The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Continual Improvement - What is CI and what is CI not?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Continual Improvement - What is CI and what is CI not? - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 4th June 2004, 10:47 AM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,986
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Rob Nix

Instead of it being an entity of its own in an organization, e.g. having its own procedure or "process" or other such thing, it should be an evident and intrinsic part of the management environment. A chief goal of top management should be that no process in the organization ever stagnate. Everything must get better over time.
That's exactly what we do!

We do not have a procedure or "process", per se, for CI. It is a concept or, the word used here, methodology for ensuring we never accept the status quo as being our best.

We have established tools in place to help us sustain our CI initiatives. Some of the tools focus on the Routine...but this provides us with a solid foundation to build upon. Other tools are dedicated to CI.

Over the past few years, we started to notice that our gains were getting smaller and smaller...i.e., it was becoming more difficult to improve. Introducing some new CI tools into our "toolbox" has allowed to identify areas we never thought of before and the movement upward has increased.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 4th June 2004, 11:24 AM
The Taz!

Total Posts: 499
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCBeyette

That's exactly what we do!
Gosh I hate over-achievers! LOL
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 4th June 2004, 11:38 AM
RoxaneB

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by The Taz!

Gosh I hate over-achievers! LOL
Tsk tsk!...when will you admit that you strive to be like me???
  Post Number #12  
Old 4th June 2004, 11:40 AM
The Taz!

Quote:

Tsk tsk!...when will you admit that you strive to be like me???
NOT!!! You don't do sideburns. . . I don't do skirts!
  Post Number #13  
Old 4th June 2004, 12:52 PM
jaimezepeda

Total Posts: 268
Quote:

Over the past few years, we started to notice that our gains were getting smaller and smaller...i.e., it was becoming more difficult to improve. Introducing some new CI tools into our "toolbox" has allowed to identify areas we never thought of before and the movement upward has increased.
Will CI reach the point where the improvements made are so negligible that it may not be worth the effort to introduce any improvements?

Jaime
  Post Number #14  
Old 4th June 2004, 12:56 PM
The Taz!

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jaimezepeda

Will CI reach the point where the improvements made are so negligible that it may not be worth the effort to introduce any improvements? Jaime
Absolutely when it comes to the Law Of Diminishing Returns. Makes no sense spending $10,000 in capital to yield a $100 net gain..

There will need to be other types of improvements beyond manufacturing. Utilize Pareto's Law (80-20 rule), and when you get so good, 1) get rid of the 80% of your customers that yield 20% of your profit. . . 2) get rid of the 20% of the customers that cause 80% of your excess costs. . .3) Replace them with customers like the ones that are left. . . 20% who yield 80% of your profit.

Last edited by The Taz!; 4th June 2004 at 01:00 PM.
  Post Number #15  
Old 4th June 2004, 01:14 PM
Jim Howe

Total Posts: 412
Quote:

Will CI reach the point where the improvements made are so negligible that it may not be worth the effort to introduce any improvements?

Jaime
Good question Jamie, when ever I see a question like this I am reminded of my early days in electronics. As a capacitor charges to its rated voltage it follows a "natural growth curve". In the beginning the charge up is very rapid but as it nears the max it slows considerably.
If you ace your state final (all answers 100% correct) can you improve? Or do you move on? My math professor always stated " ...you can never approach infinity to do so would mean it was not infinite..." "...on the other hand a finite value can become infinitly large...". My personal feeling is that you are correct but I am not sure what you do when that happens.
Jim
  Post Number #16  
Old 4th June 2004, 01:14 PM
RoxaneB

Quote:

Jaime
Part of me agree's with my fuzzy companion's comments on diminishing returns, but the other part says that will only hold true if industry does not continue to evolve.

If the benchmark never changes, Jaime, then, yes, eventually CI would become negligible. But that's why the benchmarks in our industries are the benchmarks...they don't accept their current level of performance as being the best they can do. New technologies come into play. New people with fresh ideas of thinking and doing. The bar is always raised and there will always be areas for fantastic gains!

Don't get me wrong, though, there are some areas in my organization were CI is possible, but the analysis shows it not to be feasible at this time...especially when compared to other areas where the Return on Investment is huge! We decide where to improve and how and when and why....but the point is we never stop improving.

Okay...putting down the pompoms and picking up my lightsabre again...

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >