EASA STC Certification of WiFi Router on Board

F

flyonwing

Just found this usesful communication platform. I have a certification topic enquiry. Would anybody can help me out here, thank so much in advance.

The case senario is add a WiFi Router (subsystem of SATCOM System) for providing wireless internet access on board to a B767 Private category aircraft. But this modification will apply for EASA STC as certification basis.

Question 1:
There is dozens of WiFi router provider. Does such WiFi router is TSO part or not? If not, what document will be supplied from manufacture to necessity the EASA certification?

Question 2:
When we justify the WiFi system will not interference with the aircraft required system, we will do the (ground and flight) EMI testing of WiFi System. How to set up the WiFi system testing? Use How many Laptop to simulate the interact of system function? Does other certification test is also required for WiFi system Instl?

Thanks again for sharing EASA WiFi certification policy...

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Just found this usesful communication platform. I have a certification topic enquiry. Would anybody can help me out here, thank so much in advance.

The case senario is add a WiFi Router (subsystem of SATCOM System) for providing wireless internet access on board to a B767 Private category aircraft. But this modification will apply for EASA STC as certification basis.

Question 1:
There is dozens of WiFi router provider. Does such WiFi router is TSO part or not? If not, what document will be supplied from manufacture to necessity the EASA certification?

Question 2:
When we justify the WiFi system will not interference with the aircraft required system, we will do the (ground and flight) EMI testing of WiFi System. How to set up the WiFi system testing? Use How many Laptop to simulate the interact of system function? Does other certification test is also required for WiFi system Instl?

Can someone with aircraft communications systems expertise help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Question 1:

Question 2:

It's best to go to the primary source for regulatory information. There probably isn't a TSO for WIFI Routers and you'll need to show through testing that you don't interfere with the aircraft instruments. The Standard is RTCA DO-160. Check the EASA TSO site to confirm that there isn't a TSO. You will have test the entire system as part of the STC. You need to speak to the EASA authorities and not rely on the internet for the information. FWIW this is my opinion.

Top Bottom