CpK on a manufactured assembly?
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

CpK on a manufactured assembly?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
assembly (a "unit" made up of various parts), cpk (related to process capability)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 20th July 2018, 09:40 AM
FloridaST

Total Posts: 2
Please Help! CpK on a manufactured assembly?

Greetings, I'm new to the QA world and a customer is requesting a CpK on a manufactured box build assembly as part of their PPAP. Now I'm familiar with doing a CpK on items with actual measurable upper and lower limits but I'm a bit unsure as to where to start with this request. Essentially we're placing a circuit board into an enclosure and then potting it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 20th July 2018, 12:30 PM
outdoorsNW

Total Posts: 36
Re: CpK on a manufactured assembly?

Can you provide more details. What measurable output or characteristic is the customer asking you to calculate Cpk for?
Thanks to outdoorsNW for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 25th July 2018, 08:13 AM
FloridaST

Total Posts: 2

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by outdoorsNW View Post

Can you provide more details. What measurable output or characteristic is the customer asking you to calculate Cpk for?
The customer clarified and realized they asked for a CpK on the wrong thing.

Let me ask you this, who determines the measured characteristic when a CpK is requested? These aren't our products or designs, we simply build to specification. I'm not strong in this area so I really couldn't give much help to the customer.
  Post Number #4  
Old 25th July 2018, 08:25 AM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,433

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by FloridaST View Post

The customer clarified and realized they asked for a CpK on the wrong thing.

Let me ask you this, who determines the measured characteristic when a CpK is requested? These aren't our products or designs, we simply build to specification. I'm not strong in this area so I really couldn't give much help to the customer.
It should be based on your customer's needs.

If you get to pick, then pick the easy one.
Thank You to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 25th July 2018, 09:05 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,722

Echoing Golfman… it's based on the customer needs - if you are building to their specification then they should specify which characteristics are critical to quality (CTQ) and require some sort of capability analysis.
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th July 2018, 03:56 PM
ncwalker

Total Posts: 199

Customer needs is ONE aspect of it.

The purist answer is - you should do it on every measurable process you have. Who WOULDN'T want to know how capable they were on everything? More data means better data driven decisions, right?

Unfortunately, they cost to perform. AND some of your tolerances are really easy to hit. So you really want a strategy - let's do them on the things that count.

One of these is what your customer identifies as critical, as everyone has said. But there's a few more sources:

1) YOU may know some items are also critical. Your customer may not be the expert on your product.

2) There may be some features that are very difficult for whatever reason. They may not be critical, but they are still toleranced and just very tricky to make.

3) There may be some features that have little meaning to the part. They may not even be dimensioned or specified. But ... they may give you easy to measure metrics that the process is behaving.

So when you are deciding what to do a capability study, these are good things to think about. By no means do you have to do all of them, there should be some logic surrounding what you pick.
Thanks to ncwalker for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >