ISO 90003 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 to computer software

C

clarkjason

Hi All,

We are a software development company that has created another company specificly to develop one single product.

We feel that given the fact that this one company has one product and intially 3 members of staff its an excellent starting place for ISO. ( Trying to keep things simple )

We where orignally looking at ISO 9001 but am thinking ISO 9003 might be better.

Four questions I have.

1. Do you have to do ( Or is it better to do ) ISO9001 before ISO 9003?
2. How different are the two?
3. Where do I start?
4. Is there any other ISO standards that relate to a specific product?

Many thanks,
jason

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Iso 90003

Good morning, Jason and welcome to the Elsmar Cove!

Well, to help you out, ISO 9003 is dead and buried and has been since 2000!

All organizations registering their quality systems are now registering to ISO 9001, they can exclude certain requirements, like design, if not responsible, but in a software company that wouldn't be prudent (or allowed, most likely)

Do you have a copy of ISO 9001:2008?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Good morning, Jason and welcome to the Elsmar Cove!

Well, to help you out, ISO 9003 is dead and buried and has been since 2000!

All organizations registering their quality systems are now registering to ISO 9001, they can exclude certain requirements, like design, if not responsible, but in a software company that wouldn't be prudent (or allowed, most likely)

Do you have a copy of ISO 9001:2008?

Andy,

I believe that the OP is referring to ISO/IEC 90003:2004. I brought this up because the OP represents a software company and the thread title references ISO 90003.

You are correct that ISO 9003 is withdrawn.

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi All,

We are a software development company that has created another company specificly to develop one single product.

We feel that given the fact that this one company has one product and intially 3 members of staff its an excellent starting place for ISO. ( Trying to keep things simple )

We where orignally looking at ISO 9001 but am thinking ISO 9003 might be better.

Four questions I have.

1. Do you have to do ( Or is it better to do ) ISO9001 before ISO 9003?
2. How different are the two?
3. Where do I start?
4. Is there any other ISO standards that relate to a specific product?

Many thanks,
jason

Jason,

Just for clarification purposes, are you referring to ISO/IEC 90003:2004?

Stijloor.

AndyN

Moved On

Andy,

I believe that the OP is referring to ISO/IEC 90003:2004. I brought this up because the OP represents a software company and the thread title references ISO 90003.

You are correct that ISO 9003 is withdrawn.

Stijloor.

I was thinking the same thing, Jan, thanks. ISO 9003 is dead, ISO 90003 lives.

ISO 90003 of itself is not a bad guide, but it is just that, a guide. No one can be registered to it, Jason, so it's not a case of 'doing' ISO 90003 after ISO 9001! You can set out your software qms to ISO 90003 guidelines and then get registered to ISO 9001:2008.

C

clarkjason

Sorry all, that was a typo - I meant to say 90003 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

sorry all, thats was a typo - mean to say 90003 :)

OK. No problem.

Keep in mind that ISO/IEC 90003:2004 is a guidance standard for your industry for the implementation of ISO 9001. You can not be registered to a guidance standard; only (in your case) to ISO 9001. I would purchase both documents to start with; study them and take it from there. We're here to help and answer any questions that you may have.

Stijloor.

C

clarkjason

You can set out your software qms to ISO 90003 guidelines and then get registered to ISO 9001:2008.

Hi, Sorry I might have missed something, Could to elaborate on the above? ( spell it out for a newbie like myself )

J

AndyN

Moved On

Hi, Sorry I might have missed something, Could to elaborate on the above? ( spell it out for a newbie like myself )

J

Jason:

Let me see if I can help. ISO 9001 is a set of requirements that an organization chooses to comply with, for certain reasons:

a) Customers are seeking assurance of a system to support the quality of products they buy, and/or
b) Organizations want to get 'certified' etc. and/or
c) Certain markets and product regulations are best met by implementing a quality system which meets ISO 9001

etc.

As written, ISO 9001 is a 'one-size-fits-all' document and there's no interpretation of the requirements for industry sectors. That's where guidance documents, like ISO 90003 come in.

They are used to help organizations in specific sectors - software, in the case of ISO 90003 - design and implement a systematic approach to managing their business processes. It guides you through the requirements. One example which would need such guidance would be section 8.3 of ISO 9001 'Control of non-conforming product'. This requirement needs specific interpretive guidance for software businesses, who don't 'manufacture' software - in the conventional sense of the word. So, how would you control the source code in the event of some software testing failure, which is what ISO 9001 asks you. ISO 90003 gives that guidance.

I hope this helps. Let us know if there's anything else you need to know.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: ISO 90003 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2000 to computer software

Back in the 90's, a certification scheme was devised in the UK for organizations dealing with software development. The scheme was designated as the TickIT Scheme. For more information, visit http://www.tickit.org/.
TickIT.gif

Top Bottom