Aspect Impact Analysis & Risk Assessment Technique

A

ashishmaggo08

Dear All,

I want to know something in the subject regard, my company is ISO14001 and OHSAS. We have conducted the aspect impect and risk anaylsis relavent to the standards. Now i want to know like which evluation method i should use to calculate the total numbers for seviraty and probibility. Whether i should add them or multiply them. Please let me the refernce or some sample technique. I already check the standards for risk aasessment (ISO 31001 and 31010) but its not clear to me after reading thoses standards. It is really very healpful if you can add some risk eveluation matrix in the post.

Please also suggest me the refernce for the techinque so that i can read those reference also.

Your prompt reply on this regard shall be appriciated.

Thanks

Ashish Maggo

S

samsung

Re: Aspect Impect Analysis & Risk Assessment Technique

Here you go for samples of Env. aspect and Impact evaluation sheets. Aspect Impact (EMS) and Hazard Risk (OHSAS) both are different things and you should evaluate them separately with different perspectives. As far as Environment matters, IMO, you shouldn't consider 'probability' but the 'severity' and consequence (not 'risk). The aspect is not likely but 'certain' if an activity takes place. But in case of OHS, you actually determine the 'Risk' of a particular hazard and a 'Risk' may not be certain and hence you can determine the probability/ likelihood of any particular hazard that can pose a risk to OHS.

A

ashishmaggo08

Thanks for your comments but my concern is to evaluate the risk and environment analysis calculation. I want to know which matrix / technique i should use. I read in the standard that i can use the quantative or semi quantative but how that's what i want to know. if you any sample for the same so kindly share with me.

Thanks
Ashish Maggo

S

samsung

Thanks for your comments but my concern is to evaluate the risk and environment analysis calculation. I want to know which matrix / technique i should use. I read in the standard that i can use the quantative or semi quantative but how that's what i want to know. if you any sample for the same so kindly share with me.

Thanks
Ashish Maggo

Follow the link given in the above post. You will find a lot of samples from which you can determine what suits you best.

A

ashishmaggo08

i am looking for calculation techinques, i already checked its not there.

thanks

S

samsung

i am looking for calculation techinques, i already checked its not there.

thanks

OK, I have picked up one sample (posted by Marty50 and is available in post attachment section) from the given list of attachments. The calculation is simple, just summation of all the parameters, a cut off value 14 and probably the author has assigned a value of 10 for 'Yes' and zero for 'No' (column I, 'regulated'). The author has also explained the significance of the factors used to evaluate the significance.

Sorry if I failed to understand what you precisely need.

N

nimbuszero

I have a somewhat related question to this topic. It may be a bit of a stretch, but I didn't feel like I should already be starting a 2nd thread in this forum after so few posts.

So, anyway, I've been working on my aspect identification. With advice from some of the esteemed members of this board, I feel as though I'm making decent progress. However, I'm preparing 4 distinct sites in 3 different states for ISO 14001 certification (hopefully). I've been working on the largest and by faaaaaaaaar the most complicated of the sites as this is where I'm currently anchored. Unfortunately I find that whenever I feel like I'm nearing the end of the identification process, I become aware of many more things that may be considered aspects.

What I'm curious about is whether it is generally considered necessary to have a 100% complete apsect identification / significance matrix before moving on, or if that is unrealistic. I'm currently contemplating visiting some of the smaller sites to see if I can complete those before coming back and finishing up at the larger facility.

kalehner

Involved - Posts
Most organizations embarking on the EMS implementation process greatly underestimate the level of competence needed to do a good job in identifying environmental aspects, impacts and deciding which are significant. It's sort of like landing an airplane. If you have never done it before the outcome can be a disaster.

The result of inept aspect identification will inevitably be an ineffective EMS. Do yourself and your organizations a favor and get professional help from someone who has done it many times. There are a zillion mediocre EMS consultants that will charge much and deliver little. Do your home work and check their references before you invest in their assistance.

Also, there are serious drawbacks to using a risk based approach to determining which environmental aspects are significant. A better outcome and more effective EMS will be achieved by establishing significance criteria (filters) for aspects such as:

1. Is the aspect regulated?
2. Is there potential for a significant impact from an unplanned release?
3. Are their other interested parties that care about the aspect like neighbors?
4. Is it costing lots of money to manage the aspect?
5. Is the scale or duration of the impact such that we should manage the aspect?

If an aspect is found to meet one of the criteria (gets caught on one of the filters) it should be considered significant or important to the organization and managed by the EMS (controlled, improved or both). If it passes all of the filters it should be considered insignificant or irrelevant to the organizations and ignored by the EMS.

Vitaliy

Registered
Dear All,

I want to know.......
...... Whether i should add them or multiply them.......

Ashish Maggo

Interesting question: To multiply or not to multiply? :)
Recently I found in the Internet very interesting study about the differences in multiplication and summing of points during evaluation of significance of environmental aspects. I'll leave this document here. May be it would be useful for somebody.

Attachments

• Paper_8_ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS AND IMPACTS multiplyVSsumm.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 616
Top Bottom