they apart of a whole system? We listed them as accessories and have been registered for 5 years with TGA, they also have their own UDI# Help?

This is the email.

The “system” is registered as a whole, including any components.

However, should a probe or other components, which are termed as Medical Devices (e.g. probe / sensor) are to be supplied separately at a later stage, the TGA requires us to register them separately as Medical Device on its own class (if they are classified as Medical Devices).

Therefore, I would like to have a clarification, whether on their own, the sensors such as venous xxx or arterial xxx or the flow probes for the system are considered Medical Devices or not?

If you are classifying them as “Non-Medical Devices” in EU, I would like you to confirm that.
======================
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 21st April 2017, 04:04 AM
sreenu927

Total Posts: 538
Re: When are Medical Device Accessories MD's?

TGA registration (in Australia) is for each individual medical device/accessory and if it is a system, then each individual component of that system/pack.
The registration of your accessories has to be by GMDN Code. Identify the GMDN Code for those specific accessories, classify accordingly and provide necessary documentation to your Australian Sponsor.

Regards
Sreenu
Thanks to sreenu927 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 21st April 2017, 04:25 AM
Highground

Total Posts: 21

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sreenu927 View Post

TGA registration (in Australia) is for each individual medical device/accessory and if it is a system, then each individual component of that system/pack.
The registration of your accessories has to be by GMDN Code. Identify the GMDN Code for those specific accessories, classify accordingly and provide necessary documentation to your Australian Sponsor.

Regards
Sreenu
Thank you! This helps greatly!
  Post Number #4  
Old 21st April 2017, 04:30 AM
GCF21

Total Posts: 5

If your products have been registered with the TGA for 5 years my suggestion would be to speak to your Australian sponsor who should be able to advise on this.
  Post Number #5  
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:42 AM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,379

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Highground View Post

Hi Everyone,
I received this question from a person asking about the TGA...or telling me. Can anyone let me know how I need to register accessories if they apart of a whole system? We listed them as accessories and have been registered for 5 years with TGA, they also have their own UDI# Help?

This is the email.

The “system” is registered as a whole, including any components.

However, should a probe or other components, which are termed as Medical Devices (e.g. probe / sensor) are to be supplied separately at a later stage, the TGA requires us to register them separately as Medical Device on its own class (if they are classified as Medical Devices).

Therefore, I would like to have a clarification, whether on their own, the sensors such as venous xxx or arterial xxx or the flow probes for the system are considered Medical Devices or not?

If you are classifying them as “Non-Medical Devices” in EU, I would like you to confirm that.
======================
Any help would be appreciated.
Hi,

My response below is based on my knowledge of the Australian medical devices regulatory system, and on my experience, including as an Australian sponsor. It's somewhat a shot in the dark though because I haven't seen what the TGA has written to your company, exactly.

In my understanding if you qualify and register a system (a medical device) with the TGA, and the scope covers any components / spare parts / accessories that are initially supplied with / as part of the system, and some of those are later re-supplied to the system's end-user, they wouldn't require a separate registration (ARTG inclusion). However, if some of those items are supplied to other users independent of the system under which they were initially cleared, they might require their own inclusion, depending on what they actually are in the regulatory sense.

An accessory to a medical device is defined as an item that's intended by its legal manufacturer to enable another* medical device to fulfill its own intended use (as intended by the medical device's legal manufacturer). If a given medical device is able to fulfill its own intended use without the item in question, or the item's legal manufacturer didn't specifically intend their item to serve that specific medical device, the item is not an accessory to that medical device. If there is no specific medical device which an item in question is an accessory to, it is not an accessory to a medical device at all.

The Australian system is very much the same as the EU one (under the MDD) and therefore there shouldn't be a major difference in the way the same situation is handled in both.

Cheers,
Ronen.

*) If the item is enabling a medical device that the item is officially a part of (eg a system), it's a component of that device and not an accessory to it.

Last edited by Ronen E; 22nd April 2017 at 01:52 AM.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >