Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
biocompatibility, iso 10993 - biological evaluation of medical devices, packaging (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 22nd July 2016, 06:24 AM
Riskophil

Total Posts: 4
Please Help! Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the biocomp Evaluation of a medical device.

What we usually do is evaluating the device according to ISO 10993 (cytotox, sensitization, Irritation...).

We are also stating that our Primary packaging materials (eye drops) are free of phtalates and BPA in this context.
Here we are further referring to a document that states numerous "Free of..." parts. We are also adressing SVHC, GMO, BSE/TSE, Heavy Metals and a lot more.

I was wondering of what would be really mandatory and what not since the ISO 10993 never requested one of those Topics (to my knowledge) explicitly. So how can you show safety without exaggerating everything.

Is it even possible to leave out some of the components that are not in contact with either the product or the Patient.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Phil

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:08 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,736
Re: Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements

Hi Phil,

Risk management is the way to go.

You have to distinguish between regulatory requirements and market (client) requirements.

As far as I know, ISO 10993 doesn't deal directly with any of the specifics you mentioned.

Some regulations relate to phthalates, BSE/TSE and heavy metals, but applicability depends on the geographical regulatory domain (EU, USA etc.) and the specifics of your devices.

I suggest you put it all in a Risk Management framework (ISO 14971 or similar), identify the concerns and the applicable regulations and address them as necessary through one or more of: standard compliance, other testing, supply chain evidence or your own declarations / justifications. That would be an acceptable way of demonstrating safety.

Whatever is not required for mitigating a risk or addressing a regulatory requirement can be dropped, provided that it's not explicitly required by a client. Keep in mind though that your marketing guys might argue that some of those "free of..." statements have general positive market appeal and should therefore stay even though no explicit requirement exists...

I hope that the above is not completely useless to you...

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited by Ronen E; 26th September 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 26th September 2016, 02:41 PM
Julie O

Total Posts: 221
Re: Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements

I know of no reason to evaluate a component for biocompatibility if it is not in contact with the product or the USERS. Users can include patients, physicians, and other personnel. Let your intended use be your guide.

I second Ronen's comment about marketing. I would get their input before dropping any claims, even ones that don't seem technically relevant to you.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >