SAE-AS8879 Threaded Hole Gaging - .4375UNF-3B and .4375-UNJF-3B

E

exithere

Question on thread gaging. Can a .4375UNF-3B and a .4375-UNJF-3B be used to check a hole threaded to AS8879??

Last edited by a moderator:
E

exithere

Re: SAE-AS8879 Threaded Hole Gaging - A 7/16-20UNF-3B

.4375UNF-3B versus .4375-UNJF-3B. Sorry, still looking for first coffee

E

exithere

The best I am able to recall/interpret is that threading to AS8879, the major difference is to external threads with the modified root radius. With internal threads, as long as there is not a modification to the call out on the print, the acceptance characteristics of a .4375-20UNF-3B and a .4375-20UNJF-3B plug gage are the same. Am looking for confirmation I hope.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
The best I am able to recall/interpret is that threading to AS8879, the major difference is to external threads with the modified root radius. With internal threads, as long as there is not a modification to the call out on the print, the acceptance characteristics of a .4375-20UNF-3B and a .4375-20UNJF-3B plug gage are the same. Am looking for confirmation I hope.

A few of our Members are thread gaging experts. Because of the Holidays, a response may be delayed. Be patient with us.

Stijloor.

A

aduck

hi, wanted to see if you ever found the answer to the question? we have call out of .375-24 UNJF-3B with AS8879. Was wondering the same thing you were?

A

aduck

I usually purchase from Thread Tech, Inc. Make sure you specify the "J" version.

I am not affliated with them.

Our source that does some of our calibration, told us to be careful who we buy the gages off of. He has had to reject brand new gages. How are the gages you bought from Thread Tech? Our source is not familar with them.

Top Bottom