The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
preventive action systems, procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 29th July 2014, 11:58 AM
BubbaDog56

Total Posts: 37
Please Help! Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure

I am trying to write a PA procedure that meets the requirements of ISO 9001:2008 6.5.3 a-e, and reflects our actual environment. Virtually all of our PAs are currently based on daily business processes such as:

- Preventive maintenance
- Calibration
- Design review/FMEA
- Disaster planning
- Various standing meetings reviewing design status, production planning, sales forecasting, etc.

These are all items that we can show records and evidence for, but it seems like the standard still looks towards a 'fill out a PA form' mentality. The minimalistic procedure I have fleshed out is below, trying to stay flexible and reflect our actual business practices. Feedback and inputs are greatly appreciated, I have a serious case of writer's block right now, and have registrars arriving for an initial doc review and gap analysis within a few days....

Procedure -

6.1 Preventive actions may be initiated and implemented via a number of sources, including but not limited to:

- Ongoing established business processes
- Departmental initiatives
- Analysis of data
- Customer feedback
- Employee suggestions

6.2 Potential preventive actions shall be reviewed for validity and appropriateness of taking action. This may include the perceived severity of the problem, cost versus return on investment, timeframe to implement, and/or other factors.

6.3 Records of preventive actions and their results shall be kept. Records may include, but are not limited to:

- Reports
- Logs
- Records
- Meeting Minutes
- Task Lists

6.5 Preventive actions taken shall be reviewed to determine effectivity. This may be demonstrated by, but not limited to:

- Examination of objective evidence & records
- Monitoring of processes
- Ongoing meeting minutes and/or task lists

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 29th July 2014, 02:09 PM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,463
Lightbulb Re: Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BubbaDog56 View Post

I am trying to write a PA procedure that meets the requirements of ISO 9001:2008 8.5.3 a-e, and reflects our actual environment. Virtually all of our PAs are currently based on daily business processes such as:

- Preventive maintenance
- Calibration
- Design review/FMEA
- Disaster planning
- Various standing meetings reviewing design status, production planning, sales forecasting, etc.

These are all items that we can show records and evidence for, but it seems like the standard still looks towards a 'fill out a PA form' mentality. The minimalistic procedure I have fleshed out is below, trying to stay flexible and reflect our actual business practices. Feedback and inputs are greatly appreciated, I have a serious case of writer's block right now, and have registrars arriving for an initial doc review and gap analysis within a few days....

Procedure -

6.1 Preventive actions may be initiated and implemented via a number of sources, including but not limited to:

- Ongoing established business processes
- Departmental initiatives
- Analysis of data
- Customer feedback
- Employee suggestions

6.2 Potential preventive actions shall be reviewed for validity and appropriateness of taking action. This may include the perceived severity of the problem, cost versus return on investment, timeframe to implement, and/or other factors.

6.3 Records of preventive actions and their results shall be kept. Records may include, but are not limited to:

- Reports
- Logs
- Records
- Meeting Minutes
- Task Lists

6.5 Preventive actions taken shall be reviewed to determine effectivity. This may be demonstrated by, but not limited to:

- Examination of objective evidence & records
- Monitoring of processes
- Ongoing meeting minutes and/or task lists
BubbaDog,

I suggest you adapt your CAR form to work as a PAR form to define the problem to be solved, record the root causes and verify their removal from your system. Better than scattering your records far and wide.

PARs coming out of management reviews can be a lot more effective than minutes of meeting. Likewise with the setting of new quality objectives so your system is changed to be assured they will be fulfilled.

John
Thank You to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 29th July 2014, 02:19 PM
BubbaDog56

Total Posts: 37
Re: Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure

John,
One of the reasons this is being written is that we are splitting our current CAPA procedure into two independent procedures. In our existing environment, they function as two completely different animals. The CA side is more cut and dried, with a electronic form-based system working well. The PA side is all based on existing business processes, not things that lend themselves to a one-size fits all form. It may not be perfect, and may change in the future, but I need to write a procedure that reflects what we do today.
  Post Number #4  
Old 29th July 2014, 02:38 PM
John Broomfield

Lightbulb Re: Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure

Quote:

John,
One of the reasons this is being written is that we are splitting our current CAPA procedure into two independent procedures. In our existing environment, they function as two completely different animals. The CA side is more cut and dried, with a electronic form-based system working well. The PA side is all based on existing business processes, not things that lend themselves to a one-size fits all form. It may not be perfect, and may change in the future, but I need to write a procedure that reflects what we do today.
BubbaDog,

Agreed, I am not recommending use of the CAR procedure.

But you may want to adapt the form to work as a PAR where and when needed.

The two processss are separate anyway and it is good for your documented PA procedure to reflect what actually happens. But it probably will not capture all of the preventive actions delivered by your process-based management system.

For it to do so would be repetitive.

John
  Post Number #5  
Old 30th July 2014, 02:58 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,290

Quote:

................., not things that lend themselves to a one-size fits all form. ..............
I can see where you are coming from. Many of our PAs are carried out as 'projects'. We issued our standard PA form (modified from CA form as John mentioned) to enable the project to start and upon satisfactory completion of the project, attached the project report and enter it into the relevant section of the form to close the PA.
  Post Number #6  
Old 30th July 2014, 12:48 PM
insect warfare

Total Posts: 538

Quote:

John,
I remember a while back being advised to split up our combined procedure. In our case it was a good thing, because it let us see how different the preventive action process really was from the corrective action process, even though there are similar characteristics shared in both processes. While others may prefer to combine theirs in the same document, I personally found it easier to digest as a separate procedure.

I have attached a sample procedure that I came up with that may be what you're looking for. The table on page 2 will be of great importance as it allows you to list your preventive action activities (inputs and outputs). The registrar auditor we used saw this as a vast improvement over our previous iteration, and does not require us to resort to a "PA form" methodology. Let me know if this is up your alley....

Brian
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc SAMPLE PREVENTIVE ACTION PROCEDURE.doc (42.0 KB, 264 views)
Thank You to insect warfare for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 30th July 2014, 02:13 PM
PaulJSmith

Total Posts: 563

We have separate procedures written for CA and PA, but we use the same form for both, with a simple check box to note which one. For us, the processes are not so different, except in how they begin.
  Post Number #8  
Old 30th July 2014, 02:29 PM
John Broomfield

Yin Yang Re: Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by insect warfare View Post

I remember a while back being advised to split up our combined procedure. In our case it was a good thing, because it let us see how different the preventive action process really was from the corrective action process, even though there are similar characteristics shared in both processes. While others may prefer to combine theirs in the same document, I personally found it easier to digest as a separate procedure.

I have attached a sample procedure that I came up with that may be what you're looking for. The table on page 2 will be of great importance as it allows you to list your preventive action activities (inputs and outputs). The registrar auditor we used saw this as a vast improvement over our previous iteration, and does not require us to resort to a "PA form" methodology. Let me know if this is up your alley....

Brian
Brian,

I like it even though it is text but it is just one page. I particularly value the table. This reminds users that most of the preventive action is coming from everyone using and improving their organization's process-based management system.

The PAR form remains useful for managing preventive action projects, driven by the desire for change and not specifically covered by the management system.

After all, unless the system is changed, a new objective may not be fulfilled.

John

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >