The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, quality, tqm (total quality management)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 24th August 2018, 01:58 PM
Jackstraw_777

Total Posts: 3
Let Me Help You Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department

The task of creating a quality department from the ground up (or Top Down right? lol) is a little intimidating. I have looked online and found some information but any suggestions on how and where to start would be great. I work for a business which specializes in injection molding (electrical connectors, smaller medical molded and over molded parts, etc.). I have a lot of reference material for lean Six Sigma, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, SPC, APQP, etc. and I was planning on starting by merging the inspection department with the new quality department which I am the only employee of both. We are growing and will be hiring people at all positions so I was hoping to have the foundation laid soon. Any ideas to simplify the implementation into smaller goals to be met would be awesome. Thanks in advance. (A little background on me; I have 5+ years design experience, 6+ years machining experience, drafting & design tech degree at 19 years old, back to college for double major in physics/mechanical engineering at 30 but couldn't afford to finish.)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 24th August 2018, 02:40 PM
outdoorsNW

Total Posts: 39
Re: Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department

A few questions to help everyone understand your situation:
  • How big of a company?
  • What are the problems?
  • What are the goals?
  Post Number #3  
Old 24th August 2018, 03:14 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319

Jack, have a look @ Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm

You can’t run a successful organization in the XXI century with archaic approaches to the management of Quality.

Good luck.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 24th August 2018, 03:47 PM
northbranch

Total Posts: 8

You may also want to consider integrating it with any other management systems that are in place (18001/14001) now. I've been asked to integrate all of our mature systems and it's very daunting since they're set up so differently. Just a thought.
  Post Number #5  
Old 25th August 2018, 03:40 AM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,660
Yin Yang Re: Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department

Jack,

Already your chief exec is responsible for creating and maintaining an organization (aka system) that helps her or his employees to understand and fulfill customer requirements.

You’ve been asked to help.

Do this not by creating a department that makes the employees think that you are taking this responsibility away from them.

Instead work with top management to help everyone understand how your company interacts with customers and suppliers to fulfill customer needs. How it works as a system to convert customer needs into cash in the bank (or, less crudely, “fulfill its mission”).

In doing this you’ll determine the processes (cross functional work) that are essential to the success of your company. Each of those processes should be assigned by top management to the person who knows best how it actually works (including across departmental boundaries and how the process interacts with other processes) in the system.

I recommend that you become proficient in deployment flowcharting so you can readily show who does what to fulfill the mission of the system and, in more detail, the objectives of each process.

To capture (document) and develop this system well you also need to understand how process-based systems work and the requirements specified of such systems. Select top-notch accredited lead auditor training and you should then know what questions to ask and how best to ask them when capturing and developing your company’s management system (don’t call it a ISO System!) so it can be understood, used and improved by all your colleagues.

That’ll be a great way to help the chief exec. You may even be referred to as the System and Audit Manager but not the head of the quality department.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

John

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >