Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

Why don't we have more registrars actively participating in The Cove discussions?

• They are unaware of this forum

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • They are too busy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They don't have the smarts to participate

• They are afraid of exposing his opinions

• It is against company policy

• The Cove is not relevant to registrars

• I'm not sure.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

Boingo-boingo

Sydney Vianna wrote "....Some people would also associate the "caliber" of a registrar with the quality of information their representatives provide here at The Cove. There are a few of us, driven by transparency, who clearly disclose our professional affiliations. Others lurk in the shadows, afraid of engaging in any intelligent exchange.

There are a few of us who clearly show how differently we operate. How well we are involved with Industry issues and how much we communicate with our clients and other stakeholders. Others offer you a free quote..." in the post Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars?

Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?

there are only a handful of CB's truly represented here: BSi, DNV, NQA USA and to a lesser degree, a couple of smaller ones...

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?

AndyN

Moved On
Looking at the poll options it could be a number of factors (some not listed).

While many of us spend a good deal of our waking hours here, I'd venture to suggest that it's because we enjoy this type of discourse. Others may not, preferring face-to-face contact with 'real' not 'virtual' people, perhaps.:popcorn:

Maybe, if auditing's their everyday job, by the time an auditor gets back from 8 hours of ISO audit-graft, the last thing they want to do is read about somebody's poorly written nc statement and what the client should do about it! :lol:

Who knows?;)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
How many registrars is enough? Maybe it's just not apparent to you how many there are, but they just don't identify themselves as such. I can think of about a half-dozen, including yours truly in a couple of months.

I think the wording of at least two of the poll answers discourage response.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Sydney Vianna wrote "....Some people would also associate the "caliber" of a registrar with the quality of information their representatives provide here at The Cove. There are a few of us, driven by transparency, who clearly disclose our professional affiliations. Others lurk in the shadows, afraid of engaging in any intelligent exchange.

There are a few of us who clearly show how differently we operate. How well we are involved with Industry issues and how much we communicate with our clients and other stakeholders. Others offer you a free quote..." in the post Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars?

Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?

there are only a handful of CB's truly represented here: BSi, DNV, NQA USA and to a lesser degree, a couple of smaller ones...

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?

There is representation from SGS, DEKRA to name some more.... and am sure that there should be a representation from others too :)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
<snip> Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views? <snip>
I assume you mean with respect to participation in discussion threads. I think it's a matter of there being a small subset of people who like to help others and enjoy this type of venue.

Most registrars are probably aware of Elsmar, but their interest is mostly sales which they can do through advertising rather than direct participation. And I don't doubt that some may not necessarily want their employees to directly participate with the thought that any posts by an employee here *could* be taken as the registrar's position on a topic and don't want to be "locked in" to something posted here.

As to "...Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?...", I think more people have been getting "online" over the years (obviously) but the "corporatization" of the internet is happening fast. More and more people prefer LinkedIn, Facebook and even Google is tending more and more toward large, organized "social" sites. Elsmar is essentially a "mom and pop" place, not to mention Elsmar is a volunteer site. Many sites pay for people to answer peoples questions.

And Google is tending to tilt their search results towards "corporate" sites. There have been a lot of complaints in webmaster forums for a year or so and some recent changes have made it worse. Elsmar has been around for a long time so we still get quite a bit of traffic, but that is in flux.

Heck, I don't know. It's something I think about from time to time. Right now I'm just happy we have the great core group of "regulars" and moderators who help every day.

I know this is a bit wide for the question asked. I'm just doing some "thinking out loud".

Ronen E

Problem Solver
...Elsmar is essentially a "mom and pop" place, not to mention Elsmar is a volunteer site....

I think that's its beauty and strength and I hope it will never change.

...And Google is tending to tilt their search results towards "corporate" sites....

I know very little about what Google are doing, but from my own insignificant experience, whenever I search for something non-trivial related to medical devices regulation, Elsmar threads always come up in the first results page, typically on the top half (sometimes even first or second result). I wonder if it has something to do with Google* monitoring my own type of activity on an ongoing basis.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

Everyone have a good week,
Ronen.

*) I mean the software running on my laptop (I use Google Chrome), not the company of course.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
:topic:

This place is the embodiment of "community", IMHO. I enter into discussions on Linkedin, but there's no sense of "community" over there. It's either people selling themselves, or services or trying to make themselves look better than anyone else!

I do find quite a few people who come here and, of the auditors I know, try to encourage their participation. I guess it's just not for everyone!

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
:2cents: I didn't requote Sidney as I think that point has been well made.
<snip>Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?
Most registrars are in the money making business and taking part in discussion does not make money - at least not directly. It takes an individual who 'gets' the idea of a forum and its role in showing your company in a good light to do a good job of representing your registrar.

Similarly if you are not careful you can end up giving your employer a bad reputation. If you come across as either 'woolly' or inflexible (two sides of the same 'lack of knowledge' coin then why would someone looking for a potential registrar partner come to you? So it is easy to get a negative return on your investment.

Agreed, stand up Randy, Sidney and AndyN. All three are shining lights - you three don't always agree and we don't always agree with you but we always welcome your views and your contribution with your knowledge of the 'dark arts'! :D

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?</snip>
Not really. Think of the muscle behind the marketing departments of the CBs. 'So you want us to invest time and effort in putting our views across and we can't control the questions we answer or the subsequent behaviour of the people putting the questions?' How unappealing does that look? ;)

When I was running one of the smaller CBs we decided that it was worth investing some of our scarce time and effort - we knew we wouldn't get much business from it as we didn't have the global reach of the 'Majors' but it did help if you were able to point clients and potential clients to a valuable resource like the Cove for answers.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
:topic:

This place is the embodiment of "community", IMHO. I enter into discussions on Linkedin, but there's no sense of "community" over there. It's either people selling themselves, or services or trying to make themselves look better than anyone else!

I do find quite a few people who come here and, of the auditors I know, try to encourage their participation. I guess it's just not for everyone!
Also :topic: - But.....

Yup - Elsmar is Definitely NOT for everyone.

Car of the future.jpg

picture.php

This is stuff we went through years ago:

Six Sigma on LinkedIn said:
On 4/17/12 6:57 AM, Six Sigma at [email protected] wrote:

> LinkedIn
> ------------Group: Six Sigma
>
> Subject: Six Sigma Group cleanup
>
> Hi All,
> From past few months, I am noticing that this group is used more as a dumping
> ground for material from other websites and as a place to promote other
> groups/websites.
>
> To ensure that we do get full value from the group, I am imposing following
> rules from now on:
>
> 1> Under discussions, please only post the questions you would like to
> answered by fellow group members. Any one not following these rules will be
> blocked after doing so 2 times.
>
> 2> Under promotions, please post any thing which can be of value to other
> group members. i.e. free seminar/webinar, discount in books/conference etc.
>
> 3> Under jobs please post the jobs for which you are directly hiring or if yo
> are actively looking for.
>
> Any posts which is just a reference/link to another post or article from some
> other group or website will be deleted.
>
>
> Many Thanks and Happy sharing the knowledge.
>
> Posted By Sachin Agrawal

Elsmar is an old site, but I believe we have stayed with our values and integrity over many years. I am proud that we have kept Elsmar neutral and that we (well, I, technically) do not "share" or sell information about visitors and registered folks. I'm happy that Elsmar hasn't been "institutionalized" or compromised by bribes. I'm thrilled about how well we do at keeping :spam: out of the forums.

D

Deann Barnes

Hello Everyone! :bigwave:

I'm a "lurker" coming out of the shadows finally thanks to this particular posting! :)

I didn't realize that we were allowed to disclose what Registrar we work with, fearing it would violate the TOS here. I would love to participate and of course, if the opportunity arises to bring in a new client, I'd love that as well.

I am both an accredited AIEA and an Account Manager for ISA Registrar in Corona, CA. Guess that makes me twice as scary, eh? LOL

Top Bottom