College FOOTBALL - 2010

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
OK folks, I know some will say that this is way-y-y-y too early.

However, those who are college football fanatics do not understand the concept of "off season" unless it is the definition of your team(s) having a less than shining year, hence the thread.

Time to discuss predictions, picks, rosters for the upcoming fall, all of it!

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Re: College FOOTBALL 2010

First, What do you think about Pete leaving the Trojans susposedly to go to the NFL? USC is in a rebuilding year and I suspect will have a fair season this year, but I doubt will run the PAC-10.

Then the now former head coach of Tennessee leaving, and according to the Orange fans that I have heard, slinking away in the middle of the night to go to USC. He only had one year in the SEC and did not do very well, but first year as a SEC head coach is rarely a screaming success. There are exceptions of course.

Notre Dame now has a coach also. I truly hope they have a decent year. It pains me to see a great football power house like Notre Dame reduced to a 2nd rate team.

Now, for the SEC...the West looks - right now - like it will be Alabama or Auburn. The East, I predict will be either Florida or Georgia. Florida is also in rebuilding year and has some uncertainty with the head coach position, but is still a powerhouse. Georgia may have a few issues, but when they get on the field they are serious and play serious football. After the thumping they gave Texas A&M they have to be considered as the odds-on favorite for the East.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

OK, guys, time to start SERIOUS trash talking!

Tennessee: This year is rebuilding after the coach left. BUT, Fall 2011 they will be scary! The new Head Coach is no less than the son of Vince Dooley himself! He came from LA Tech, and last year they gave good shows against LSU, Fresno State, Hawaii, Navy, Boise State, among others. Tennessee is East, so both Georgia and Florida will have their hands full.

South Carolina: IF they have the same or better defense, will be spoilers and as such a major force in the East.

Georgia: They may well be the dominant force in the East, unless Florida is 100% ready.

Florida: Appears to be rebuilding, but we will see.

Alabama: Just saw the Spring Game. Fast and powerful defense, good offense.

Now, what about others?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

OK, time to PONY UP..........................

A revisit from earlier...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

You know, there were other teams too.

Why are we and they not talking trash? That is a time honored tradition.

Now I admit, for me I support the Gators (I was born in south Florida) and the Tide...

Think you can measure up?

M

mguilbert

I really dont have a dog in the fight being from Mass (BC, Harvard, UMass (no power houses here)). Most people follow the pros. But currently living in 'Bama country I guess I am for 'Bama. I have a funny though, recently we traveled into Gainesville this spring with our Alabama tags. But that not the worst of it, my wife is 'noles fan. I tried to buy her some Gator Gear but she didn't want anything to with it.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

I don't know about that, BC sometimes plays really well.

That your wife is a 'Nole I understand. My son was born a 'Nole, much as I was born a Gator as we are both Natives of Florida, and both grew up in rural Alabama and so both adopted the Tide.

Now, for you, depends on where in the state you are as to which one you may want to adopt. Remember there are many areas where the Tigers (Auburn) is the dominant team for fans. They are good, and will cause a lots of stress in the SEC West this year. I believe they will be beat by Alabama, but could otherwise go unbeaten in the West.

Of course, the folks at 'Ol Miss and LSU will have something to say about that I am sure. Still, Auburn may give the DAWGS fits this year too. What do you think Craig?

Mguilbert, the best thing to do is learn the teams and which half of the conference they are. Then go to a SEC game. Which game really does not matter, so long as both teams are SEC, as you will see why football is considered a religion in the South. It is - BARELY - less important than good biscuits.

It has also been claimed that hunting, fishing, and NASCAR are just as important as college football, but folks go hunting before dawn on Saturday so they are back in time for football; fishing is generally done in spring and summer because there is no football, and NASCAR often runs on Sunday so to not interfere with football. That Church is on Sunday is not because of football, but does work well in that regard.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Nobody is talking trash, so let me bring up another part of this to get the discussion going.

Legends. I mean true legends in college football. Coaches and players.

I think of the likes of Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, and Vince Dooley. I think of players like Kenny "The Snake" Stabler and Joe Namath, both played for Alabama.

Who do you think of for legends in college football?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Obviously someone has to pony up.....

Done.....can you handle it? or will you wimp out?\

Let's see.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom