Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsGamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishmentThe Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
dose audit, gamma irradiation sterilization, sterility and sterilization techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 12th January 2018, 03:24 AM
htcoztrk

Total Posts: 5
Please Help! Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment

Hello all!

I'm a QA Manager in a medical device manufacturing company. We were doing EO sterilization for our products but now we have started to manufacture a device that not suitable for EO but required Gamma irridation. Neither I or company has no past with gamma as we are using EO for many years.
We completed validation process (dose setting, bioburdens, sterility and dose mapping) cooperated with a testing institue. Validation done according to Method 1 as recommended by lab chief. Now it's been 6 months since we perform the validation and we will start production. So we did perform bioburden tests on 10 products from one batch.
I read ISO 11137 however there are two issues that not clear to me. I'll appreciate if you can help me if you have any experience or knowledge on these issues.

1) What does 'dose audit' mean? Is it enough if we test the avarage bioburden level on 10 units of product? Do we need to irridate the products in verification dose and perform sterility every 3 months or only if bioburden level is high? I saw that standard asks for 110 products for dose audit so do we really use all these number of product for dose audits?

2) We received a letter from our irridation sterilizer and they are replenishmenting the irridation source. IQ and OQ will be revalidated by sterilizer. However I wonder if replenishment of source is effecting our PQ validation? Is it enough if we perform only dose mapping or do we need to repeat all PQ process?

Thank you in advance for your helps.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 12th January 2018, 11:43 AM
chris1price

Total Posts: 218
re: Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment

Hi, I'll try to answer your questions, however i recommend reading section 10.2 of 11137-2 very carefully.

The dose audit can be thought of as a verificaton that nothig has changed in the product or processes. For Method 1, you select 110 pieces. you perform bioburden on 10 pieces. If the results are ok, sterilise the remaining 100 at the verification dose and test for sterility. You are allowed up to 2 positive results. The standard explains what to do if you get positive results.

Yes this has to be done every quarter. Once you have good data, the period can be increased to 12 months - take a look at 11137-1 section 12.1.3.2

This is one of the major issues with Method 1, testing 110 pieces every quarter can get expensive and time consuming. a VDMax method only uses 20 pieces.

When they change the radiatoin source, you should only need to redo the dose mapping. I do not think there is any need to do PQ or other tests.

Chris
Thanks to chris1price for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 12th January 2018, 02:31 PM
htcoztrk

Thank you for your replyChris. I'll check again carefully your reffered clauses of standard.

Meanwhile I have another question that I think you may have an answer. We have two product sterilized by gamma. Since the materials are different we performed two validation. I already completed bioburden test for 10 units from a batch and determined the avarage level for both of them. However it's been 40 days since product 1 and 20 days since product 2 and I did not send out any goods for irridation&sterility testing because I was thinking bioburden is enough. But we released some batch of goods because average bioburden levels was appropriate. Do I need to initiate a recall?
  Post Number #4  
Old 13th January 2018, 04:41 PM
isolytical

Total Posts: 23

In today's regulatory environment the concept of continuous validation replaces periodic validation. There is an FDA guide that explains the current thinking.
  Post Number #5  
Old 15th January 2018, 04:23 AM
htcoztrk

Re: Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by isolytical View Post

In today's regulatory environment the concept of continuous validation replaces periodic validation. There is an FDA guide that explains the current thinking.
Thank you for your reply. I look into few guaidance from FDA however I couldn't find any date about this concept. Do you have any link or document in your hand? I'll appreciate if you can share it with me.
  Post Number #6  
Old 15th January 2018, 07:24 AM
chris1price

Total Posts: 218

Whether or not you perform a recall is a decision for your company and the regulatory climate you operate in (US, EU, etc). I would perform a risk assessment looking at the validation, the sterilisation batch data and the bioburden and asses the risks involved; together with getting the products on test and looking at the results.

Hopefully, the issue is just that you are not following ISO11137 (a regulatory risk) and not that you have a risk of non-sterile product.

If you decide not to, you should document the decision and have a CAPA or deviation in place.

Chris
  Post Number #8  
Old 18th January 2018, 09:55 AM
htcoztrk

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by chris1price View Post

Whether or not you perform a recall is a decision for your company and the regulatory climate you operate in (US, EU, etc). I would perform a risk assessment looking at the validation, the sterilisation batch data and the bioburden and asses the risks involved; together with getting the products on test and looking at the results.

Hopefully, the issue is just that you are not following ISO11137 (a regulatory risk) and not that you have a risk of non-sterile product.

If you decide not to, you should document the decision and have a CAPA or deviation in place.

Chris
Thank for your suggestion Chris. Would you perform the sterilisation audit simultaneously to sterility testing on sterilisation batch? Also should I consider to get sample from each batch that have been irridated since today for sterility testing or sampling from a representative batch?

-Hatice

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >