The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

IMDS Warning Polymer Material Two Substances

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
imds (international material data system), polymeric materials and parts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 10th January 2018, 04:22 PM
nburns

Total Posts: 4
Please Help! IMDS Warning Polymer Material Two Substances

Kinda new to IMDS. Getting the error/warning "A polymer material (classification 5.1.b) should have at least two substances attached".

Does anyone know why this error occurs or how to get rid of it?

Apparently most people just ignore it but my boss claims it's an error and must be rectified.

If, in real life, the material is only made up of one basic substance, let's say for example, PTFE, then why can't we make a material with 100% PTFE in IMDS? This doesn't happen for other classifications like metal, only polymers.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1.bmp (516.9 KB, 41 views)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 10th January 2018, 05:49 PM
Johnnymo62

Total Posts: 49
Re: IMDS Warning Polymer Material Two Substances

I would have the wire supplier correct their MDS and re-propose it to you.

They will have to correct it anyways.
  Post Number #3  
Old 10th January 2018, 06:06 PM
nburns

I did that. Vendor has no idea how to fix it either. That's why I'm asking here.
  Post Number #4  
Old 11th January 2018, 09:50 AM
Johnnymo62

Total Posts: 49

Try checking an MDS from another magnet wire supplier to see how they did it.

It does need to be corrected because the OEMs normally do not accept any warnings or errors.

Sorry I don't have anymore help.
  Post Number #5  
Old 11th January 2018, 10:06 AM
nburns

I did that too. Some other vendors will put in 99% of the actual basic substance, and then put in 1% of "Misc - Not to declare". This removes the warning, but my boss tells me this is 'cheating' and I can't do it.

Still other vendors will just ignore the warning, because it's a 'warning', not an 'error', but again my boss says we have to fix warnings too.

I have also thought of switching basic substance from something like PTFE (teflon) to its actual elements like 40% Carbon, 10% Hydrogen, etc... I haven't seen a case where any other vendor did it that way, so I suspect that's not a typical solution.

Anyway I do thank you very much for your help.
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th March 2018, 05:58 PM
Kimmy

Total Posts: 54

He created the Poliamideimide Enamel material in IMDS and classified it as a polymer, one of the Class 5 materials. Anything in that category has to be made of at least two substance that react in order to create a polymer material. If he doesn't know what two or more substances made up the Poliamideimide Enamel then he would have to use a different classification like 7.3, other compounds. The correct way to do it however is to find the composition of the enamel.
  Post Number #7  
Old 8th March 2018, 01:10 PM
nburns

Yep. Ultimately I had my vendor determine the second substance and resubmit the MDS with more than one substance included. Apparently the prevailing belief within IMDS is that you can't have 100% pure plastics, they always have to have at least two kinds of stuff in them.

Thanks again you guys.
  Post Number #8  
Old 18th April 2018, 12:45 PM
Grayline

Total Posts: 5

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion. I had a similar issue with a polyamide hot melt adhesive. The vendor verified that it was a pure polymer with no additives. Customers kept rejecting it because of the warning.

I emailed IMDS support and got the letter that I attached. In summary, a warning is not grounds for a rejection. The rejection "needs to be clearly motivated on why the cause of the warning is a reason for rejection".

That said, however, I can attest that you will continue to get rejections form many customers any time there is a warning - valid or not. One way to get around the warning is to simple add a small percentage, maybe 1%, as Misc, Not to declare. The data is still technically accurate as there is nothing to prevent the 1% Misc substance from being the same as the 99% reported substance.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf IMDS_SC_letter_on_warnings.pdf (12.4 KB, 22 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >