Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting

S

Sigvarr

Hello all,

I have come to a point in my current job where I just can't understand my companies choices I need some advice. My Corporate Quality Manager was supposed to have a management review meeting 2 months ago per agreement with registrar. I have been bugging him about doing it as I am the Quality Manager for this company. He is in charge of a few other companies owned by the same owner. I finally got a response to when it will take place, but the response has really taken its toll on me. I am considering changing my occupation because of this company.

I have basically rewritten every document the company had and have implemented many many more. Though there are several procedures in limbo as he has never responded to my review requests. I do not get the proper upper management backing, half the time I don't get treated like other managers. While I know that it is always a struggle for a new manager in a new company, I have been here a year and two months.

Basically the corporate Quality Manager is not allowing me to participate in the management review meeting that will be taking place on the 9th. He has not held a single meeting with me since I started, nothing about projects or a task lists. Basically I have done everything myself which is fine it's what I expected when I interviewed as a QA Manager. I doubt he has even read some of the documents I sent for him to "approve".

He asked me in this email to send all projects I'm working on to him. After the meeting he will give me the results of it and consider any project not discussed canceled..... I have literally been dumb founded for a week by this response.

This is the 3rd company that I have been a manager for and successfully implemented a QMS. When I was brought on with this company I was told that since they do not have anyone experienced enough to move them forward on obtaining the ISO certification that I would have the ability to create what I wanted. I later found out that their Corporate Quality Manager works in VA the branch he was in charge of went under but they kept him on to help instruct in the technical side of their business. Well I am in TX needless to say that I rarely talk to him, he understandably has more knowledge about fasteners. He has 10 years on me with this company. When it comes to the QMS I have done everything to get it to its current state, it's what I was hired to do.

Any ideas, kind words of support, or suggestions on what I should do...

On a phone I apologise for any mistakes...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Mngmnt Review Meeting

Welcome to the cove. You are definitely not in a good position and should seriously consider whether you want to stay with this company. It sounds like the director may be feeling threatened by your accomplishments.

You will get a lot of advice on this topic, and I recommend that you do a search on the cove contents. Unfortunately, there are a lot of past threads discussing very similar situations.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Basically the corporate Quality Manager is not allowing me to participate in the management review meeting that will be taking place on the 9th.

Consider yourself lucky. :)

If you are the QM for the specific company in TX, what does he have to do with it anyway? Why is he "approving" anything. Doesn't sound like he gave you any accountability requirements. Heck, why would he be required to do a management review? He knows nothing about the business. Seems to me you would be "management" at that location. What does the President/GM of the location think? I wouldn't sweat it. Set your goals and go about them. If he doesn't like it, you'll be gone and able to look for another job. If he does like it (or doesn't really care) he's left you alone and you have done what you want.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource

Both [Miner] and [Golfman25] have valid points.

It is highly frustrating when the guys at the top don't include you in their planning communications, but what tells the tale is if they keep you and rely on you for your contributions.

If they do, just cash your check and think about whether or not you want to continue with that organization.

If they don't, well, just cash your check and become a free agent looking for a team that needs your help. More than one team out there wishes they had somebody like you right now.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I have basically rewritten every document the company had and have implemented many many more. Though there are several procedures in limbo as he has never responded to my review requests. ....SNIP....I doubt he has even read some of the documents I sent for him to "approve".

He asked me in this email to send all projects I'm working on to him. After the meeting he will give me the results of it and consider any project not discussed canceled..... I have literally been dumb founded for a week by this response.

Any ideas, kind words of support, or suggestions on what I should do...
You have focused on document development and revision in your post. In my opinion, if you really want to show your worth as a quality manager, forget this type of indicator. Focus instead on data that shows how you have reengineered business processes, how your improvement drives led to better product yields, how you have been instrumental in decreasing customer complaints and product returns; how, under your guidance, customer satisfaction has improved. Correlation of tangible performance improvement and your work should catch their attention. Developing and "implementing" procedures is deemed, for the most part, a mundane task that doesn't get recognition by the executives.

If, after showing factual data that clearly demonstrates your worth as a quality manager, they don't give you the respect and recognition, it is a clear sign that your frustration in this job will be much larger than the benefits associated with the employment.

Good luck

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Pardon me please if I sound different... But I feel you are not mapping the existing process to the standard. (I assume its the ISO 9001)
Management review needs no meetings.
Have you considered discarding any document ?
My feeling is that you are too much engrossed into the standard rather than to the business and people and its dynamics. Can you consider taking a fresh look.
Best wishes.....

Last edited:

Ettore

Quite Involved in Discussions

I went through a similar situation.
You're lucky, you can take the opportunity to grow from this terrible experience.
Some suggestions:
If you're not a mafia support ......
Change at the earliest company, another place is another world.
does not think you can be right on your Manager! You will avoid getting sick.
In the new company if you're smart and you love your job only owners or others like you will realize this and will be able to help, others as your boss ....., never mind, but how did he get up there an idiot like that? (your boss). In any case the company is not yours.
Engaged in the associations to become increasingly expert in your work and in relationships
If you can afford it, a good analyst could help each person to grow.
Good luck.

S

Sigvarr

Sidney Vianna, your right I did post about procedures here. The thing is that the company didn't have procedures that covered 2008 requirements I fixed those and then finished off what they didn't have. Which I am still waiting for the 'approval' of the corporate QC manager.

What I didn't post about is my research into PED that I did because no one understood it. It is a tool that can benefit them and I lined out the whole process of starting it up with forms and work instructions. I never got a response on if we where going to move forward with it. I also have experience with APQP which would also benefit the CNC shop and sales. It's something they looked into in the past but had no one to drive it. So I set up work instructions and forms for the process only to have no idea what is going on with that project as well. I have written analysis on their customer care, returns to help them with setting reasonable goals. If I cannot be in the meeting how can I drive the fact that we do not have KPIs. That there is literally no upper management involvement in this system? I reviewed their most recent management review meeting, their minutes are minimal. They do not go over some key requirements, which I wanted to cover in this meeting. How do I cover that with top management if they don't want to hear from me?

If I can't get department leads to complete their corrective actions and I don't have upper management backing me how do I make progress? I am still young only have 10 years into quality yes I still have room to learn. Having everyone except for the quality Manager attend the quality meeting looks bad, looks very unsupportive. At least to me.

What I am frustrated about is the fact that I feel like they just want what will get them by. I feel like they keep things from me or do not address problems I bring up because they want the bare minimum. Which is fine, it's their company like you said but that's not how I work and I hate the feeling of not being backed. I probably would have already left if I didn't have my family to think about, the fact that my wife hasn't worked in 2 years and the crappy market.

S

Sigvarr

... never mind, but how did he get up there an idiot like that? (your boss). In any case the company is not yours.

I get what your saying, no the company is not mine...

As for my boss, he is a smart guy he is just close to retirement and isn't up to speed on current QA functions, he has a lot of technical knowledge about the product they make. I think I miss spoke earlier he is actually 25-30 years invested in this corporation. I helped them obtain their first ISO certification though.

S

Sigvarr

Pardon me please if I sound different... But I feel you are not mapping the existing process to the standard. (I assume its the ISO 9001)
Management review needs no meetings.
Have you considered discarding any document ?
My feeling is that you are too much engrossed into the standard rather than to the business and people and its dynamics. Can you consider taking a fresh look.
Best wishes.....

Honestly I haven't gotten that close yet I have finished setting up the basics and the documents that I am still waiting on responses for are the ones that tie what they do into the system.

I don't quite follow what you mean about no management meetings?

Top Bottom