Post-Interview Decision Making

A

apocalypse_pp

Hi,

I am a recent graduate and was interviewed for a position of Analyst at a small firm (50 employees, but planning to double its workforce). Four candidates were interviewed on the same day, and two of us happened to be from the same graduating class of the same university.

We were informed that the decision on our interview would be communicated to us within two weeks. However, the other candidate was offered a position on the very next day of the interview, whereas a decision on my candidacy has not yet been communicated to me.

Does such an incident indicate a negative work ethic of the company? Or is it that they are seriously reviewing my candidacy in terms of background check and will communicate once they have the relevant information?

The only thing I cannot understand is the delay in communicating a decision on my candidacy given the fact that the other candidate's decision has already been made. I still have a week's time with me according to the time frame given by the company to expect a decision on my candidacy.

Thanks for all your help

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello there! And welcome to the Cove!

How do you know the other candidate was offered the position? Are you sure this is accurate? It is possible that the candidate offered the job was the "ideal" candidate, and they were for sure wanting to hire them. That does not at all mean you are not smart or valuable; just that they saw something they think is more valuable that the other candidates may not have.

If I were in your shoes, I would most definitely be in a dilemma. However, just because I am a "live by the rules" kind of guy, I would wait until the two weeks were up. That's an opinion thing; some others may offer you better (and wiser) advise.

I would most definitely be interviewing with other firms. If this company has less-than-professional recruiting/interviewing/hiring practices, there may be better companies to work for.

A

apocalypse_pp

The other candidate also happens to be a good friend of mine, as we happen to be from the same graduating class of the same university. He told me about the decision of the company to hire him.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I hope this don't hurt your feelings.. but would you say your friend is significantly more qualified than you are, or are you both pretty close? Does your friend have previous work experience in the industry? Does your friend's dad have a friend that works there ? :notme:

I know it's so tough getting out of school and starting your career, so I do empathize.

Please, by all means, go to the career corner here on the Cove and read the threads on interviewing, following up, job search, etc. They are pretty authoritative, with lots of different perspectives on them.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Choosing a potential employee is like choosing a wife. The best is usually not chosen but the most suitable does.

Then there is this thing call 'Chemistry' - which explains why some beautiful girls end up with a geek/nerd (in others view). And yes, looking for a job can be stressful but it is lesson 1 for most graduates stepping into the world of reality.

I don't think your potential employer had bad ethics. They have a right to make a decision as soon as they come across one suitable candidate. You could be the second choice - and if the first turn down the offer, then it goes to you. You also mentioned that they may double their work force. They could be expecting a decision soon and since you are the second choice, they will inform you later or as soon as the picture becomes clear.

As Brad mentioned, our career corner has some pretty good stuff. If you are in luck, someone here may not mind serving as your adviser/mentor!
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9325
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=10169

Cheer up!

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
The only thing I cannot understand is the delay in communicating a decision on my candidacy given the fact that the other candidate's decision has already been made. I still have a week's time with me according to the time frame given by the company to expect a decision on my candidacy. Thanks for all your help

Apocalypse,

I echo the thoughts mentioned by my cove members. Selecting and then giving a "Letter of Offer" to the employee is done after consideration of many things. In your case, may be, they are reviewing some other candidates from another source like head hunters, second set of interviews (since you mentioned that 4 candidates were interviewed on the same day) etc.

Have patience :)

Randy

Super Moderator
A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

I'd be looking at other things because as of now you are not the 1st choice. If they want you they want you and the 2 weeks is nothing more than a method of prolonging agony and showing that "they studied you very carefully" Baloney.

Welcome to the world of reality as opposed to academia.

Good luck

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
You didn't mention a few pertinent facts.
  1. Were you and classmate up for same job or same department?
  2. How many total jobs are open?
  3. How many of those were you being considered for?
  4. How many was the classmate being considered for?
  5. How many different decision makers about jobs at the company?
  6. Same decision makers for you and classmate?
One of the things we talk about frequently in the quality profession is "individual variation." Individual variation certainly holds true for human beings on both sides of the employer/employee equation. I don't presume to know the differences between you and classmate to account for him getting an "instant" answer, but, obviously, the differences meant something to a decision maker at the company where you interviewed.

Now for the advice:
Do not refer to your classmate in any way when you contact the company again.

If you haven't done so already, write or call the person or persons who interviewed you and thank him/her/them again for the time and courtesy shown you. Then ask if there is anything more they need to know to help them make a hiring decision. This is a good time to tell them how much you were impressed by . . . Close by reaffirming your interest in the job under consideration and your hope you will get a favorable answer soon.

A

apocalypse_pp

I guess there were multiple job openings, but we were being interviewed for the same position in the same department, as that department happens to be the bread and butter of the company and they are looking forward to expand it. We had the same decision makers as the interview panel was the same for all of us, its just that they interviewed us at different times in the smae day.

I had already sent them thank-you letters within 24 hrs of my interview, so am just waiting for their decision.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Thank you for following up and sending us the note. Please do, drop a note back to us and let us know how your job search is going. Good luck!!

Top Bottom