Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
calibration verification, pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical industry, scales and balances

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 14th February 2013, 01:41 PM
WalkingSeed

Total Posts: 30
Please Help! Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification

I question came to me today regarding the daily verification of high capacity weighing scales used in phamaceutical production. This is in reference to scales with capacities of 500kg and higher. I have not seen daily verifications of high capacity weighing scales but am very familiar with the practice of performing daily / pre-use verification of analytical balances in compliance with USP <41>. Does anybody have any experience with production plants performing daily verifications of high capacity weighing scales? If so, are the checks done to capacity or some fraction of the scale capacity?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 14th February 2013, 08:53 PM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,208
Look! Re: Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by WalkingSeed View Post

I question came to me today regarding the daily verification of high capacity weighing scales used in phamaceutical production. This is in reference to scales with capacities of 500kg and higher. I have not seen daily verifications of high capacity weighing scales but am very familiar with the practice of performing daily / pre-use verification of analytical balances in compliance with USP <41>. Does anybody have any experience with production plants performing daily verifications of high capacity weighing scales? If so, are the checks done to capacity or some fraction of the scale capacity?
We had earlier discussed an identical situation here - Daily weight checks of floor scales and there are some good points described in it.

If it does not address your questions, pls come back.
  Post Number #3  
Old 15th February 2013, 12:40 AM
WalkingSeed

Re: Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification

My question is related specifically to the pharma environment. I looked at the thread you suggested and it provided no answer relevant to current practices in pharma.
  Post Number #4  
Old 15th February 2013, 01:56 PM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,208

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by WalkingSeed View Post

My question is related specifically to the pharma environment. I looked at the thread you suggested and it provided no answer relevant to current practices in pharma.
From a Pharmaceutical perspective, 21 CFR Part 211.68 (a) states -

(a) Automatic, mechanical, or electronic equipment or other types of equipment, including computers, or related systems that will perform a function satisfactorily, may be used in the manufacture, processing, packing, and holding of a drug product. If such equipment is so used, it shall be routinely calibrated, inspected, or checked according to a written program designed to assure proper performance. Written records of those calibration checks and inspections shall be maintained.

Thus if the weighing scale under discussion contributes to the "quality" of the product, a daily verification is required in addition to the calibration at predefined intervals.
Thanks to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 15th February 2013, 11:36 PM
WalkingSeed

There is nothing in that regulation that prescribes a daily verification check unlike USP <41>. Regular calibration according to documented procedures are a routine function. I am looking for practical experience with this. Having worked for a few decades in regulated environments I am very familiar with what the law says. My question is, is anybody doing daily verifications of high capacity scales used in manufacturing and if so, how?
  Post Number #6  
Old 19th April 2014, 05:13 AM
Edwin2

Total Posts: 2

I think it depends on that what task you perform these scale. Because when you use it during production, then you must calibrate it daily to get the accurate result when you using scale in a pharmaceutical industry.

Last edited by Stijloor; 19th April 2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarity and typo.
  Post Number #7  
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:55 AM
Edwin2

Total Posts: 2

Why not you use NTEP certified Scales because these scale and more accuracy and you can get accurate results with that scales even you don't calibrate them daily.
  Post Number #8  
Old 18th May 2016, 06:44 AM
compliance24

Total Posts: 3

Yes. High capacity scales do need daily weight verification. The best way to establish this is by using weights covering the range of working capacity.. Generally 50, 100 and 150% of working capacity to prove linearity.. Have seen this in multiple pharmaceutical plants.. Hope this answers your question!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >