Instructions for writing Policies that support a QMS
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Instructions for writing Policies that support a QMS - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
policies and policy statements, instructions (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 6th August 2008, 11:29 AM
Dvora

Total Posts: 66
Re: Instructions for writing Policies that support a QMS

Correct - I completely agree.

We do not have the "HOW" in these policies with SIPOCs - we have statements like,

The Material Review Board will consist of at least the Quality Manager (or equivalent).
Nonconforming material will be quarantied per plant procedure
Customers will be contacted only via their assigned Dvisional representative, etc.

Likewise, the SIPOC is very top level - and gives a picture of the responsibilities, etc...

But no where in our policy do we state "HOW"

Dvora

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 6th August 2008, 11:31 AM
Dvora

Hi Randy,

I can bring these concerns to the QA Manager - but I don't think I'll be able to change the word - this was a standard implemented long before I came here... I'm just getting the documents together.

Though the issues you all raise could be the reason why no one is reading and correcting the "policies" appropriately.

Well, we shall see what happens...

Dvora
  Post Number #11  
Old 6th August 2008, 11:36 AM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,728

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dvora View Post

Hi Randy,

Though the issues you all raise could be the reason why no one is reading and correcting the "policies" appropriately.

Dvora

Could be, there is a great deal of psychology that comes into play with this type of activity and folks either don't recognize it or refuse to acknowledge it.
  Post Number #12  
Old 6th August 2008, 11:52 AM
Dvora

Now that question opens up a whole can of worms....

The psychology of business structure, business culture, power, authority, control....

My guess it is a combination of many of these things. Part of our issues is that most of the people here WANT change to improve our processes. It is management that is resistant... Since management introduced the whole Policy structure to the company a couple of years ago, they are very proud of themselves, but to see that the idea was right, the name wrong?

When I first came here I was told I'd be working on "Sales" materials - and had absolutely NO IDEA that I'd be working on the entire company's POLICY and PROCESS for Return Material Authorization - Here it is viewed as a "Sales" material because Sales starts and reviews the process.

I've told them several times that this process should be owned by QUality... to no avail... Sales people do the work... SO, the policy that SUPPORT the QMS is a divisional policy (DP) owned by Sales (CS for customer service, even though we have no such department)...

The Quality Manuals will now cite document DP-CS-xxx (not a designation I chose) as the supporting document for handling returned materials (from the customer).

They will site a DP-PU-xxx (purchasing POLICY) for the PROCESS of handling all suppliers, since this is managed by divisional purchasing for all of the plants.

Is it beginning to make sense? Psychologically - people don't want to change the "term" they just want to make the system work. I've not succeeded yet to help them understand that ambiguous terminology, by nature, leaves you with unclear information - and "wrong" terminology leads to wrong understanding of the information imparted

<Sigh> Maybe I need to move over to writing in sign language <grin>
  Post Number #13  
Old 6th August 2008, 12:18 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,728

What color is your parachute

You've got the bull by the horns here and it seems to be running towards a wall. Your problem is flowing down from the top and it's only there where the solution can come from.
  Post Number #14  
Old 6th August 2008, 12:42 PM
Dvora

I have a power pack with rockets... <grin>

I may be overly optimistic, but given time, the top will catch on... things are already better - they didn't used to have divisional quality to pull all the plants together... what was it my mom used to say? "Patience is a virtue, obtain it if you can..."
  Post Number #15  
Old 12th August 2008, 10:14 PM
JaneB

Total Posts: 3,518

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Dvora View Post

I would like to ask for your comments on this document - is it OK and would you add/change anything?
Gosh, quite a lot actually. I'd aim to make it much shorter and clearer.

Absolute minimum I'd change would be to replace the example 'Make a Phone Call' with a much better and more representative example. Think of the impression using such a trivial example is likely to produce.

Seriously, anyone who needs a flowchart for 'make a phone call' probably does not have the mental capacity required to even begin to read this document!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >