What is the difference between ISO 9001:2000 and TS16949?

B

bluejay04

I have been contacted by a company that wants either Ts or ISO9000/2000I guess what I wnt to know is there any big difference between the two?

T

Teri - 2011

Re: ISO9000/2000 or TS16949

I have been contacted by a company that wants either Ts or ISO9000/2000I guess what I wnt to know is there any big difference between the two?

Without going into all the specifics of the difference, TS includes all of ISO 9000/2000 + additional requirements. So, if they are giving you a choice,,, I would go with ISO 9000/2000.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: ISO9000/2000 or TS16949

TS 16949 is an automotive standard, the replacement for QS9000. You're only supposed to register for TS if you supply to automotive customers, or are an upstream supplier for someone who makes automotive products.

It is based on ISO 9000, but adds special requirements that automotive has asked for. Some of the requirements are prescriptive. This thread compares the systems' requirements side by side.

D

D.Scott

Re: ISO 9000:2000 or TS16949

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean you were contacted by a company? Are you a consultant?

Dave

D

David DeLong

TS 16949 is just ISO 9000 with an attitude.:biglaugh:

In reality, the requirement is about 30% more difficult than the ISO requirement and is more restrictive. There is a bit of the "automotive game" applied such as R & R studies to process and not specification, heavier on SPC ,etc.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I have been contacted by a company that wants either Ts or ISO9000/2000 I guess what I want to know is there any big difference between the two?

Hi Bluejay,

The answer is very simple. Do you have (or have access to) the ISO/TS 16949:2002 Technical Specification? The document contains both ISO 9001:2000 and the automotive requirements. The ISO 9001:2000 requirements are printed in a box. The text outside the box are automotive additions.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On
Some customers have additional requirements to the TS standard. For example, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Timken, Delphi, Visteon all have 'extra' things they want their supplier to do, when conforming to TS. If your customer is one of these, or, indeed, is a supplier themselves they may pass these extra OEM requirements to you, too.

This makes TS more specific (and in some cases more exacting) over ISO 9001:2000, too.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Some customers have additional requirements to the TS standard. For example, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Timken, Delphi, Visteon all have 'extra' things they want their supplier to do, when conforming to TS. If your customer is one of these, or, indeed, is a supplier themselves they may pass these extra OEM requirements to you, too.

This makes TS more specific (and in some cases more exacting) over ISO 9001:2000, too.

Hi Andy,

Excellent points! Very true!

Stijloor.

L

LAKMAN

TS -technical specification based QS9000 for automotive sector. It includes ISO 9001:2000 standards requirements. In addition Ts standards are also to be met for TS certification.

Top Bottom