The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UDI (barcode, datamatrix) Verification Solutions
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

UDI (barcode, datamatrix) Verification Solutions - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
unique device identification (udi), verification (general), medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 11th October 2017, 11:20 AM
miken99

Total Posts: 11
Re: UDI (barcode, datamatrix) Verification Solutions

I know that GS1 has built a 'super verifier' for linear barcode calibration cards. It was delivered fairly recently so it may just be an issue of starting up the system.
We did not build the system but we were involved and very familiar with the project.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 11th October 2017, 11:28 AM
greif

Total Posts: 45

I knew they were working on a new 1D master verifier (I think the original delivery was supposed to be a year or two ago).

This is one of the reasons I wonder if they will pull out of the market for calibrated cards. Likely they will pull out, since they need a source of these 1D cards where all the symbols grade exactly in the center 1/3 of the grade range, and they are extremely difficult to make. (and it is a pretty small market for an outfit their size).
Sponsored Links

Post Number #19  
Old 12th October 2017, 11:07 AM
greif

Total Posts: 45

Question; does Mil-std-130N restrict the testing of barcode verifiers only to GS1 test cards, or can any card that is referenced to nationally traceable standards be used?

Mil-std-130N says:
5.2.7.2.2 Calibration. Calibration processes and materials for reflectance criteria provided
by the verifier manufacturer are acceptable for printed labels when referenced to the nationally
traceable standard (GS1 US Calibrated Conformance Standard Test Cards)

Maybe this is a little ambiguous, but wouldn't any Primary reference test symbol that was calibrated to "the nationally traceable standard" be suitable? Do the parentheses in the Mil Std. have special significance?
  Post Number #20  
Old 12th October 2017, 12:57 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,016

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by greif View Post

Question; does Mil-std-130N restrict the testing of barcode verifiers only to GS1 test cards, or can any card that is referenced to nationally traceable standards be used?

Mil-std-130N says:
5.2.7.2.2 Calibration. Calibration processes and materials for reflectance criteria provided by the verifier manufacturer are acceptable for printed labels when referenced to the nationally traceable standard (GS1 US Calibrated Conformance Standard Test Cards)

Maybe this is a little ambiguous, but wouldn't any Primary reference test symbol that was calibrated to "the nationally traceable standard" be suitable? Do the parentheses in the Mil Std. have special significance?
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but when I read MIL-STD-130N it seemed to imply that the GS1 cards are the ones they require. I'd welcome discussion on any other opinions.
  Post Number #21  
Old 12th October 2017, 06:42 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,526

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by greif View Post

Mil-std-130N says:
5.2.7.2.2 Calibration. Calibration processes and materials for reflectance criteria provided
by the verifier manufacturer are acceptable for printed labels when referenced to the nationally
traceable standard (GS1 US Calibrated Conformance Standard Test Cards)
Reading this, it seems that GS1 US Calibrated Conformance Standard Test Cards are the nationally traceable standard.
  Post Number #22  
Old 12th October 2017, 11:41 PM
miken99

Total Posts: 11

Perhaps a bit of history might help.

Barcode verification standards were codified in 1990 through ANSI.

A bit later Applied Image, greif's company, made some of the first barcode calibration standard cards. They were purchased by a variety of companies directly from Applied Image by barcode developers and verification companies and delivered to consumer product manufacturers primarily.

Eventually GS1 started to purchase and resell the cards that AI made and then they private labeled AI cards. Now they make the cards for 2D and linear codes using new 'super verifiers' developed for the purpose.

Today, calibration cards are made by both parties and maybe others. There are a wide variety of cards that are made to suit various purposes. All create and test their cards characteristics using NIST traceable standards. To the best of my knowledge there is no national standard to be used exclusively. I think that the parenthsis was meant to mean 'like GS1' rather than specifying only GS1.

I certainly believe in standards and gage R&R. However, if you are really working on barcode printing systems where you are hoping that this level of precision is going to help bring your grade up above the minimum allowable, then I suggest you step back a bit and look at the big picture. You may need to increase the barcode size to bring up decodeability, increase contrast by using better inks or printing a background, etc. You may even have to step up your game and change to a printing system that is more capable. Todays target is ISO Grade 3-4 which gives you a bit of room for the inevitable goof up.

In many applications that barcode is no longer just another mark. It is data, money, automation, safety, relationships, etc.
Thanks to miken99 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >