The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
improvement, improvement suggestions, offices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 1st November 2013, 07:58 AM
TPMB4

Total Posts: 379
Re: Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices

Can I just say one more thing?

My reason for bringing this up is because I am trying to get a better way that works with me and my colleagues. I am looking to standardize the paper and electronic filing in my little bit of the organization and am looking for ideas. Being in Quality I feel the need to lead by example (as mentioned better by others here). 5S is my idea and model for this change. It worked in production here and will work in the office and fileserver (our little bit of it at least).

If successful I hope the others will take the system on board too.

My only difficulty is how to write a plan up for filing system that works for paper and electronic files. That works across departments. That makes it easy to find stuff. Do you file by project, customer, part type, document type? In my mind there are very many different ways of creating the filing hierarchy that I just can't decide which is best. Daft to get stumped by something so simple.

Then once the system is designed I would implement locally at least. Also I believe in a clean desk policy. By that I think at the end of the day you should leave your desk devoid of clutter. Perhaps just a computer, stationary holder (pens, pencils, etc.) and your clean mug (we all have our own, favourite caffeine holder I will wager). All files you are working on or will work on or needs filing will be filed away, stored in a set drawer for use tomorrow or disposed of as appropriate. I understand for data security reasons some employers actually make it a rule that files are locked away at night and desks are left plain. I once worked in such a place. It was actually agony for me!!!
Thanks to TPMB4 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 1st November 2013, 08:09 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,290

An evergreen site on Office 5S
Thanks to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #19  
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:16 PM
kgott

Total Posts: 1,027

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Claes Gefvenberg View Post

Here I go again... I'd like you to consider this angle:

Most of the time we try to improve the workshops, but how about ourselves? We have been discussing continual improvement and preventive action to fare the well.. How about our own desks (I presume that most of us have one), bookshelves, cabinets, PC's et all? Are we projecting the image we would like to, or....?
  • Our desks? Paper avalanche hazard areas?
  • Bookshelves and cabinets? Are they full of stuff we "may need some day"?
  • Our computers? Can we find what we need without searching for hours? Hundreds of unread mails waiting for us? When was the last time we gave our PC's a house cleaning?

Well, you see what I'm getting at: Hints, ideas, good and bad examples and so on...

Discuss...

/Claes
To draw conclusions on appearances can be misleading. Some people are just naturally clean and tidy and others vary right through to opposite. Then again perception carries a lot of weight. I am one of those who is more quite untidy than tidy and I have a good clean up once in a while.

How important is in an office situation? Depends on risk of injury to people, risk of potential damage to the management system and risk to the customer.

Are clean and tidy people better than untidy people? Depends on organisational and personal values I suppose.
Thanks to kgott for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #20  
Old 4th November 2013, 05:05 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Thumbs up Re: Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by TPMB4 View Post

A Zombie thread but perhaps worth picking up again.
Wow... 10 years!
Quote:

How have the previous posters got on with their office improvement? Success or still work in progress?
Reasonable success and work in progress as far as I am concerned: We took up 5S in the office, and to be honest we botched it a bit by being too rigid and too focused on the red tape. Not uncommon, but there it is. The bloke in charge of the effort simply fired up the engine, took off, and ended up missing the station by about a mile. Still: It paid off anyway. Even if we dropped back a bit when he left, we did not drop all the way back, and so we have acheived a marked improvement.

Personally, I have been practicing it on a personal level for the last 25 years, because I felt the need to do it, not because I was told to. That in itself is probably the main factor making it work for me. Thus, when Office 5S finally came our way, I changed absolutely nothing, as I was already way ahead of the objectives.

I have no in tray on my desk: I ask people to send me things digitally, and when I do get papers they do not survive for long: If it is something I need to keep, I scan it and toss the paper copy.

Before you ask: No, this does not take time. Instead, it saves me massive amounts of time, but it may not work as well for others, as this is my way of working, suited to my needs, and set up by myself. We are all different, and I would never try to enforce my setup on somebody else.

Exchanging tricks, tips and good ideas here is a different matter. Let's do it: A lot has happened since this thread was started.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by harry View Post

An evergreen site on Office 5S
Good link, Harry. Thank's.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kgott View Post

To draw conclusions on appearances can be misleading.
Indeed, and this is why I am disinclined to set any hard and fast rules in cases like this. A good exchange of ideas on the other hand...

/Claes
Thanks to Claes Gefvenberg for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #21  
Old 4th November 2013, 07:53 AM
TPMB4

One thing I do believe in is a scheduled clean up. This is where I basically file, throw away, scan or delegate things off my desk. It is a thorough process and leaves my desk a blank canvas again. Not efficient and definitely not 5S! I think we can all end up with piles of paperwork (except the few who scan their papers, preferring to work paperless as much as possible). It is good to control that at times and by scheduling it I find that works for me.
Thank You to TPMB4 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #22  
Old 4th November 2013, 12:01 PM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Thumbs up Re: Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices

I agree with most of what you say, but this part intrigued me a bit:
Quote:

Not efficient and definitely not 5S!
Could you expand a bit on it?

Apart from that, I schedule clean up too, but mainly concerning the computer based stuff, and can tell you that I really do my best to push Outlook and its functions to their limits.

/Claes
  Post Number #23  
Old 4th November 2013, 12:13 PM
TPMB4

Before posting I edited it heavily, removing a large paragraph before and after. The comment would have made sense with the first paragraph.

Basically I deleted a few comments about my desk being a series of piles of paperwork which only I know what is in there and can reach for anything I need, when I need it. That I'm a hoarder. And many other similar comments. To put it bluntly I need the scheduled clear out because there is no more room for anything on my desk. When I no longer have room for my mug of coffee I know it is time for that scheduled clear out!!

I hope that explains why it is not 5S, I just don't get much further than S1!!!!
Thanks to TPMB4 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #24  
Old 4th November 2013, 12:14 PM
TPMB4

Mind you, to be fair to myself, I am now very practised in S1 of the office 5S that I can now clear my desk in 5 minutes!!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >