The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Every US state has Medical Device Regulations beside FDA Regulations
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
fda (food and drug administration), medical device standards and regulations, regulations and regulatory requirements, united states (usa)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:02 AM
export

Total Posts: 8
Please Help! Every US state has Medical Device Regulations beside FDA Regulations

Hi all,
Every US state has its own medical device regulation beside FDA regulation. I can not search the link health dept of each state. And state regulation is much different and independent to federal regulation? Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:08 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,362
Re: Every US state has Medical Device Regulation in ev

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by export View Post

Hi all,
Every US state has its own medical device regulation beside FDA regulation. I can not search the link health dept of each state. And state regulation is much different and independent to federal regulation? Thanks
Is it not the state regulation PLUS the Federal regulation ... ?
  Post Number #3  
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:48 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,215
Re: Every US state has Medical Device Regulations beside FDA Regulations

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by export View Post

Hi all,
Interesting question ....

I havent heard about this. Are you refering to any of the Inter-State commerce related issues ?
  Post Number #4  
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:57 AM
JeantheBigone

Total Posts: 165

You are correct, and right now it is complicated.

Many but not all US states regulate medical device manufacturers. What is worse, it is not always the same agency in each state which does the regulating, and the laws can be very different. This grew out of regulation of drug distributors and also in part because some states feel that the FDA is not providing sufficient oversight to device manufacturers.

DISCLAIMER: The list below is not complete, I am currently working on getting a comprehensive list but this often involves calling people at various states for clarification so I am ab out halfway through. Also it is subject to change as the laws of individual states can also change.

A few states currently do not regulate device manufacturers:
VT, NY, OH, NM, MN, ND, OR

Some states have establishment regiatration for device manufacturers only if they are located in-state:
TX, GA, MA, PA, NH

Some states require a separate license if the device manufacturer sells directly to patients:
MS, GA, NH, NV

MO requires a license if the company is selling to anyone other than patients.

Some states require a license if the manufacturer's products are distrubuted into the state in any way:
LA, ID, NH, CT

Most states require registration and/or permit if the device contains a drug.

Many states require a permit if the device is considered DME and the company is selling to patients.

In some cases it makes a difference if the device manufacturer uses a distributor, in some cases it doesn't.

States generally use the term "Legend device" to describe the type of device which they regulate. This term refers to the "legend" present on devices cleared by the FDA "Caution: Federal Law (USA) restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician"

If you want to check whether a state regulates medical device manufacturers, try looking for the state "Board of Pharmacy" since this is most often the agency responsible for registration, permitting and licensing.

Also a very good resource can be found here:

http://www.hida.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ONTENTID=13594

But be careful, as of today this report is 18 months old and a lot can change. OR for example has proposed a law requiring all prescription device manufacturers to register, so this state can go from no registration to required registration overnight at any day.

Edited to add:
I also find this list helpful as a starting point to find the state agencies that might be responsible for licensing and permitting medical device manufacturers. It applies to drugs, but most often whichever agency regulates drug distributors and manufacturers also regulates device manufacturers and distributors.
http://www.sentrybps.com/gmp-facilit...registrations/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any company or organization associated with the links posted.

Last edited by JeantheBigone; 3rd January 2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added biopharma list
Thank You to JeantheBigone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:49 AM
MIREGMGR

Total Posts: 3,685

When I last talked with FDA about this issue, particularly in regard to a conflict between a particular state regulation and FDA's rules, the view expressed to me was that in the event of such a conflict, FDA regards such state regulations as pre-empted by federal law. Of course, a state might see things differently, but I'd be surprised if a state Attorney General would see it as a good use of resources to get into a jurisdictional fight (which would be heard in a federal court) with FDA and the federal Justice Department over whether an otherwise-properly-behaving medical device maker should be singly or doubly regulated.
  Post Number #6  
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:05 AM
JeantheBigone

Well the current status is that a state can and will fine and/or shut down a device manufacturer who does not follow state rules. I've had this happen with a foreign manufacturer who wanted to ship their products wholesale into one of the more restrictive states. Their distributor simply refused to take delivery until the manufacturer was properly licensed.

As far as state level inspections go, many states opt not to (my guess is this has to do with sending a signal about how hostile the business climate is.) See for example here.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...&i=health_care

Licenses, permits, registrations go from $100-$600. I think states are using this as a way to generate revenues.
Thanks to JeantheBigone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:48 AM
export

Total Posts: 8

Thank JeantheBigone for helpful inf. FDA regulate both domestic and foreign manufacturer of medical device but state regulation does not say clearly about foreign facility. I know many usa dental lab use offshoring and it seems that foreign labs do not meet any trouble when coming into any sate, no customs clearance and no need permit from state health authority.Is that right?
  Post Number #8  
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:05 AM
JeantheBigone

The state regulations do not differentiate between out of state and out of the US. They also do not make exceptions for non-US manufacturers.

For example, Pennsylvania requires registration from manufacturers if they are in-state. If a manufacturer is not in Pennsylvania, it doesn't matter if they are in Ohio or France, they are out of state.

Dental laboratories are a grey area.

As far as I know they are not (yet) regulated at the Federal level but there are rumors that this might change.

Registration is not required for domestic laboratories
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script....cfm?fr=807.65

but is required for foreign laboratories
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script....cfm?fr=807.40

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/...L%20Letter.pdf

This might also be helpful
http://www.nadl.org/lib//FDARegulati...bligations.pdf

At the state level again laws can be different. I have not made a thorough study of state regulation of dental laboratories, but I did notice when reading many state regulations that there are exemptions for manufacturers if they are producing custom devices intended for a specific individual. Some state however do require registration of in-state dental laboratories. I refer to NADL who has put together a clickable map as a resource.

http://www.nadl.org/stateboards/stateboards.cfm

Last edited by JeantheBigone; 3rd January 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added links
Thank You to JeantheBigone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >