Turnover Rates in Precision Machining

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm looking to benchmark turnover rates in a precision machining environment (automotive transmission components). Where would I go to get that type of info?

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Employee turnover rates? It would be all over the map, and dependent on the outfit. Some of those shops are well managed and nice outfits to work for, others are dungeons.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
But are there industry rates maintained by someone? Averages and ranges would be some sort of starting point.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I pretty much agree with Normzone - the metric would be worthless because precision machining operations range in size from one- and two-operator shops to behemoths with multiple locations and hundreds of operators on each of three shifts. The quality of management and the extent of what is actually "precision" vary greatly. When I was an owner, we ran an operation with very little turnover, while neighbors in our industrial neighborhood were plagued with vacancies.

I describe our operation in this twelve-year-old thread:
https://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105469&postcount=18]

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
If there are I've never seen them - the data would be too muddy to whittle.

[Wes] - I read it, and I don't like machine shop work (noise, scents and oil) but I'd come work for you.

EDIT: link to some muddy data from search for turnover - rate - employees

http://blog.accessperks.com/2016-employee-engagement-loyalty-statistics#1

OUR shop was sparkling clean, more like a showroom floor than typical machining environment. No dripping oil or coolant spray because these very expensive computer-controlled machines were designed to keep coolant on the product, not in the air or on the floor. Lubricating fluids were similarly captured and filtered. The electric motors on each machine ran as silently as a well-tuned luxury auto. The machines had soundproofing windowed housings around the cubic envelope where tool met workpiece so a normal conversation could be held anywhere. The true test of how well everything from machine to process was designed was that the shop could run "lights out" with only a maintenance man to load stock and change broken or worn tools. Electronic sensors checked on product at various points in process to determine if tool and process were working according to plan. Goal was ZERO nonconforming parts leaving the machine, saving lots of human inspection time and money.

Top Bottom