The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Outsider feedback on quality manual wanted

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
lean, quality manual(s), quality system manuals

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd December 2008, 02:59 PM
tmoreau

Total Posts: 46
Thank You! Outsider feedback on quality manual wanted

I'd love any feedback on the suitability of this QM for third party registration, if anything significant is lacking or conceptually flawed.

I based it on the several one-page examples found in the "The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to Do?" thread (can't post a link).
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf QM01 Quality Manual.pdf (71.9 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by tmoreau; 4th December 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: draw more readers

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd December 2008, 04:44 PM
ab001

Total Posts: 73
Re: Lean Quality Manual for new registration

We've been doing a similar thing. The guy before me started off on a plan - rejigging the words in the manual. So we've got things like work instructions that say " the widget procedure is enumerated in ..."
No-one on the floor has read them, and probably wouldn't gain anything by reading them.

After taking courage from reading the cove, I've created a document that actually describes what we do. It's just headings and a table of contents at the moment (using Word) but that will be the basis of our system
[can't post it at the moment]
Main headings will be covered by policies, next level down is a procedure, then drill down to work instructions.

we are going to process map everything (SIPOC). I'm hoping that every instruction can be one page - just a diagram and some notes.
  Post Number #3  
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:00 PM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,588
Re: Lean Quality Manual for new registration - Your feedback requested

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tmoreau View Post

I have been re-writing my companys procedures, and more recently, the quality manual. We were previously certified to the 1994 standard but since then a lot of things have changed and our documented system... well it fell apart years ago.

Our old quality manual is they type which paraphrases the entire Iso standard. It does nothing for us, its a complete burden. I have reviewed a lot of topics on this site and decided to pursue a very short graphical QM that will be useful in training every employee in the company, and provide a useful reference.

I'd love any feedback on the suitability of this QM for third party registration, if anything significant is lacking or conceptually flawed.
One question: You are using this to document the entire Quality Business System, in accordance with ISO9001:2008?

The flow-charts to me seem a little too busy. In my opinion, it is not easy to understand. But if it works for your company, then have at it.

I would like to know the results of the Stage 1 assessment (by a Registrar) on the acceptability of this as your Quality Business Manual.
  Post Number #4  
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:22 PM
tmoreau

Total Posts: 46

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Coury Ferguson View Post

One question: You are using this to document the entire Quality Business System, in accordance with ISO9001:2008?
Thats the Plan! I have looked at several one-page (usually tri-fold brochure type) quality manuals posted on this forum, and I prefer that idea to the opposite (paraphrased iso standard). It makes more work for an iso auditor, but much much less for the employees of our company.

We are at least a few months from trying for certification, but more of the system is coming online every day.
  Post Number #5  
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:33 PM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,588

Quote:

Thats the Plan! I have looked at several one-page (usually tri-fold brochure type) quality manuals posted on this forum, and I prefer that idea to the opposite (paraphrased iso standard). It makes more work for an iso auditor, but much much less for the employees of our company.

We are at least a few months from trying for certification, but more of the system is coming online every day.
I wish you luck on your goal for Registration. Just let us know in the Cove how this Flow-Chart Quality Business System was received by your Registrar.

I am curious on the acceptability of this document.
  Post Number #6  
Old 5th December 2008, 09:50 PM
JaneB

Total Posts: 3,518
Re: Need outsider feedback on quality manual

Quote:

I based it on the several one-page examples found in the "The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to Do?" thread (can't post a link).
Initial thoughts:

If this is the 'top-level, tie it all together' document, then I think page 1 in particular needs some work. Eg:
  • What is and where is your policy on quality? (I didn't see one included, nor referenced)
  • Where's the required commitment to 9001 and to continual improvement? You say you 'encourage' CI, but there's no actual commitment.
  • Where will your 'measurable objectives' be? (no reference)
  • You refer to a 'collection of documents' - which are they?
  Post Number #7  
Old 5th December 2008, 11:50 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,118
Question Re: Lean Quality Manual for new registration - Your feedback requested

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Coury Ferguson View Post

I wish you luck on your goal for Registration. Just let us know in the Cove how this Flow-Chart Quality Business System was received by your Registrar.

I am curious on the acceptability of this document.
I know of a number of companies who have used this type of document - with no problems from their CB. Why wouldn't it be acceptable, if it meets all the specified contents of ISO 9001............?

Auditors have to be flexible in the approach and a one page manual may be more value than a bulkier one.
  Post Number #8  
Old 5th December 2008, 11:51 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,118
Thumbs up Re: Need outsider feedback on quality manual

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JaneB View Post

Initial thoughts:

If this is the 'top-level, tie it all together' document, then I think page 1 in particular needs some work. Eg:
  • What is and where is your policy on quality? (I didn't see one included, nor referenced)
  • Where's the required commitment to 9001 and to continual improvement? You say you 'encourage' CI, but there's no actual commitment.
  • Where will your 'measurable objectives' be? (no reference)
  • You refer to a 'collection of documents' - which are they?
I agree with this Jane! However, if page one were modified, I like such an approach to a company manual for the (quality) management system.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >