Definition Fit, form, and function - Origin and defintion of fit, form, and function

V

vanputten

Hello:

Does anyone know the origin / history of the phrase "fit, form and function?"

Also, what are the definitions of each term?

Thank you, Dirk

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
vanputten said:
Hello:

Does anyone know the origin / history of the phrase "fit, form and function?"

Also, what are the definitions of each term?

Thank you, Dirk
I believe it is from military configuration control.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
From MIL-STD-973, CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT
3.45 Fit. The ability of an item to physically interface or interconnect with or become an integral part of another item.

3.46 Form. The shape, size, dimensions, mass, weight, and other visual parameters which uniquely characterize an item. For software, form denotes the language and media.

3.47 Function. The action or actions which an item is designed to perform.

R

ralphsulser

Good job Al, I have heard of this and used the phrase, but never saw the actual source. :applause:

V

vanputten

Wow!

Hello Al:

Aren't you a wealth of knowledge?!?! Thank you very much. This is great. Just what I needed.

Thank you,

Dirk

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
vanputten said:
Hello Al:

Aren't you a wealth of knowledge?!?! Thank you very much. This is great. Just what I needed.

Thank you,

Dirk

Good ol' Al:agree1: .

It should be noted thought that the MIL standard quoted is certainly not the origin of the three "F's," and that will probably have to remain a mystery, although it's a good bet that the origin was military.

Also, the definition given for "form"
The shape, size, dimensions, mass, weight, and other visual parameters which uniquely characterize an item.
is confused and imprecise; "weight" and "mass" aren't "visual parameters," and the word "uniquely" is misplaced. It's possible for an object to have identical "form" characteristics, but different functions and different fit requirements. My American Heritage Dictionary gives a simpler and more accurate definition for this context: The shape and structure of an object.

Q

quality.shesha

Al & Jim,

thanx for the info.

you really are, a wealth of info>>>>>>>>>

shesha

I

Invicta

Superb! :applause:

We use this term daily so it's nice to find out where it comes from.

Bernard

D

ddunn

Way back when I worked for the Defense Logistic Agency (1979) we were told we could no longer use the term "Form, Fit and Function" as it was too ambiguous. We had to use the phrase “Interchangeable as defined by MIL-STD-280A” .

from MIL-STD-280A
Interchangeable item .- One, which (1) possesses such functional and physical characteristics as to be equivalent in performance, reliability, and maintainability, to another item of similar or Identical purpose; and (2) is capable of being exchanged for the other item (a) without selection for fit or performance, and (b) without alteration of the items themselves or of adjoining items, except for normal adjustment.

Top Bottom