The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
anova (analysis of variance), evop (evolutionary operation of processes), minitab (statistical analysis software), statistical analysis and studies, taguchi designs and analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 28th November 2016, 06:55 PM
ShervinA

Total Posts: 8
Please Help! Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

Hi,
I have a GA code and I want to use the Taguchi Technique as a parameter tuning tool. I have 3 factors each with 3 levels. I used L9 array and I ran 9 experiments and entered the results.
The problem is that I don't get any ANOVA result and no interaction graphs. Would you please help me with this.

Thank you so much in advance.
Shervin

P.S. I attached the Minitab file.
Taguchi.MPJ

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 29th November 2016, 11:24 AM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,098
Look! Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA

Minitab's Taguchi analysis does not provide much flexibility, so I recommend that you analyze this using the GLM analysis under the ANOVA menu. Another option is to define it as a custom General Full Factorial DOE.

Unfortunately, you will find that you cannot analyze any interactions because there are insufficient degrees of freedom to create the ANOVA table.
Thank You to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 30th November 2016, 07:42 AM
ShervinA

Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA

Thank you so much for your help. It means a lot.
I have another question I have projects from a couple of years ago that I used Taguchi in Minitab and the ANOVA is reported during the Taguchi method process, but in this case, nothing more than signal to noise ratios are reported. I thought maybe something is wrong with my data.
I would be really grateful if you help me with this too.
  Post Number #4  
Old 30th November 2016, 09:12 AM
Miner

Look! Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ShervinA View Post

I have another question I have projects from a couple of years ago that I used Taguchi in Minitab and the ANOVA is reported during the Taguchi method process, but in this case, nothing more than signal to noise ratios are reported. I thought maybe something is wrong with my data.
If you attach the Minitab project file, I'll take a look. While I am quite familiar with Taguchi methods, I rarely use them anymore since I have found classical approaches to be be much better. I will have to review Minitab's capabilities in this area.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 30th November 2016, 11:34 AM
ShervinA

Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Miner View Post

If you attach the Minitab project file, I'll take a look. While I am quite familiar with Taguchi methods, I rarely use them anymore since I have found classical approaches to be be much better. I will have to review Minitab's capabilities in this area.
I guess I found the option under Taguchi design analysis as 'Fit linear model'. It didn't work so I used GLM as you mentioned and it worked. Thank you so much. However the r- sq value is equal to 63% and I guess I can't rely on Taguchi result. Do you think considering additional factors will help or Taguchi is not suitable at all for parameter tuning?!... (the Minitab file is attached in the first post)
I appreciate any ideas and thank you in advance for your brilliant ideas.
Thanks a ton!

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
  Post Number #6  
Old 30th November 2016, 12:55 PM
Miner

Look! Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

I don't like the reliance on S/N ratio. I understand why Taguchi went that route. His methodology was easier in the pre-computer days, and the engineers he was working with were in the telecommunications industry where S/N ratio was prevalent.

I now use classical methods and analyze the mean and standard deviations separately. Minitab adheres strictly to Taguchi's original approach and does not provide the options available under their classical designs.

I recommend using either classical designs, possibly including response surface methods, or an EVOP approach to tuning.
Thank You to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 30th November 2016, 01:11 PM
ShervinA

Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Miner View Post

I don't like the reliance on S/N ratio. I understand why Taguchi went that route. His methodology was easier in the pre-computer days, and the engineers he was working with were in the telecommunications industry where S/N ratio was prevalent.

I now use classical methods and analyze the mean and standard deviations separately. Minitab adheres strictly to Taguchi's original approach and does not provide the options available under their classical designs.

I recommend using either classical designs, possibly including response surface methods, or an EVOP approach to tuning.
Thank you so much for your ideasTaguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels
To be honest the first time you mentioned classical designs I thought you are talking about DOE full factorialTaguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels but now that you named response surface and EVOP approach you got me so interested, and I want to learn them. So I'll do some research.
Thanks a lot Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
  Post Number #8  
Old 30th November 2016, 03:12 PM
Miner

Look! Re: Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels

Don't forget that classical designs include fractional factorials and center points.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >